What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching & preparation are vital this week.

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
It's obvious there's a book on how to play CU right now. Stack the line, make Cody throw the ball. So what do the coaches do this week to combat this? What kind of plays do they put in to loosen things up? We all know Cody's limitations. Hawk has said he's not going to make a change at QB. So what are they going to do to give Cody a better chance to be successful? Clearly just doing what they've been doing for the last three weeks, just doing it better, isn't going to cut it.

Run the ball 50 times. Cody can be effective as a game manager. Don't make him throw more than 18 times or so and we have a much better chance to win.

I still don't understand the concept of having an offense that features the QB when it's one of the bigger weaknesses of our team.

Just run the damn ball, and run it a lot, and we will be fine.

It's obvious there's a book on how to play CU right now. Stack the line, make Cody throw the ball. So what do the coaches do this week to combat this? What kind of plays do they put in to loosen things up? We all know Cody's limitations. Hawk has said he's not going to make a change at QB. So what are they going to do to give Cody a better chance to be successful? Clearly just doing what they've been doing for the last three weeks, just doing it better, isn't going to cut it.

A few thoughts. The draw, perhaps a screen or two, but screens are a little harder against a 3-4, which I believe is the preferred D of the kitties. A commitment to the run from formations which actually have a chance to outnumber the D at the point of attack. I prefer the I but they have had some creative formations from an offset I and with an H back. But unfortunately, the shotgun one RB set seems to be the predominant, and IMO that isn't going to work unless a). you have a credible QB run threat and b). you can burn a D long every now and again.....

Run the ball 50 times. Cody can be effective as a game manager. Don't make him throw more than 18 times or so and we have a much better chance to win.

I still don't understand the concept of having an offense that features the QB when it's one of the bigger weaknesses of our team.

Just run the damn ball, and run it a lot, and we will be fine.

I'd love to see it, but the book says that Speedy can beat you, so you game plan to stop him and forget about Cody. We've seen that in the last three games. We'll be up against 8 and 9 man fronts all day long. There's no way to get a numbers advantage in a situation like that, and our O-Line is too banged up to effectively punch holes in that kind of defense. Cody HAS to step up, and the coaches HAVE to put together a game plan that will allow him to be successful.

I'd love to see it, but the book says that Speedy can beat you, so you game plan to stop him and forget about Cody. We've seen that in the last three games. We'll be up against 8 and 9 man fronts all day long. There's no way to get a numbers advantage in a situation like that, and our O-Line is too banged up to effectively punch holes in that kind of defense. Cody HAS to step up, and the coaches HAVE to put together a game plan that will allow him to be successful.

:scared2:

Man I wish Scott was 100%. I'd love to see the Buffs come out in a wildcat formation with Scott, Speedy and Sumler if only for the first series to give the kitties something to think about. Speedy taking the snap with scott in the slot to motion into the back field and Sumler next to Speedy in the shotgun.:smile2:

Okay dream sequence over. In reality I think we'll be able to run on the Kitties and I also think a huddle along with milking the clock will help the O. This spread no huddle **** aint working right now. Back to basics:thumbsup:

One thing I would like to see, and at this point I think only Ballenger can be effective doing it, is the read option. I don't even know if it's in our play book right now.

We need more quick hit plays of play action to the tight end, slants to WR's. I agree that defenses are putting 8-9 in the box b/c they have no fear of Cody going deep on them and thus only need to stop Speedy. So, make it look like we are going to commit to the run (by running early and often) and then step back for a seam pass to the tight end. Obviously, this is all predicated on getting positive yardage on a 1st down run. If we can't even do that we are f-ed.

Showing some new formations may help loosen things up. What happended to the speed hand off?

If our TE's could effectively seal the corner, we could run a toss sweep to get Speedy in some space. The problem with this is that we haven't been able to block the play effectively all year long. The DE almost always bull rushes up field and blows the play up.

If our TE's could effectively seal the corner, we could run a toss sweep to get Speedy in some space. The problem with this is that we haven't been able to block the play effectively all year long. The DE almost always bull rushes up field and blows the play up.

Have the TE chip the DE as he bull rushes in then dink a pass over the DE to the TE. Also, would like to see more 2 back sets and some hand offs to the FB. Just to soften the middle and keep LB's honest. This would also open up the TE for quick hitters off the play action.

Just my arm chair musings.

I think coach Hawk will have a few more plays up his sleeve this week...I think he did a pretty good job of mixing it up a little with some trick plays against Texas and with the designed QB draw from Cody last week....again, I don't know how much I can blame the coaching/playcalling when they are prety handcuffed because of the OL & QB situation.

BUT I think it will be imperative to try and air it out some more similar to the 2nd scoring drive against Kansas...granted Cody underthrew the ball twice to 2 wide open receivers but they were open and we have to trust/hope that he will hit them next time...I also like what has been said above with the TE's, and I believe we need to get them involved more. It seems like we only use them for goalline situations and they are wide open every time when we do.

I'd also like to see us try and pass the ball to Speedy or DScott in the flat and/or on routes accross the field to get them beyond the DL and into some open space to make some plays.

Agree with post above. Getting swing/screen passes to either Scott or Speedy (especially Speedy) is crucial. They have the talent to make plays if given space to accelerate and cut. Like to see more of that. We did that against CSU and but for a batted ball, Speedy would have gone to the house on one of those screens. :smile2:

So I admit that I didn't get to watch much of the KU game but UT and FSU were clearly able to stop the run without stacking the line. So, I'm not sure this is the obvious game plan.

One layman's observation... It seems that every game opens up with a shot down the field that doesn't work. The one that stands out most is the long pass down the middle against UT that was knocked away. After that, the passing game seems to sputter the rest of the game. Does it make any sense to start off with passes that are higher percentage and try to build up confidence? Quick pass to the receiver behind the line of scrimmage, etc.

Back