What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching staff is complete

Nope just a observation. Nearly every thread is full of bitching about the staff. It doesn't offend me but its old going into every thread and it being full of bitching and only bitching.

Last edited:
Picking coaches is an inexact science to an extent, but when you look at a resume of a longtime assistant coach like Brown (55 years old and 30 years of experience at various levels), what does his resume tell you? It seems reasonable to conclude he has a lot of respect in the industry as a secondary coach. Not so coincidentally, that is the position he now holds at Alabama. There is little relevance of him being hired at Alabama and his last two years at CU. It was a questionable hire on many levels that proved to be a complete disaster. Put another way: would you rather have Kent Baer or Greg Brown as the DC? Nothing is ever guaranteed, but any halfway reasonable college football fan would say Baer in a second.

So then moving to Neinas and taking the comments from Football Scoop into account, there are several questions raised.

He has five years experience as a special teams coach, but simply having experience does not mean you are well qualified. Let's take a closer look at those five years and actually examine what happened on the field:

YearNet PuntingPunt ReturnsKickoff ReturnsPunt Return Yardage DefenseKickoff Return Yardage Defense

Easy to see why he was demoted after that 2010 season. Overall, he has five years experience and it is a pretty uneven record. Lots of coaches have good reputations, but that does not mean coaches are lining up at Neinas' front door to hire him to coach their special teams. So now we have to hope his previous stints coaching special teams at two non-BCS schools will not repeat itself against better competition in the PAC-12. Do you see where people might not be jumping for joy at that thought?

I hope the recruiting info is correct, but you seem to want it both ways. You spent the weeks leading up to signing day defending the new staff's recruiting because they had been at San Jose State and thus could not be expected to go head-to-head with fellow BCS schools and you harped on the point that recruiting is now a 2-3 year process for many players. So maybe you can explain to me how Neinas solves that dilemma, given his recent coaching stops?

It is more than reasonable to question the hire.

Rarely will you find an amazing ST play on disastrous teams like 09'-10 New Mexico and 06'-08' SDSU. Safe to say there were talent issues on these teams. While this doesn't mean it's a great hire, you can't expect New Mexicos ST to be all conference with a 5-20 record. Had he coached Ohio State ST and these were the numbers, then ok fair point.

Sounds like he was cutting his teeth at lower level jobs to make a name for himself. That can bite you in the ass if the company/team ends up sucking big time. But like I said, it's a questionable hire, but we don't know what his last two years looked like.

Rarely will you find an amazing ST play on disastrous teams like 09'-10 New Mexico and 06'-08' SDSU. Safe to say there were talent issues on these teams. While this doesn't mean it's a great hire, you can't expect New Mexicos ST to be all conference with a 5-20 record. Had he coached Ohio State ST and these were the numbers, then ok fair point.

Sounds like he was cutting his teeth at lower level jobs to make a name for himself. That can bite you in the ass if the company/team ends up sucking big time. But like I said, it's a questionable hire, but we don't know what his last two years looked like.

Luckily there are no talent issues on this Buffs team.:wink2:

Luckily there are no talent issues on this Buffs team.:wink2:

He was intrigued by our extraordinarily high punt attempts stat! This is a ST coaches dream job. Welcome to Punter U.

The question I've been wondering is, why didn't we hire a RB coach instead? Much harder to get a known commodity to move to Boulder for a ST gig. An RB coach would have opened the search up more. Plus, it's an area of need. We could have had Adams coach TE/ST.

I laid out my reasons for why I think Neinas is a really bad hire. I think he is the worst hire on the new staff. Sorry if that offends you.

A big challenge with evaluating ST's is top downculture in a program, if you are in a program that puts its best athletes on ST's then you naturally look like a better coach, but if the head man tells you to run Ebner out there you are pretty well F'd.

So you are adding to the bitching... by bitching about the bitching? Good call.

I laid out my reasons for why I think Neinas is a really bad hire. I think he is the worst hire on the new staff. Sorry if that offends you.
And I laid out why I thought this wasn't an area where HCMM could rely on his own "system" to overcome a potentially weak hire. On paper, this does look like the poorest hire of the AC pool - someone with limited and seemingly poor experience to coach an area where the staff history is average at best and wildly inconsistent at worst.

But I repeat myself: average will be an improvement for us. Average gets us to, or really damn close to a bowl game. I'm not going to be bitching too much about this staff until I see them coach a game, and probably even a season.

If I were to take a consensus of the people complaining about the assistant coach hires, I think the issue most have is that it looks like they all have a pretty low ceiling. I think most of the people bitching will say that this looks like an average FBS staff (note, not average BCS) and that they are likely to turn in an average FBS performance. Which, will be an improvement over where we are now. But it's not where we want to be longer term, and that is ultimately the issue: it appears the bar is being set too low.

And I laid out why I thought this wasn't an area where HCMM could rely on his own "system" to overcome a potentially weak hire. On paper, this does look like the poorest hire of the AC pool - someone with limited and seemingly poor experience to coach an area where the staff history is average at best and wildly inconsistent at worst.

But I repeat myself: average will be an improvement for us. Average gets us to, or really damn close to a bowl game. I'm not going to be bitching too much about this staff until I see them coach a game, and probably even a season.

If I were to take a consensus of the people complaining about the assistant coach hires, I think the issue most have is that it looks like they all have a pretty low ceiling. I think most of the people bitching will say that this looks like an average FBS staff (note, not average BCS) and that they are likely to turn in an average FBS performance. Which, will be an improvement over where we are now. But it's not where we want to be longer term, and that is ultimately the issue: it appears the bar is being set too low.
Based on what exactly?

Well said, skibum. It fits the pattern of CU football in recent history: initially talk a big game, gradually scale back expectations, settle for the middle, and hope for the best.

Well said, skibum. It fits the pattern of CU football in recent history: initially talk a big game, gradually scale back expectations, settle for the middle, and hope for the best.

I agreed until this, what is this middle you talk about? :sigh:

For the assumed money for asst coaches, seems like a weak staff.Most keep reminding us that cu wasn't going to attract big time asst coaches.So, we got what we got, hopefully the " continuity" crowd are correct. Tini complaining about others bitching is a riot.

very suspect on paper...

but, the last staff looked great on paper (except for the lack of hc and coordinator experience, of course)..

and the staff before that looked even greater on paper (except for the lack of bcs experience, of course)...

and the staff before that looked even greater on paper (except for the lack of national championship level assistants, of course)...

and so forth.

i figure our next staff will be lead by a high school eight man football head coach from out on the eastern plains and his assistants will be former volunteer coaches who are glad to get paying gigs. the next head guy will probably start at like 3.5mm per year.

For what it's worth, Ringo in his chat said there was a lot of interest from outsiders for jobs on this staff. MM went with the coaches he felt most comfortable with. If that gives anyone peace of mind.

Sure, that give me piece fo mind. The way I see it is you hire the HC and let him do his thing....then live or die by it. I know some int hsi thread get tired of the "continuity" thing, but a HC has a better chance to be successful if he his asst work well together and know what he expects. Sure, maybe the money CU was willing to pay allowed for "BCS" assisstants, but perhaps if MM had his sites set on a few maybe they were not comfortable leaving thier current position to step down to CU for a 1 year contract. My hope is that since MM knows what he is doing and SJSU indicates a strong possibility that he might. Excited to see how it plays out, but am tired of reading all these know it all posts.....winnning is the only cure and if MM thinks he can win with these guys then lets see what happens....even a perceived (by fans) lame duck asst coudl flourish under the right HC.

Back