What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody slam on Josh Smith?

You guys amaze me. Please point to where he is slamming Josh Smith in this article. You guys need to develop a little bit thicker skin in my opinion.

To answer the question:
For now, though, this observation from junior Scotty McKnight – made after watching both in this summer’s 7-on-7 passing work – might be enough to pacify most Buffs fans:
"Both guys have really taken in trying to learn everything, unlike other receivers in the past. These guys are really kind of entrenched already, trying to get as much of the offense in as they can before camp.
I saw that as a pretty direct comment on JSmith's attitude and work ethic.
And I really don't think it is a matter of a "thicker skin". I am in no way offended or hurt by JSmith's departure, man doing what he thinks he needs to do. But I do think we owe him the same level of respect he is seemingly showing the program.
Standing out here, not inside the program and only privy to what has been made fully public, it seems like Josh has kept his comments to himself and has avoided badmouthing the program he is leaving. I may not like him leaving but I have to say that his approach to it, from a PR perspective, has been pretty mature. I would like to see our team and players return that in kind.

Standing out here, not inside the program and only privy to what has been made fully public, it seems like Josh has kept his comments to himself and has avoided badmouthing the program he is leaving. I may not like him leaving but I have to say that his approach to it, from a PR perspective, has been pretty mature. I would like to see our team and players return that in kind.

i can agree with that. at this point he really seems to be taking a high road.

he did used to sidearm the ball a bit on his release... glad to see cody getting it up there. (and winning accuracy comps :smile2:)

To answer the question:
For now, though, this observation from junior Scotty McKnight – made after watching both in this summer’s 7-on-7 passing work – might be enough to pacify most Buffs fans:
"Both guys have really taken in trying to learn everything, unlike other receivers in the past. These guys are really kind of entrenched already, trying to get as much of the offense in as they can before camp.
I saw that as a pretty direct comment on JSmith's attitude and work ethic.
And I really don't think it is a matter of a "thicker skin". I am in no way offended or hurt by JSmith's departure, man doing what he thinks he needs to do. But I do think we owe him the same level of respect he is seemingly showing the program.

So is Josh Smith the ONLY receiver who didn't try learn everything during his career at CU. Sorry. I 100% disagree with most everyone's assessment of this. He isn't calling out anyone. He is simply making the point that these guys are busting there butts. And yes, sometimes people try harder than others and set the bar higher, and recognizing them for that does not translate into a slam of anyone, especially when no names are even given.

There is alot of projection going on here. There is nothing wrong with pointing out how these guys are setting a new standard for CU receivers in terms of their work ethic.

So is Josh Smith the ONLY receiver who didn't try learn everything during his career at CU. Sorry. I 100% disagree with most everyone's assessment of this. He isn't calling out anyone. He is simply making the point that these guys are busting there butts. And yes, sometimes people try harder than others and set the bar higher, and recognizing them for that does not translate into a slam of anyone, especially when no names are even given.

There is alot of projection going on here. There is nothing wrong with pointing out how these guys are setting a new standard for CU receivers in terms of their work ethic.
:congrats:

As long as they don't mention Josh by name, he is lumped into a group that includes Blackmon, Celestine (Part I), TE Wallace, and potentially any other receivers who have left the program the past 3 years due to graduation or attrition. I see nothing wrong with these comments. For those who closely follow the program, Josh's issues were an open secret anyway. For those who don't, nothing in these comments by Scotty & Cody would call him out. JMHO.

The two players on our team who seem to enjoy making these kind of remarks in the media need to work on their own games before they take jabs at former teammates.

Last edited:
The two players on our team who seem to enjoy making these kind of remarks in the media need to work on their own games before they take jabs at former teammates.

You're calling out McKnight's game and work ethic?

This might be much-a-do about nothin'.. But I had a class last semester with 9 or 10 football players, and all of them sat together except J-Fly, who blatantly wanted seemed to want to separate himself. Also, he didn't show up for the last 4 or 5 weeks, so it wasn't surprising to me that he decided to transfer, though forgetting, those F's follow him.

IMHO that is possibly the single stupidest comment ever posted on this site.

Not_sure_if_your_serious.ashx

For those who closely follow the program, Josh's issues were an open secret anyway. For those who don't, nothing in these comments by Scotty & Cody would call him out. JMHO.

I'm very close to a former AthDept employee and it was well-known fact JS's heart wasn't in football! I wonder how much of that was attribuable to his bad luck running into the wall in Folsom as a frosh and losing his spleen

Good luck to him, but he flat stopped playing any kind of WR this spring, with time off for a mysterious ankle sprain that eveyone knew was "suspect".

The point of my comment was the objection I take to players that are below average in their conference at their positions taking jabs at other players in the media. That is something that no player should do, IMO, much unspectacular ones.

Last edited:
Suit yourself on McKnight, but that guy worked his ass off and has been a reliable receiver the last two seasons. He has been forced to be a #1 WR when I think many (maybe even including himself) would agree that he is better suited as a #2 or #3. I agree with you on Cody to an extent, but McKnight deserves some leeway in this instance.

You also gotta realize that while Smith was certainly dangerous at times in the return game and could stretch the field in the passing game, he did not exactly have opponents shaking in their cleats either. Wish we still had him, but he was mid-tier guy in the conference.

Put me in the 'let it go' camp at this point.
Unless or until Josh badmouths the program, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for growing up, putting on his big boy pants, and being captain on his own boat.

They guy played through two separated shoulders and showed some guts of steel as a return man. He did what he had to do. Sure his timing sucked. Sure he made some questionable decissions on and off the field. But this is all part of the growing process. He took a licking and kept on ticking, to the thrill of thousands.

Best of luck to him in the next chapter of his life.

Put me in the 'let it go' camp at this point.
Unless or until Josh badmouths the program, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for growing up, putting on his big boy pants, and being captain on his own boat.

They guy played through two separated shoulders and showed some guts of steel as a return man. He did what he had to do. Sure his timing sucked. Sure he made some questionable decissions on and off the field. But this is all part of the growing process. He took a licking and kept on ticking, to the thrill of thousands.

Best of luck to him in the next chapter of his life.

Good post.

The point of my comment was the objection I take to players that are below average in their conference at their positions taking jabs at other players in the media. That is something that no player should do, IMO, much unspectacular ones.

Fair enough, but athletic ability is one thing, work ethic quite another. Like it or not CU doesn't have enough players with both. Instead, the team, and we as fans, get to rely on guys like Hawkins, McKnight, Smart, et al, who by all accounts work their asses off and contribute what they can in spite of what they lack in natural talent in part because some of the more naturally talented don't have the maturity or ethic to be there when needed.

Say what you want about Cody or Scotty but they never quit on their teammates. Josh had his reasons. Also fair enough. But from the standpoint of CU football, the guy let his fellow Buffs down.

Also like it or not, Cody, Scotty, Jeff Smart are the leaders of the team. They've stepped up and assumed that role and I've yet to hear other members of the team complain about that or step up themselves. Until I do, I'll assume if Scotty or Hawkins calls out someone, they are speaking for the team. That's what team leaders do.

Back