What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody Hawkins

in that case watch opposing teams defenses put 7-8 in the box and see if cody can beat them with his arm and/or legs.....

I think teams will play the Buffs pretty straight up until they prove that the running game is legit. Once that happens (and I believe it will) then expect teams to stack the box.

I think teams will play the Buffs pretty straight up until they prove that the running game is legit. Once that happens (and I believe it will) then expect teams to stack the box.

Agreed! If anyone here was at the spring game, on offense you saw a better executing team minus Polk & Scott. However, if Polk & Scott were to both perform equally well during the non conferance schedule, then Cody may just have his way with opposing defenses.:cool:

Bingo! I expect to see that transition somewhere between the Kansas and Mizzou games. I think that we will be a running team the last quarter of the season.

I think I agree with those who suggest the modest improvements for CH, and coupled with what should be a potent running game as the season progresses, the Buffs should make some strides on O.

I don't think this is the key for the season, though. The Buffs gave up 29 pts a game last year according to the ad's stats, while scoring 27 themselves. I can see a bump up from that 27, but I fear the opposition will score more than last year. Our unproven secondary could make Cody's probable improvement a moot point.

I think I agree with those who suggest the modest improvements for CH, and coupled with what should be a potent running game as the season progresses, the Buffs should make some strides on O.

I don't think this is the key for the season, though. The Buffs gave up 29 pts a game last year according to the ad's stats, while scoring 27 themselves. I can see a bump up from that 27, but I fear the opposition will score more than last year. Our unproven secondary could make Cody's probable improvement a moot point.

The best defense can be a good offense. The offense has got to do a better job of keeping our defense off the field.

The best defense can be a good offense. The offense has got to do a better job of keeping our defense off the field.

Uh huh. Good teams do this well. The Buffs need to do a really good job of controlling the ball and keeping the defense fresh. It's not going to be easy since, any way you look at it, we're breaking in 3 new starters on the OL.

"I'm 5-11½ and 193," Hawkins said with a grin. "Just a little more and they can legitimately list me at 6 feet."

Just read that and thought here's to praying he has a late growth spurt and with a couple inches is on the top of that Big 12 QB list....i don't doubt he isn't smart enough or doesn't have the arm for it

The inability for Cody to put the team on his shoulders is the sole reason why colorado should not give up using the WR misdirection handoffs, and the reason why Colorado is moving to a no huddle. It is better for the defense to be the ones on their feet in this case, and having cody keeping them guessing is going to keep that defense honest.

Having said that, if we encounter really tough physical teams, COdy will have to play conservative in the pro set, and utilize the TE's and Backs as recievers as well. That way we don't injure our n00b wide recievers, or cody and we let the big dogs take the punishment.

Cody will still need a blocking fullback.

Having Geer out of suspension should be music to our ears.

The inability for Cody to put the team on his shoulders is the sole reason why colorado should not give up using the WR misdirection handoffs, and the reason why Colorado is moving to a no huddle. It is better for the defense to be the ones on their feet in this case, and having cody keeping them guessing is going to keep that defense honest.

Having said that, if we encounter really tough physical teams, COdy will have to play conservative in the pro set, and utilize the TE's and Backs as recievers as well. That way we don't injure our n00b wide recievers, or cody and we let the big dogs take the punishment.

Cody will still need a blocking fullback.

Having Geer out of suspension should be music to our ears.
No WR misdirection in the scrimmage today. none.

I think Hawk realized we have a few solid guys to run the ball (Scott, Polk, Speedy...) and we dont need our recievers running the ball this year.

