What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

I confess I share Slider's concern and expressed it in the forum last night after Mac indicated he would keep a lot of his staff.

After reading all the comments here, I have come to the following conclusion:
-If this is the staff he wants to bring, than he succeeds or fails based on his ability to evaluate the talent of his staff
-I will support his decisions for 1 year. If one or more fails to perform he needs to fire them
-Relatedly I hope that he is letting them all know, yes I feel loyalty to you but this is a Win or get out big league we are in now. We will all be held accountable and although we have worked together for a while, if your unit does not perform, I will have to look elsewhere (obviously starts w/ I have faith in you, etc.)

I would still love some hires with BCS experience. I think part of it too for some of us, is Mac is of course not the splashiest hire and we had hoped that maybe Mac would make a splash with a hot up and comer type or a real established Coordinator from the BCS.

Maybe he still will?

Ron Collins (DC/OLB), Jeff Pitman (S&C), Romeo Bandison (DL), Kent Riddle (TE/ST), Chris Strausser (OL). Strausser lasted one year before being replaced by Jeff Grimes, who by the way was let go by Malzahn at Auburn so I wonder if he's even remotely on our radar to return if the money was right.
Lol "the riddler" hows he doing at north texas?

Nothing wrong with him bringing his best guys with him. They understand his expectations, practice habits and culture. This **** will get turned around a lot quicker if he has continuity on his staff.

I really wanted to see Stitt as the OC (and still think he has the better football brain), but I'm fine with Lindgren if that is who NewMac is comfortable with. At the end of the day, coaching is way more than X's and O's (otherwise Charlie Weis wouldn't have been 1-10 this year).

I'm with Slider - concerned about how many folks he is bringing with him, and also concerned that it doesn't look like he is going to shake up the recruiting class.

He qualified his comments by saying, "if they're committed to CU."

The only tape of CU he has seen is the CSU game and it's not like he's watched the recruits tapes. It wouldn't be a smart approach to announce you're going to evaluate everyone and see if they're good enough, since that could result in a worthwhile recruit becoming nervous and another school stealing him.

In one thread you guys praise the connections his staff has built with HS coaches throughout Cali, then you question his desire to bring his coaches here and allow those very connections to benefit our program. This would be one of those "maybe I should focus on my own **** and let the guy do his job ' moments.

I'm with Slider - concerned about how many folks he is bringing with him, and also concerned that it doesn't look like he is going to shake up the recruiting class.

YAAAAAAWN! What did you want for the 2013 class from a guy who hadn't even seen Boulder until yesterday afternoon? "Hey ! Recruits, "F" you, if you aren't holding 3 stars, at least" ???

And as for staff, last staff had the longest tenure in the NFL of any college staff, how'd that work out ?

So you and slider take fist-sized chill pills and watch quietly from your stool in the corner.

In one thread you guys praise the connections his staff has built with HS coaches throughout Cali, then you question his desire to bring his coaches here and allow those very connections to benefit our program. This would be one of those "maybe I should focus on my own **** and let the guy do his job ' moments.
valid point. which is why I'm willing to not worry about 5 or so guys as long as he fills out his staff with solid BCS dudes.

ITT we learn that the SJSU staff has solid connections to the state of California..... I guess the rest of the Pac-12 doesn't?

Groupthink in full effect again...
dude, come on. what do you think he should do? You keep standing on the sidelines taking potshots, but never enter the fray with a stance. How many staff members should he bring from SJSU? Which ones? What is the optimal makeup of the staff?

Edit: To be clear, it's a lot easier to criticize when you don't take a stance on what should be done. I also want to hear a valid and reasonable argument for what needs to or should be done.

Last edited:
The way I read the recruit thing is he is going to talk to them and be honest with them. "You may not fit into the system that we are going to run" type stuff, and if they still want to come, then they can come. I am sure he can phrase it in a way that will make most of the kids he doesnt want reconsider.

The issue that we have is that most of our commits don't have a fallback BCS option, so they may stay on even after coach tells them they may never play here. :huh:

Coach Mac is going to succeed or fail, in large part, on the performance of his staff. I say we let him pick who he wants. Our job is to give him the resources he needs, to get the coaches that he wants. Period.

ITT we learn that the SJSU staff has solid connections to the state of California..... I guess the rest of the Pac-12 doesn't?

Like Mac said in his presser: there are 7 D1 schools in California and 1048 high schools. Yes, the rest of the PAC12 tries to recruit Cali, along with the MWC and the WAC. That's why it's so important to be better at recruiting there than those other schools. Rule #1 in recruiting: win. We'll have to wait on that one. Rule #2: relationships. We have to capitalize on that to the fullest extent possible, at least until we can do better at #1. Rule #3: intangibles. We have a good built-in advantage there with Boulder being so freaking awesome, but that only takes you so far. We need to improve facilities and get in bed with Nike for shwag and stuff the kids want. From what we're hearing, our administration finally gets that and is working on both of those things. Also like Mac said in his presser: it's a whole package kind of thing. You can't just hire a good coaching staff. You have to have commitment from everybody associated with the program and the athletic department as a whole. That includes alumni and boosters. I don't know about the rest of you, but the Alumni Association has been blowing me up lately asking for money. I hope we're all strongly considering donating. If not, then "shoulder to shoulder" are just words in a song.

Last edited:
so Ron Gould, RB coach from Cal is available after Dykes cleaned house. I think he's worthy of a long hard look by Coach Mike Mac. Ashley Ambrose is also available fyi

HCMM seems to like his staff, all of which he hired from situations that Hawk or Embo could easily have dipped into. It's more about chemistry, how they complement each other and the HC, and how they can recruit. But most importantly, can they repeat what they've done at SJSU?

