What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel....

Damn it Arizona why did you have to hire a legit coach? Now they will be competing with Oregon for a specific type of recruits which is annoying.

I guess I do not understand why Briles would be eager to jump to Ole Miss. He is a Texas guy through and through. He was born and raised there, played high school football there, played college football there, coached high school football there, and finally his two college head coaching jobs have both been in Texas.

I get Baylor is not the greatest job in the world, but is Briles really ready to leave Texas for... Ole Miss?
AB leaving TX doesn't make a lot of sense on some levels. But then again, the only jobs avalible that are better than BU in TX are UT, aTm, TT, TCU, in that order. None of those jobs are coming up anytime soon, and he has done all have is ever going to do with BU. So I could see him exiting stage right with RG III and giving it a go somewhere else. He could still recruit TX kids to Ole Miss and playing aTm in state would actually make that a job a little easier.

RichRod to AZ I do not like, that guy is a good coach IMO, and his system is scary if he can get the players. He apparently turned down Tulane to day, so the AZ gig may be a reality....

Last edited:
AB leaving TX doesn't make a lot of sense on some levels. But then again, the only jobs avalible that are better than BU in TX are UT, aTm, TT, TCU, in that order. None of those jobs are coming up anytime soon, and he has done all have is ever going to do with BU. So I could see him exiting stage right with RG III and giving it a go somewhere else. He could still recruit TX kids to Ole Miss and playing aTm in state would actually make that a job a little easier.

RichRod to AZ I do not like, that guy is a good coach IMO, and his system is scary if he can get the players. He apparently turned down Tulane to day, so the AZ gig may be a reality....

Good points. Sometimes in the coaching ranks, it is all about striking while the iron is hot. I just think it would take a special job to lure Briles out of Texas. Ole Miss is a dead end job in my eyes, nothing particularly special about it.

Good points. Sometimes in the coaching ranks, it is all about striking while the iron is hot. I just think it would take a special job to lure Briles out of Texas. Ole Miss is a dead end job in my eyes, nothing particularly special about it.
I agree about Ole Miss being nothing special, but BU is bound to take a serious header when RG III leaves. AB will be actively looking for a job in amonth or so...I would if I were him.

Sumlin is a name bouncing around vis a vis the ASU job, there is another P12 S hire that could be bad for CU. RichRod at AZ and Sumlin at ASU would not be good....I was hoping AZ would go back and get Sonny Dykes.

Not quite as sold on Sumlin as most everyone else, but that would still be a pretty solid hire for ASU. Sounds like the announcement of Rodriguez to Arizona could be tonight.

Pac 12 money came a year too late. Unless we hit with Embree (long shot), we could end up being the Arkansas of hte pac 12. 20 years and a ton of upgrades before we are relevant.

Not sure why anyone would be happy with Arizona hiring Rodriguez.

Honestly I don't really have a strong feeling either way. DickRod had a great run at his alma mater in a weak ass conference and had one of the biggest choke jobs of all time with a trip the the national title on the line. I figure he is a 50/50 shot at Arizona, and they don't have the fan support that West Virginia does.

Also, Arizona is a defensive mess and we all know how great his D was at meatchicken.

Last edited:
Pac 12 money came a year too late. Unless we hit with Embree (long shot), we could end up being the Arkansas of hte pac 12. 20 years and a ton of upgrades before we are relevant.

My thought exactly. Coaches salaries are about to go through the roof in the Pac 12. We're stuck with Embree, for better or worse, for another 2 years at a minimum. Meanwhile, UCLA, AZ and ASU are going to go out and find big name coaches and pay them gobs and gobs of money. Money that we have, but can't spend because we're stuck.

sigh.

My thought exactly. Coaches salaries are about to go through the roof in the Pac 12. We're stuck with Embree, for better or worse, for another 2 years at a minimum. Meanwhile, UCLA, AZ and ASU are going to go out and find big name coaches and pay them gobs and gobs of money. Money that we have, but can't spend because we're stuck.

sigh.
I think JE's contract is favorable from a termination standpoint. Assuming Bohn didn't extend him after the Arizona game...