I think Hawk realized we have a few solid guys to run the ball (Scott, Polk, Speedy...) and we dont need our recievers running the ball this year.
actually that is it partly. The WR misdirection play was to get the defense to commit to a side of the field and make them pay for it if they guessed wrong. The way we hand off a lot of the time (sideways) to our RB's now fulfills that need without shrinking the field by bringing in a WR.

actually that is it partly. The WR misdirection play was to get the defense to commit to a side of the field and make them pay for it if they guessed wrong. The way we hand off a lot of the time (sideways) to our RB's now fulfills that need without shrinking the field by bringing in a WR.
The problem last year was...we never took advantage of setting up the defense for the misdirection....at least, I do not recall it....all I remember is screaming at the TV with "what the **** are you doing Helfrich?"

I know we have talked a lot about the offensive line and the players at skill positions, but our QB has gotten lost in the shuffle, probably due to the fact that he has a stranglehold on the starting job. With a conference loaded with good to great QBs, Cody is on the lower end of the pecking order. However, if we want to win 7-8 games, I think it will require Cody to outplay some of the highly touted QBs in the conferences. Thoughts on what constitutes a successful season for Cody?

Numbers he put up as a freshman show he isn't a pedestrian QB , I think you sell his ability's way to short

Numbers he put up as a freshman show he isn't a pedestrian QB , I think you sell his ability's way to short

Completely agree, put Cody behind OU's line with their receivers and I think he puts up the same numbers or better than their frosh All American.

Cody is a good qb. He knows the offense and doesn't make a ton of mistakes. I expect he will cleanup the INT's even more this year. That said, he is not the game breaker Koy or Kordell were. It has been a long time since CU had a game breaker at QB. I really liked Moschetti, he was pretty close but Koy and Kordell were the last two great CU qb's...JMO.

I think whether or not Cody can be a game breaking QB is still to be determined. He has only completed his freshman year and has plenty of time to improve. From the reports I'm seeing over the summer and from camp, it appears he knows this and is very serious about being better this year. I think he'll have an improved line in front of him, a more consistent running game and better receivers.

I think we'll all be surprised this year by his play, but I'm swimming in kool-aid these days.

Cody doesn't have the gamebreakers at every offensive position that Koy and Kordell did, either.

True, but do you think Cody will be playing on Sundays? Don't get me wrong, I think he is a tremendous asset to the team and you can't help but like the kid, but he will be like Klatt. A very good college QB. Koy and Kordell benefitted from some great surrounding talent. But they also had the athletic talent to put the team on their back too.

True, but do you think Cody will be playing on Sundays? Don't get me wrong, I think he is a tremendous asset to the team and you can't help but like the kid, but he will be like Klatt. A very good college QB. Koy and Kordell benefitted from some great surrounding talent. But they also had the athletic talent to put the team on their back too.

I don't think being able to make the NFL has anything to do with being a game breaking college QB. There are too many examples of great college QBs who either don't get drafted for whatever reason (usually size) or don't pan out on Sunday.

Go look at the list of heisman trophy winners they last 20 years. How many of those QBs actually did anything in the NFL?

I'm not saying Cody can put the team on his back and win. He's not proven that yet but your analogy is not good.

I don't think being able to make the NFL has anything to do with being a game breaking college QB. There are too many examples of great college QBs who either don't get drafted for whatever reason (usually size) or don't pan out on Sunday.

Go look at the list of heisman trophy winners they last 20 years. How many of those QBs actually did anything in the NFL?

I'm not saying Cody can put the team on his back and win. He's not proven that yet but your analogy is not good.

That's my point, not whether he plays on Sunday. Whether he plays on Sundays is merely an indicator, albeit imperfect one, of whether he is a gamebreaker.

I like the play, but I'm not sure we had the speed last year to run it as effectivly as they could have. I think they should still use it but not as a routine part of their game plan.

I doubt Cody Hawkins will be playing on Sundays. Of course, you could count the number of Sundays Koy Detmer actually played on one hand.

I like the play, but I'm not sure we had the speed last year to run it as effectivly as they could have. I think they should still use it but not as a routine part of their game plan.

While it frustrated a lot of fans someone posted the stats from last year a while back and I seem to remember that it averaged ~6 yards per.

Back