What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Especially with Loud and Parsons out. That could change if one of the in-state lineman flipped(Fox or Skipper) and the aforementioned were back on board.

I like our chances with Parsons. Don't think we have a chance with Fox. Not sure about Skipper or Loud. If Jeffcoat joins the staff and Kanavis is retained we might have a shot with Loud.

I don't see why anyone on the current coaching staff should be retained. They were all part of arguably the worst season in CU FB history. I thought many here were in favor of cleaning house completely?

I like our chances with Parsons. Don't think we have a chance with Fox. Not sure about Skipper or Loud. If Jeffcoat joins the staff and Kanavis is retained we might have a shot with Loud.
you are the only one

Something that I heard recently regarding Embree's philosophy with his assistants... Embree tried to follow BillMac's philosophy of letting his coaches scream and argue with each other, then presiding over the discord by saying "This is what we're going to do," and everyone was on board. BillMac was able to do that because of his ability to carry a room. I just don't think that Embree had the kind of leadership capital, or relationship with his staff (or respect from his staff) to be able to bring everyone together. Losses mounted, pressure increased, tribes formed, coaches stopped coaching, and 1-11 happened.

Slider, I'd argue your point entirely. Yes, bring in the entire SJSU staff, if possible. Or upgrade any position desired. But those small program coaching staffs have so many fundamental battles to overcome - they never get top-drawer players. They always accept dregs and leftovers. They must coach up everyone. They have to evaluate skills and talent quickly. And then they are constantly on the verge of redesigning whatever system fits THAT talent they can get.

They NEVER 'cherry pick' their talent - they mostly take whoever wants them, and then they have to coach 'em up and fit their systems for that talent.

This is quite nearly an 'ultimate' in coaching requirements, therefore. And YOU want to break that up?!! NO WAY. This is PRECISELY what CU Football and THIS squad of players needs. They need accurate talent evaluations. They need to have their skill-sets coached up. They NEED to have a system installed that gets the most out of what they have and CAN DEVELOP.

And you want to gut all of that and go for ?? WHO ?? MikeMac's got a staff that he knows can do THAT job. And you say no?!!

You're still trying to tear down CU Football, I guess. That's why you loved and supported Hawk so much.

Slider, I'd argue your point entirely. Yes, bring in the entire SJSU staff, if possible. Or upgrade any position desired. But those small program coaching staffs have so many fundamental battles to overcome - they never get top-drawer players. They always accept dregs and leftovers. They must coach up everyone. They have to evaluate skills and talent quickly. And then they are constantly on the verge of redesigning whatever system fits THAT talent they can get.

They NEVER 'cherry pick' their talent - they mostly take whoever wants them, and then they have to coach 'em up and fit their systems for that talent.

This is quite nearly an 'ultimate' in coaching requirements, therefore. And YOU want to break that up?!! NO WAY. This is PRECISELY what CU Football and THIS squad of players needs. They need accurate talent evaluations. They need to have their skill-sets coached up. They NEED to have a system installed that gets the most out of what they have and CAN DEVELOP.

And you want to gut all of that and go for ?? WHO ?? MikeMac's got a staff that he knows can do THAT job. And you say no?!!

Still trying to tear down CU Football, I guess.

You have a point. I remember everyone wanting to change Hawk's staff too. Nobody was too concerned when his OC stayed behind.

You're still trying to tear down CU Football, I guess. That's why you loved and supported Hawk so much.

:lol:

You know that Brian Kelly brought his entire Cincinnati staff to Notre Dame at first, failed initially, changed his coordinators to BCS-level people, then started winning, right? Hawkins brought way too much of Boise with him. We need a BCS staff, we can pay for it.

Title gets you nothing you elitest snob!

I'm ok with him bringing 4 at most (not counting the S&C coach). If he brings more than that, I'm not liking it.

We have to trust that the guy knows what makes a good football coach. I can assure you that just because a guy "Coached in the PAC-10" doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better coach than the guy who coaches in the RMAC or the WAC or whereever. There are a lot of guys out there that can coach football. I certainly think he knows a thing or two about how to find those guys and if they are the guys that were on his staff last year, so be it. That staff is probably better than 5 of the Pac 12 staffs right now. (Certainly better than the one at CU last year)

Roger that!!!

These SJSU staffers have built great recruiting relationships.

I would think those would parlay into an ability to attract players who liked them but were looking to play on a bigger stage than San Jose State could offer.

I'm not sure I buy this objection. Honestly, it doesn't make any sense to me.

As a real world example, it's not like Adrian Klemm was only able to recruit C-USA level players when he went to UCLA from SMU.

You know that Brian Kelly brought his entire Cincinnati staff to Notre Dame at first, failed initially, changed his coordinators to BCS-level people, then started winning, right? Hawkins brought way too much of Boise with him. We need a BCS staff, we can pay for it.

And I'm sure there's plenty of cases where staffs that brought their staff with them and succeeded. First hand knowledge is often better than the "grass is always greener".