None of these guys will make big time recruits jump on board. But we all thought that EB would do that, and it just didn't do much.

Mac will tell people that this is his staff, that he built it, that they've done it before, so come on board.

In the end, the next 3 years are about building something, not about making a splash that will dampen out by midseason of 2013.

He will have some holes in his staff to fill, and he's got the budget. Will be interesting to see how he spends it for sure.

If we're paying top Pac-12 $$ for a coaching staff, we better get a Top Pac-12 staff. I'm definitely not a fan of bringing in 5 or 6 of SJSU's coaches. And before anyone brings up that "they obviously worked fine at SJSU".... 10 wins in the WAC translates to maybe 6 wins in the Pac-12. We need higher standards than that, especially for top money

I completely agree. I'm surprised more of you didn't get on me yesterday in chat for expressing this view repeatedly.

HCMM seems to like his staff, all of which he hired from situations that Hawk or Embo could easily have dipped into. It's more about chemistry, how they complement each other and the HC, and how they can recruit. But most importantly, can they repeat what they've done at SJSU?

None of these guys will make big time recruits jump on board. But we all thought that EB would do that, and it just didn't do much.

Mac will tell people that this is his staff, that he built it, that they've done it before, so come on board.

In the end, the next 3 years are about building something, not about making a splash that will dampen out by midseason of 2013.

He will have some holes in his staff to fill, and he's got the budget. Will be interesting to see how he spends it for sure.

I guarantee you that Jim Jeffcoat has 4 and 5 star guys looking at CU by year 2.

For the record I like Jeffcoat. But the DB coach Clark better be an elite recruiter if we're bringing him in, especially with his inexperience as a coach

Mac should not start fresh with coordinators he's not familiar with at a new job unless they're proven and he's worked with them in the past.

For the record I like Jeffcoat. But the DB coach Clark better be an elite recruiter if we're bringing him in, especially with his inexperience as a coach
that is a strange one to me as well. didn't he win an award at some point though? However, you do need some young guys on staff.

dude, come on. what do you think he should do? You keep standing on the sidelines taking potshots, but never enter the fray with a stance. How many staff members should he bring from SJSU? Which ones? What is the optimal makeup of the staff?

Edit: To be clear, it's a lot easier to criticize when you don't take a stance on what should be done. I also want to hear a valid and reasonable argument for what needs to or should be done.

I want CU to actually step up to plate and be serious about winning in the PAC-12. That means a mix of some of his SJSU staff and scouring the nation to fill the remaining slots. That means cleaning house of everyone who was part of the 4-21 debacle. Everyone.

I would like to see him take a look at some of the following people:

Chris Klenakis: Longtime assistant under Ault at Nevada. Knows the offense that MacIntyre apparently wants to run and is a very good recruiter in Phoenix/Houston.

Paul Wulff: Still relatively young and knows the conference. Would help recruiting in the LA area.

Ron Gould: Considered one of the best recruiters on Tedford's staff at Cal and has a pretty good history with RBs that produce.

Jamie Christian: Good recruiter in the Bay area under Erickson at ASU and actually had some pretty decent special teams success there as well.

Brent Brennan: Knows the recruiting landscape in California as well as anyone as he has been a recruiting coordinator at Cal Poly and San Jose State before he started his current gig at Oregon State.

David Beaty: A longshot, but has a good rep in Dallas and has a track record doing it at non-traditional powers (Kansas and Rice).

Reggie Heyward: Very young, but building a rep as a good secondary coach and knows the LA area well.

Scottie Hazelton: From Colorado and has built up a nice background as the defensive coordinator at North Dakota State before coaching USC's LBs this season.

I'm ok with him bringing 4 at most (not counting the S&C coach). If he brings more than that, I'm not liking it.

I also don't like that he's going to honor all of our commits.. I guess that's the price we pay for him being a really nice guy. Some of them don't even have options so it's not like they're just all super dedicated to CU. I'd rather he evaluate them all and go from there.

There is no reason to not honor your committments. These kids got offered a spot and stopped looking and visiting other places. They have not decommitted despite the drawn out search and firing the coach you recruited them.... IMO they have earned their spots on the team. Also this late in the game are you really planning on starting from scratch with new kids? Are you really thinking that you are gonna get much better talent than we have now? All the 4 and 5 star talent has narrowed options to a handful of schools.... CU is not gonna swoop in now and steal them.

And for god sake let the man bring his own coaches he wants.... saying you can only bring so many from JSJU is stupid. He hired them because he works well with them and trusts them so I say bring whoever you want and lets see if the results follow.

Gould sounds like a no-brainer. Looking for work and familiar with the footprint, plus I haven't heard anything about Mac bringing his RB coach.

There is no reason to not honor your committments. These kids got offered a spot and stopped looking and visiting other places. They have not decommitted despite the drawn out search and firing the coach you recruited them.... IMO they have earned their spots on the team. Also this late in the game are you really planning on starting from scratch with new kids? Are you really thinking that you are gonna get much better talent than we have now? All the 4 and 5 star talent has narrowed options to a handful of schools.... CU is not gonna swoop in now and steal them.

And for god sake let the man bring his own coaches he wants.... saying you can only bring so many from JSJU is stupid. He hired them because he works well with them and trusts them so I say bring whoever you want and lets see if the results follow.

It is not about going out and landing 4* and 5* players. It is about getting the players in here needed to get us back on track. I suspect MacIntyre will have some tough decisions to make with the OL commits. Frankly, he needs to make some tough decisions there.

Back