I'd be more concerned about Rodriguez going to Zona than Sumlin going to ASU. Add me to the 'not quite sold on Sumlin' club

sigh.

I honestly think you are not giving Embree a fair shake. We have known that Embree is going to need a while, just as Mac said, to rebuild what Hawkins burnt down. Embree is Colorado to the core, Dickrod is a snake that will go to the highest bidder. I'm still fully on board with Embo. I think people are just missing the new car smell of the coaching search excitement.

I'd be more concerned about Rodriguez going to Zona than Sumlin going to ASU. Add me to the 'not quite sold on Sumlin' club

It remains to be seen what Sumlin would do at the BCS level, but you cannot argue the success he has had the past several years. He has a system and does a good job recruiting to that system. I think that would actually be a good pick up for ASU if they got him. Additionally, he brings his built in ties to Houston, a talent-rich area from a recruiting standpoint. Could be selling the guy a bit short.

I wonder if Mangino is going to make some sort of comeback into coaching. I figure he'd probably be great at a MWC school. CSU would be smart to give him a call.

I wonder if Mangino is going to make some sort of comeback into coaching. I figure he'd probably be great at a MWC school. CSU would be smart to give him a call.
if they do... they better hide cam...

​MANGINO HUNGRY NOM NOM NOM

ncf_u_mangino_576.jpg

Mangino at altitude? Bad idea, that dude is a massive stroke waiting to happen, frankly I am surprised he survived his visits to Boulder.

Rumors of Al Golden to Penn State have started.

The following is quoted from the Miami Herald at http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/23/2515055/al-golden-vague-about-future-with.html

Before Tuesday, Golden had only been invited to address rumors and offered only the banal, “I can’t worry about what other people are saying.”

On Tuesday, he was asked directly, on an ACC conference call.

The first query was phrased awkwardly and he said, “I’m sorry now?” The second was rephrased and he said, “I don’t understand. Is there a question there?”

Finally, the question was put, “Do you have absolutely no interest in the Penn State job?”
Golden’s response: “The question has been posed the last couple of weeks, and I said over and over again, I’m happy here. I’m excited about what we’re doing with our program. I’m excited about the recruiting class that we’re putting together, and clearly excited about what our team has done.”
That’s a lot of excitement. That’s also a clever non-answer.

The needed follow-up question was put, “Does that mean you’re absolutely going to coach at Miami in 2012?”
Said Golden: “I believe I’m going to be the head coach of Miami in 2012, that’s correct.”

If Golden leaves, the Canes may have difficulty attracting other candidates given the ongoing NCAA investigation. I would go after up and comer Mario Cristobal at FIU if Golden does indeed split. Finally, this may help us with recruitment of RB Wes Brown.

I read that about Golden, it sounded odd to me too....I heard when the Shapiro stuff broke, he had a sit down with the UM folk and basically said he was very unhappy because he felt like he got roped into something without being told all the facts. My hunch is he is looking for the exit....

I read that about Golden, it sounded odd to me too....I heard when the Shapiro stuff broke, he had a sit down with the UM folk and basically said he was very unhappy because he felt like he got roped into something without being told all the facts. My hunch is he is looking for the exit....
But out of the frying pan...

tOSU AD on the way out according to some reports...tattooogate claims another....

Urban to tOSU looks like it is pretty solid. UM was scheduled to do the broadcast of tOSU-Meatchicken but has withdrawn.

Braxton Miller running UM's spread would take off right away IMO.

Glen Mason is the new HC at New Mexico.

Lots of talk that Zook is going to be fired at Illinois with their latest tank job in progress (started 6-0 and now stand at 6-4). There was also some off-field stuff over the weekend involving a few different players.

Illinois is in the process of getting stomped by Minnesota :wow: today. Looks like they'll end the season 6-6 after the 6-0 start. Gotta think Zook is history there.

Honestly, if he's going to get another job I'd prefer that it be in the Pac-12 than a Big XII-I-I-I-I+1+1(?) job. If we're going to have to compete against him in our region, we might as well get to play against the ****** teams his great recruits turn into... :lol:

Actually, I might prefer he land a DC job somewhere a hell of a lot closer to my heart, but that's probably a thought for another thread...

Back