1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cody Hawkins to OSU as Grad Assistant

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffTuba, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

2. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Has been discussed in other threads too but probably worth its own thread on AB. I have no ill will towards Cody-his dad-another story. Cody was a trooper through all of that. I am sure he wishes he had gone anywhere but CU. Smart kid.

What's the over/under on Cody having more wins as a college HC as his dad had?

3. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Congrats to Cody! It's a great place to start and I think he'll be an offensive coordinator pretty quickly. Kid understands the game. Great Buff.

4. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Never say never, but I can't see him running behind Ralphie. Does anyone really think he wants to relive that?

Honestly, he got a bad rap but his father even said that he would be held to a higher standard.

I do hope at some point, we can welcome him back with open arms. Red Sox did with Buckner after all.

5. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I'd bet on Big Hawk at this point, for all the hate -- Big Hawk's career as a whole is quite impressive, just didn't work well at CU.

6. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Or Montreal.

7. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Ha, that was just a bad marriage from the start, I don't think his firing was so much related to wins/losses. Given his CU experience as well as his father's, he'll probably be able to handle the naysayers better than your typical GA.

8. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

Being a GA is a thankless job with exceptionally long hours. I hope he has his running shoes on cuz after he is done breaking down film he will be expected to run for coffee, big macs, donuts, dry cleaning etc.

9. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Saw Cody at CU this season (AZ game I think). He was gracious as always. Took time to talk with my son and daughter also. He was working in florida at the time for Nike (IIRC). He had said he was looking for a means to get back to the game.... congrats to him. A quality individual with thick skin. For all you Cody haters, he ended our short conversation with "Go Buffs"

10. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

The CU experience will definitely make him stronger because of what he had to deal with. He didn't live up to expectations and it didn't help having his name when his dad wasn't succeeding. His dad even said if he had to do it all over again, he would've never recruited him. You can't undo this kind of thing but he can certainly make the best of the situation. Hoping things work out for him. I know his dad isn't coaching now, but he (Big Hawk) did say at the time, that he would be going elsewhere to coach.

11. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

I wonder what Cody's collegiate playing career would have been playing for a different team without all of ten issues inherent with being the coach's son. I even wonder what it would have been like playing for CU under a different staff.

Anyway, I think he has all the qualities to have a future in coaching football.

12. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Seems like the kind of kid that would embrace all facets of the job. Not sure if he ever makes it to head coach, but I'll bet he ends up a pretty good position coach.

13. Plansit

Plansit Member

Excited for him. Coming out of high school, I had high expectations and after watching the ESPN reality show he was on, thought he was the real deal. I think coaching really highlights his abilities. Would expect hit to go fast and far in the business.

Side note: When I was at OU for grad school, my now wife mailed Cody a #7 CU jersey to sign. He received the package, signed the jersey and mailed it back to me for my bday. Thought it was a cool gesture and showed what kind of kid he was. Will always have respect in how he handled an impossible situation (Dad's firing). Good luck Cody!

14. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

While the situarion was less than ideal, Cody always handled it with nothing but the utmost class.

15. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Best of luck to Cody in his coaching gig. I now have another reason to cheer for tOSU over Nebraska.

Having Buffs in the coaching profession reflects on the type of program Colorado is.

Do a good job, at your new gig, Cody.

When does McKnight come visit you in Columbus?

16. pcbuff

pcbuff Club Member Club Member

I wish him well

He showed complete class in his time here and I am sure we will see him as a head coach in about a decade if that is what he wants.

17. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Given the situation, he couldn't have handled it any better. I remember some thinking he'd quit the team in protest. He even made it to a point to say when he signed with CU, nowhere on there did it say he was signing with Dan Hawkins. I wish other kids would realize that when they signed at schools. The school will always be there, good chance the coach who recruited won't be in four years.