What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

you are right.... but that theory is horrible. That is another way of keeping a good team out of the game because they don't have a history of being good...

Teams should be judged on how they are in one year, not building a resume for a few years so that they can get consideration...
Its a double edged sword.

TCU may very well be the best team in the country, but if they go to a BCS Bowl game and get demolished similar to Hawaii a few years ago it just makes people think the BCS should remain only for BCS conference winners.

Then you have the cases of Boise State from a few years ago and Utah from last year that proved their worth by beating traditional powers.

Either way a Playoff is needed, but there would still be complaints for teams left out.

Would Rich Rod take the Louisville job if he got canned from Michigan? He seems like a perfect fit back in the Big East at a school that doesn't mind "bending the rules" for athletics. The West Virginia-Louisville game would then really have some hate in it from both sides!

Brian Kelly would then probably be the favorite for either or both the Notre Dame and Michigan jobs. Not sure on Stoops to Notre Dame, but I think the Irish will try to strike first before Michigan makes up its mind about RichRod.

If OU did lose Stoops, wouldn't they just promote either Venables or Wilson? Venables especially is a "hot list" candidate for HC jobs at other BCS programs, why would they bring in an outside guy?

Kansas would surely look at Venables if they dump Mangino, but Mike Leach could be a coup for them, if he would consider it over Louisville.

Hawkins to SJSU would be a perfect fit, if he could swallow his pride and take that job immediately upon being canned. Curious if UNLV would offer Hawk to bring the Love to Sin City.

Haven't heard any rumors out of Virginia yet, but Charlie Strong would be at the top of my list if I were them. Also, I wonder of Illinois would consider replacing Zook with Strong?

Would Rich Rod take the Louisville job if he got canned from Michigan? He seems like a perfect fit back in the Big East at a school that doesn't mind "bending the rules" for athletics. The West Virginia-Louisville game would then really have some hate in it from both sides!
No.

RichRod is not a hot candidate anymore in college football, if he gets fired hes better off going to a school with no expectations and trying to build there.

Brian Kelly would then probably be the favorite for either or both the Notre Dame and Michigan jobs. Not sure on Stoops to Notre Dame, but I think the Irish will try to strike first before Michigan makes up its mind about RichRod.
Both have a SEC coach #1 on their respective lists they will contact first.

If OU did lose Stoops, wouldn't they just promote either Venables or Wilson? Venables especially is a "hot list" candidate for HC jobs at other BCS programs, why would they bring in an outside guy?
Because OU fans aren't fond of Bob's current assistants the way that other programs are.

Kansas would surely look at Venables if they dump Mangino, but Mike Leach could be a coup for them, if he would consider it over Louisville.
Mike Leach to Kansas? Why?

Turner Gill's name has been picking up steam regarding that job.

Hawkins to SJSU would be a perfect fit, if he could swallow his pride and take that job immediately upon being canned. Curious if UNLV would offer Hawk to bring the Love to Sin City.
Either way it will be good for him with the buyout coming his way.

Haven't heard any rumors out of Virginia yet, but Charlie Strong would be at the top of my list if I were them.
Dooley or London.
Its going to be a toss up either way.

Also, I wonder of Illinois would consider replacing Zook with Strong?
The AD ruled Zook safe this season, but a bad start in 2010 will put him in the unemployment line.

Taggert, AC from Stanford, gets the Western Kentucky job.

Weis is pretty much done after tanking to UConn. Meyer, who's said he isn't levaing UF, Stoops and Kelly are on the Irish shopping list.

Mangino is as good as gone from KU after UT did them in, and MM went UFC on some players. Gill and Edsall are supoposedly on the short list at KU.

Friedgen is probably gone from Maryland.

RichRod may survive another year.

UNLV is looking at Bob Simmons, Pat Hill and maybe even...gasp, Dennis Franchione.

Leach says he's staying at TT. So, my guess is he'll be moving on this year.

Taggert, AC from Stanford, gets the Western Kentucky job.

Weis is pretty much done after tanking to UConn. Meyer, who's said he isn't levaing UF, Stoops and Kelly are on the Irish shopping list.

Mangino is as good as gone from KU after UT did them in, and MM went UFC on some players. Gill and Edsall are supoposedly on the short list at KU.

Friedgen is probably gone from Maryland.

RichRod may survive another year.

UNLV is looking at Bob Simmons, Pat Hill and maybe even...gasp, Dennis Franchione.

Leach says he's staying at TT. So, my guess is he'll be moving on this year.

The Fridge isn't leaving Maryland, his buyout would be costly and his replacement is already on his staff. He said hes leaving in 2011, and over the next 2 seasons they will ease the transition of the program to Franklin. Wouldnt make sense for them to fire him after they graduated 1/2 of their team last year.

The Fridge isn't leaving Maryland, his buyout would be costly and his replacement is already on his staff. He said hes leaving in 2011, and over the next 2 seasons they will ease the transition of the program to Franklin. Wouldnt make sense for them to fire him after they graduated 1/2 of their team last year.

Interesting. I've always thought Friedgen was a pretty good caoch. I didn't know they had their replacemetn already on staff.

Meyer comes out and dispels any talk about him going to ND. Hopefully he's not lying:

AINESVILLE, Fla. -- Standing behind the same podium where quarterback Tim Tebow delivered his now-famous promise 14 months and 21 wins ago, coach Urban Meyer vowed Monday to be at Florida "as long as they'll have me."

With rumors swirling about Charlie Weis' future at Notre Dame, Meyer squashed any potential speculation about leaving Gainesville for South Bend, Ind.

