What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

Charlie's ego wont allow him to become an assistant in the NFL.

He may never feel the need to work a sideline again, he is about to be a very wealthy man. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go into broadcasting, like every other former ND coach in recent history except Willingham.

He may never feel the need to work a sideline again, he is about to be a very wealthy man. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go into broadcasting, like every other former ND coach in recent history except Willingham.

...and into the movies, like Holtz. A good reason to avoid the new Bullock movie.

OK, I'll leave the DH speculation to other threads since it is more than completely covered there.

UNLV- Sanford out, Cal OC ludwig in the hunt.

SJSU- Tomey retiring

Louisville- Kyle Shananhan and Harbuagh ( yeah, right) or Leach? that would be interesting

Stanford- Trying to extend Harbaugh...good move IMO.

ND- Fat Chralie as good as gone, Stoops apparently interrested in talking to ND.

Heads begin to roll...

This carousel may be more interesting given the DH situation.

Stay tuned....

Its Official!

Mike Sanford has been fired

UNLV has no interest in upgrading anything related to their football program, they have fallen far behind almost every school in their conference and that decline has been very visible. Whoever takes that job will have to use any sort of progress made there as a stepping stone to a better job.

Its Official!

Mike Sanford has been fired

UNLV has no interest in upgrading anything related to their football program, they have fallen far behind almost every school in their conference and that decline has been very visible. Whoever takes that job will have to use any sort of progress made there as a stepping stone to a better job.

There is an AD with some cajones...

Sanford, 54, will be paid a $225,000 buyout, under terms of a three-year contract extension the coach signed last year.

Sanford had been watched closely by Smatresk and Koloskie since Oct. 3, when UNLV lost 63-28 to rival Nevada, allowing 773 total yards.

After that game, Smatresk said he would evaluate Sanford on a game-by-game basis and expressed concern for players and fans.

I would be interested to see if Stoops has any interest in that job. He is perfectly safe at OU - but I have to wonder if he is feeling a little heat. He hasn't beaten Texas in, what, four years? He is getting quite a lot of smack locally for their record this season - even though they have a ton of injuries - and I think it's possible they still lose another game. This is his 11th season at OU. His star has faded a great deal over the past few years.

I think so much of moves like this rely on timing. The only two jobs I'd EVER see Stoops leave OU for are Florida and Notre Dame. I think ND might be in the right timing for Stoops. The fans down here are going crazy and there's a decent chance the Sooners lose this weekend at Tech and then against OSU at home. Now, they SHOULD beat the Cowboys because OU is insane at home, but the Cowboys are the better team at this point, so OU could go 6-6.

IF that happens... I think he pulls the ripcord because Oklahoma will be like Vietnam at the fall of Saigon. But if he left for South Bend, he'd instantly be a national media darling and feed that huge ego of his. And yes, he is Catholic and I've heard on more than one ocassion that his wife hates Norman, so we'll see.

Why the hell would Stoops leave Norman? OU is a premier program. ND is a rebuilding project.

He makes a freaking ton of money at Oklahoma. I am sure they would up his compensation if necessary to keep him there.

I don't see why a successful coach would leave that program.

Why the hell would Stoops leave Norman? OU is a premier program. ND is a rebuilding project.

He makes a freaking ton of money at Oklahoma. I am sure they would up his compensation if necessary to keep him there.

I don't see why a successful coach would leave that program.

Some posters are very astute.

Perhaps there is a player he get to come to ND that he can't get to come to Norman. I don't know.

In terms of qualifying, though, I'd doubt it. Recruiting is a cakewalk where he is now. Location and requirement-wise.

Stoops seems like the kind of guy who thrives on challenges. He may be bored in Norman and wants a rebuilding effort.
Notre Dame really isn't a rebuilding effort.

They consistently have Top 15 classes, all they need is a system that works on offense, a new defensive scheme, and better player development.

Stoops really has built Oklahoma back up but if he goes to Notre Dame and builds them back up he will become a legend in college football, staying at Oklahoma just makes him a legend in Oklahoma.

Notre Dame really isn't a rebuilding effort.

They consistently have Top 15 classes, all they need is a system that works on offense, a new defensive scheme, and better player development.

Stoops really has built Oklahoma back up but if he goes to Notre Dame and builds them back up he will become a legend in college football, staying at Oklahoma just makes him a legend in Oklahoma.