BTW, a lot of the top coordinators were nobody just 2-3 years ago. And some of the hottest assistants from that time frame are now nobody.

And the hottest offensive minds were in High School not that long ago.

I'm ok with him bringing 4 at most (not counting the S&C coach). If he brings more than that, I'm not liking it.

We have to trust that the guy knows what makes a good football coach. I can assure you that just because a guy "Coached in the PAC-10" doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better coach than the guy who coaches in the RMAC or the WAC or whereever. There are a lot of guys out there that can coach football. I certainly think he knows a thing or two about how to find those guys and if they are the guys that were on his staff last year, so be it. That staff is probably better than 5 of the Pac 12 staffs right now. (Certainly better than the one at CU last year)

CU needs to do better than having the 7th-best coaches in the league considering that we are far behind in the talent and national perception categories. Not making a judgement call of my own in that respect, just responding to your claim.

I would agree with your premise that we need to have the best staff possible at CU, I'm simply saying that just because those guys were at SJSU last year doesn't mean that they won't be great coaches in the Pac-12.

I trust Mac's judgement when it comes to building a staff. He has hired and fired before and created winning programs.
Doesn't matter how many he brings from SJSU. He is the one who will work with them day-to-day, not us.
But, that makes for a lousy thread so carry on with the micromanaging from the stands.
Or, how about this? Why don't you all pick colors for the new bathrooms on the expansion? Its a better use of time.

These SJSU staffers have built great recruiting relationships.

I would think those would parlay into an ability to attract players who liked them but were looking to play on a bigger stage than San Jose State could offer.

I'm not sure I buy this objection. Honestly, it doesn't make any sense to me.

As a real world example, it's not like Adrian Klemm was only able to recruit C-USA level players when he went to UCLA from SMU.

I do recall SMU getting visits from CA guys they had no business getting when he was there tho. Gabe Marks was one

I like some of the names Duff mentioned, but I'll add a couple.

Cameron Norcross

Tim McDonald

We chose MacIntyre over DeRuyter, so lets steal some of DeRuyter's staff!

Norcross is from Nevada and is familiar with the pistol.

McDonald only has 1 year of coaching experience, but give this a look..

Tim McDonald - Fresno State
In his first season on staff with Tim DeRuyter at Fresno State, Tim McDonald helped engineer one of the most impressive defensive turnarounds in major college football. Last season, the Fresno State defense ranked 106th in pass defense. This season they improved that ranking by over 100 spots and finished fifth nationally in pass defense. Other areas involving the secondary were much improved from 2011 as well. The secondary ranked third nationally in interceptions with 20 (which was 15 more than they had last season), and six of those interceptions were taken back for touchdowns. That means that an impressive 30 percent of their interceptions resulted in touchdowns. McDonald’s defensive unit also ranked in the top seven in opponents completion percentage with just 52 percent of their opponents passes resulting in a complete pass. Perhaps most impressive was the consistency at which the secondary played, regardless of the level of competition. The back end of the Bulldogs' defense still ranked in the top ten in yards per attempt against ranked teams, as well as the FBS teams on their schedule that finished with winning records. McDonald helped mold a unit that was not only lights out, but also played with a consistency and fearlessness that was tough for offenses to overcome.
Key stats
8th in opponent QB rating (100.02)5th in turnover margin (1.42)
Thomas ranks 1st with 8 INTs5th in opponent yards per attempt (5.56)

http://www.footballscoop.com/coaching-awards/2012-coaches-of-the-year/defensive-backs

I know we're probably going to go with Charles Clark from SJSU, but if we don't, McDonald might be a good pick.

Also, the first staff of Mac's at SJSU included the current QB coach of the Raiders, Bryant Young (yes that guy), and Brent Brannen. Suffice to say, he seems to have a knack for finding solid coaches.

And for good measure, this guy might be worth a look for LB coach. Bob Gregory

Wilner, writer for San Jose Mercury News, thinks if Dan Baer is brought over as our DC...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...yre-colorado-and-whats-next-for-the-spartans/

San JoseState defensive coordinator Kent Baer: Well-respected veteran is finishing his fifth season on SJSU staff (originally hired by Tomey). Worked at Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington under Tyrone Willingham. Best bet to be named interim head coach for Military Bowl. If Baer doesn’t get the job, he might follow MacIntyre to Boulder. (If that’s the case, the Spartans’ standout third-year defensive players could follow. Sit out one year, then play for CU as fifth-year seniors.)

I thought the Embree staff looked terrible on paper. Of course, I view HC, OC and DC as 90% of the success ratio, and the position coaches as 10%. Position coaches were a B+, HC and coordinators were a D-. Weighted average was a D+ and that's what we saw on the field.

We saw a D+ on the field? I don't think so. D- tops, and that would be extremely generous.

Sounds like Dykes is cleanding house at Cal, including Ron Gould.

I would like to see him get some consideration as RB coach. Has been at Cal forever, and apparently his wife is employed in the Cal athletic department, but he has a good rep as a recruiter and coach.

Back