"I'm ready to dispel it," Meyer said. "I'm going to be the coach at Florida as long as they'll have me. So I want to make that clear."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4682614

Interesting. I've always thought Friedgen was a pretty good caoch. I didn't know they had their replacemetn already on staff.
Yeah Fride is a good coach but hes gotten some of the locals' hopes up way too high after his start and it finally took the 07' season for people to realize those seasons were more of coincidence rather than a consistent. If he gets forced out I'd be shocked, but people are upset with the state of both basketball and football because both programs have been running on a treadmill for the last 6 years.

James Franklin is the next HC but he can't coach worth a damn, the failure of the offense is completely on his shoulders and the veteran defense saved the offenses ass all of last season. But Franklin could sell a slug salt, hes one of the top 10 football recruiters in the country in my opinion and the classes coming in will get even better when he has the final call on a guy rather than Ralph.

Meyer comes out and dispels any talk about him going to ND. Hopefully he's not lying:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4682614

I didnt see him going to ND anyways. You can't really succeed at a program like that with a special system offense that requires specific skill set players to make it work.

No matter what they're going to be worse next season without Clausen, Tate, Allen, and probably a bunch of other guys who transfer.

Al Groh out at UVA, Chuck Neinas hired to help with the search. Somebody ought to call UVA and tell them to look out for another turd Chucky might lay. Apparently for every Stoops, he drops a Hawk.

Snyder out at Marshall, somebody tell Hawk there is a whole state of people in WVA, who have never even seen a juicebox, he might be tempted, it is definitely worth a try.

Could be a huge week on the coaching front...at least for programs with AD's who give a damn about winning.

Al Groh out at UVA, Chuck Neinas hired to help with the search. Somebody ought to call UVA and tell them to look out for another turd Chucky might lay. Apparently for every Stoops, he drops a Hawk.

Snyder out at Marshall, somebody tell Hawk there is a whole state of people in WVA, who have never even seen a juicebox, he might be tempted, it is definitely worth a try.

Could be a huge week on the coaching front...at least for programs with AD's who give a damn about winning.

Surprising they would hire a consultant, seems like they have 3-4 top choices to pick from in their own backyard.

Surprising they would hire a consultant, seems like they have 3-4 top choices to pick from in their own backyard.

ADs love to hire consultants because I believe its ultimately cheaper for them. I think it lets them test the water with certain candidates without directly contacting them. The consultant also probably brings to the table a lot of background stuff on who the coach is sleeping with, what his family is like, his relationship to his current employer, why he was fired before, what their graduation rates are, etc. I'd bet the consultant also probably makes it his business to socialize with some of these coaches and knows who the hot names are that are looking for another job.

Kinda helps you avoid the George O'Learys and Mike Price's of the world.

Boom. Charlie Weis out at ND. I had grown to like this guy nearly as much as Gerry Faust.

Boom. Charlie Weis out at ND. I had grown to like this guy nearly as much as Gerry Faust.

Over/under on how many coaches turn down ND before they get their guy?

I'm going with 2. Ultimately, I think they end up with Brian Kelly, but they think they're too good for him right now, so they'll try Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll and maybe Bob Stoops before they finally settle for Kelly.

I'm going with 2. Ultimately, I think they end up with Brian Kelly, but they think they're too good for him right now, so they'll try Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll and maybe Bob Stoops before they finally settle for Kelly.

I am going to have to argue with you on that one for the reasons below ... world traveler. :smile:

Last edited:

Who knows if this is true or just some gossip, but listening to Rivals Radio the other day, a caller said that there was a rumor that Kelly had had an affair with a student at a prior job a while back and because of that ND would not pursue him. The host said he had heard that rumor also. If they don't pursue him, that may be a reason why.

The host also said he worked on the Kerry campaign, and that may be an issue for ND because of Kerry's pro-choice stance. Again, maybe just bs

The host also said he worked on the Kerry campaign, and that may be an issue for ND because of Kerry's pro-choice stance. Again, maybe just bs

That little issue didn't keep them from having BHO speak at campus, why would it get in the way of a FB coach?

Does this mean they would not consider Switzer?? :smile2:

UBT outburst in 3...2...1...

Who knows if this is true or just some gossip, but listening to Rivals Radio the other day, a caller said that there was a rumor that Kelly had had an affair with a student at a prior job a while back and because of that ND would not pursue him. The host said he had heard that rumor also. If they don't pursue him, that may be a reason why.

This is why ND always ends up with their 3rd or 4th choice. They have this over-inflated sense of self importance that allows them to make choices based on ridiculous garbage like whether the person is pro-choice or dipped his pen in the company well a time or two. If they want to win, they're going to have to realize they're just another school, and that they're no better than anybody else. That will probably never happen, which is why they'll continue to be mediocre for the forseeable future.

This is why ND always ends up with their 3rd or 4th choice. They have this over-inflated sense of self importance that allows them to make choices based on ridiculous garbage like whether the person is pro-choice or dipped his pen in the company well a time or two. If they want to win, they're going to have to realize they're just another school, and that they're no better than anybody else. That will probably never happen, which is why they'll continue to be mediocre for the forseeable future.

so does this ND may hire Bubba Clinton?:smile2:

so does this ND may hire Bubba Clinton?:smile2:

It's why they wouldn't hire Bubba, even if he were just going there to be a fundraiser. Stupid, arrogant, self-important morons. I can't stand Clinton, but I'd love to have him raising money for CU.

Back