So you're saying Holtz is a legend somewhere besides his own mind? Aaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!! :wow:

RichRod is on the hot seat, and it is now looking a little hotter, apparently the CARA logs from 2008 are missing. Maybe somebody else knows more, but my understanding is the CARA log shows how the University complied with NCAA practice limitations. If that results in an infraction, UM can give Rich Rod the hook for cause...and not pay him a penny more. OUCH. Detroit Free Press is reporting this. No word on whether anybody is left in Detroit to read that paper...

Stoops seems like the kind of guy who thrives on challenges. He may be bored in Norman and wants a rebuilding effort.
He ought to be plenty challenged in Norman. His team is 6-4, with the very real possibility of finishing 6-6.

RichRod is on the hot seat, and it is now looking a little hotter, apparently the CARA logs from 2008 are missing. Maybe somebody else knows more, but my understanding is the CARA log shows how the University complied with NCAA practice limitations. If that results in an infraction, UM can give Rich Rod the hook for cause...and not pay him a penny more. OUCH. Detroit Free Press is reporting this. No word on whether anybody is left in Detroit to read that paper...
If RichRod goes

Goodbye Les Miles at LSU, Michigan will scoop him up this time.

SJSU- a new name being tossed around...Mark Helfrich. Old Helmet Cam himself is being suggested as a replacement for Tomey.

RichRod as good as gone per Michael Wilbon, if that means anything to you.

This year's carousel could be very entertaining. The Irish could be flopping around looking for a HC, Michigan, KU, CU, UVa, Louisville and others could be out there. If Stoops goes to ND and Leach tries to get another gig like he does every year, the Big 12 could have some fresh new faces next fall.

Here's something scary to ponder...Brian Kelly at OU.

SJSU- a new name being tossed around...Mark Helfrich. Old Helmet Cam himself is being suggested as a replacement for Tomey.

RichRod as good as gone per Michael Wilbon, if that means anything to you.

This year's carousel could be very entertaining. The Irish could be flopping around looking for a HC, Michigan, KU, CU, UVa, Louisville and others could be out there. If Stoops goes to ND and Leach tries to get another gig like he does every year, the Big 12 could have some fresh new faces next fall.

Here's something scary to ponder...Brian Kelly at OU.

Kelly would be stupid to leave the midwest for another college football HC job, going to a different region would be extremely tough for a coach with no assistant or coaching history in that region.

Maybe its just me but I think he should stay at Cincy and continue to build that program up. Cincy is still a BCS school, and hes putting pressure on the administration to continue improving the football facilities.

Oh, come on. You get a chance to go to a place like OU you take it.

Agreed. Cincy could very well be undefeated this season and not make the national championship. That should be motivation right there to get up and leave the Big East.

FWIW. Kelly to OU is a pure guess on my part. It seems like a good fit to me. BK runs a version of the spread and so does OU. The palyers are there and BK has stepped in and made good use of other coaches' talent. Just a thought.

Agreed. Cincy could very well be undefeated this season and not make the national championship. That should be motivation right there to get up and leave the Big East.

we gotta root for them to MAKE IT.....

Texas loses to Kansas....

Florida loses to Florida State....

Alabama loses to Florida.....

TCU v. Cincinatti for the BCS National Championship game gets us closer to a playoff!!!!!

Im not saying he wont take it due to the money, but it would be dumb for him to leave the midwest where hes coached his entire career to head down into Oklahoma where he has to deal with their unrealistic expectations and know he will never be "good enough" no matter what he does.

Thats because Cincy isn't a power "yet".

If he can turn Cincy into a consistent power in the Big East it will give them a better opportunity and starting point to reach a BCS NC.

Thats because Cincy isn't a power "yet".

If he can turn Cincy into a consistent power in the Big East it will give them a better opportunity and starting point to reach a BCS NC.

you are right.... but that theory is horrible. That is another way of keeping a good team out of the game because they don't have a history of being good...

Teams should be judged on how they are in one year, not building a resume for a few years so that they can get consideration...

FWIW. Kelly to OU is a pure guess on my part. It seems like a good fit to me. BK runs a version of the spread and so does OU. The palyers are there and BK has stepped in and made good use of other coaches' talent. Just a thought.
I know, I was just giving my 2 cents about the idea.:smile:

The best hire IMO for Oklahoma to make if Stoops did leave would be Ken Norton Jr, lead recruiter at USC.

The way I've always seen it is that the best way to find success at Oklahoma is to outrecruit Texas, and then beat them with it in Dallas. Putting someone experienced in charge to handle the offense while focusing on the defensive side of the ball could really work down there.

Back