What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody's stats last season... not bad

Ok, not sure who you are referring to, but that doesn't change the fact that Cody has averaged more then 1 turnover per game.

Baylor's Griffin had 3 interceptions last year as a true freshman.

Just poking at the Jay Cutler fans.

If CU had a player of Griffin's calibre, and ran the type of offense Griffin ran -- then I think it would be a worthwhile comparison to compare the two.

Cody Hawkins is an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether he is the best QB on the team right now is what the coaches are trying to determine.

Look at OU's schedule and tell me what "2-3" teams you see them losing to in 2009.

Bradford didn't play Heisman-esque in the BCS title game, but he didn't play horrible, either. 26-41 for 256 yards with 2 TD's and 2 INT's isn't horrible. The difference in the game wasn't Bradford - it was OU's inability to get the tough yard when they needed to. Bradford isn't a running QB. He's a pocket QB. OU never had anybody who could take over the rushing game. OU had the ball multiple times inside Florida's 5 yard line and could never do anything with it. Florida had Tim Tebow when they got into those situations.

Bingo. OU had their chances in that game, and couldn't capitalize. It's revisionist history to claim otherwise. OU could have won that game had just a couple things gone their way. They didn't, and that's the way it goes sometimes. To make the claim that OU was completely outclassed ignores the facts.

Just poking at the Jay Cutler fans.

If CU had a player of Griffin's calibre, and ran the type of offense Griffin ran -- then I think it would be a worthwhile comparison to compare the two.

Cody Hawkins is an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether he is the best QB on the team right now is what the coaches are trying to determine.

My point is, why do we continue to defend a QB that has to have great talent around him to be successful? With Cody, we always seem to be one missing piece away from having a great offense. Yet every year we turn the ball over regularly and struggle to put points on the board.

There are teams out there that have found QBs that can overcome the talent around them and win games.

My point is, why do we continue to defend a QB that has to have great talent around him to be successful? With Cody, we always seem to be one missing piece away from having a great offense. Yet every year we turn the ball over regularly and struggle to put points on the board.

There are teams out there that have found QBs that can overcome the talent around them and win games.

So who on CU is that QB?

I am sure if there was a QB on the roster who was better than Cody- he would play.

For whatever reason, CU has been unable to bring in a top notch QB.

I was a vocal proponent of breaking in the future of Buff QB's (either freshmen) in 2008 after the losses on the depth chart and on the field began to mount. I have stated before that I think the upsides of Tyler Hansen far exceed that of Cody. With that said, the talent/depth of our roster is starting to mature and 2009 is a Make/Break year. 2010 and 2011 is when we will be really loaded, but we need to win this year. So it's time to play the QB who gives us the best chance to win in 2009 imo.

It all looks/feels like Hansen will win the job if he can show he has matured into a polished QB able to make the right decisions. Cody obviously comes into camp with a big edge there based on what he has done on the field.

I refer to an article in this morning Longmont Times Call regarding the Cutler situation which is not on-line at this time (by Brian Howell):

"...the list of QBs to lead their teams to a Super Bowl has included Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Tony Eason, Rex Grossman, Jeff Hostetler, Stan Humphries, Brad Johnson, Neil O'Donnell, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams and David Woodley."

I know that the college game and the NFL are a little different games. But still I think that with our new emphasis on a power-running game, we are looking to have the QB manage the game more than be the featured playmaker.

IF we are able to control the line of scrimmage, Cody will be a very adequate QB and should keep us from beating ourselves. If we are looking for super-athleticism and play-making from the position, Cody will struggle.

I will say that Cody's lack of arm strength allows the defense to cheat a bit, not respecting deep routes and the long out ball. However, this limitation is secondary to having a QB who can make the right decisions and manage the offense.

I feel like the position battle will be settled in the next several weeks. Hansen has to show he can stay in the pocket and go thru the progressions AND take care of the ball and manage the offense. In order for his strong arm to be effective, he has to be able to stand in the pocket and not flush so easily as he did in his debut season. If he doesn't show that progress, the staff can't wait until fall to "hope" he matures (that is my guess).

I totally agree about Bradford. If you look at what UF did against him in the NCG, the pressure made him throw bad passes all night. Remember, he was not sacked or even put on his ass all season long. How will he respond if that changes? OU's D should be much improved this year and they will still be in the top 10, but I could easily see them losing 2-3 games if teams can get him rattled.

1st off why that theory may be true.....not. just who does OU play next year that has a defense like Florida's in the Big XII??

knu??

The thing about Bradford and OU, (I expect to see more of a running game next year, not so much that the offensive line cant pass block, as the 4 running backs they have, especially the young rb from Van, TX (Jermaine Calhoun) and from San Antonio (Justin Johnson)) and the fact he has 2 new wide recievers for starters.

OH and anyway after his RS freshman year, a lot of people were critical that it would be very difficult to improve on what he did his 1st year as start QB, but he did and so did the whole team playing together. Heck he has led the nation the past 2 years in passing efficency, won the heisman, won as the starting QB back to back big xII championships, the 1st and only QB to do so, Davey O'brien award and all against some pretty good competition, (well one team comes to mind that wasn't. game over in less than 300 seconds).

So not having as good a year in 2009 as he did in 2007 & 2008 would be safe to say. The odds are in your favor in that statement. Only problem is it wouldn't take much to know this, but then its quite a stretch for you to reason through. :smile2:

Bet on?

Last edited:
I think it is a mistake to assume that we can skate by with a game manager at QB. The Big 12 has too many good QBs for a team to expect to succeed with a guy who cannot make plays when it matters.

Good lawd,

make even the slightest mention of a sooner in any thread and UBT will do his darnedest to highjack the thread.

As Cody or whoever ends up playing QB for the Buffs in 209 we need greatly improved QB play. Somewhere over 65% in completions, at least a 3-1 TD to INT/fumble ratio if we are going to sniff the prescribed goal of 10 wins.

So who on CU is that QB?

I am sure if there was a QB on the roster who was better than Cody- he would play.

For whatever reason, CU has been unable to bring in a top notch QB.

Relax, I'm not saying there is. I'm just saying, the same old "Cody is a good QB" posts get old. My posts were directed at the original poster, not necessarily what you were posting.

ya... he wasn't great... that wasn't what I was arguing. However, there are quite a few teams out there who would take an average QB in a heart beat. And it is not fair to compare him to the Big XII, last year was probably the greatest collection of QB talent/production in one conference that we will see in a long time.

I agree, as that chart shows Robert Griffin only one spot above Cody. And who here would not trade Cody for Robert Griffin in a heartbeat? Yet the team around RG is not that good and RG's stats do not show how good he really is. I think the same with Cody-- I do not feel that Cody was the weak link last year. I still think the injuries (huge amount of injuries) on a line that just the year before did not even have enough to run full 11 on 11's in spring practice makes his stats look worse than they should of.

That being said-- the stronger line, more depth, waaay more depth at RB, so more WR's and TE's all bode well for the Buffs this season. The D will look better too IMO if the O can sustain more drives and help the D not get so worn out by the end of the season.

Relax, I'm not saying there is. I'm just saying, the same old "Cody is a good QB" posts get old. My posts were directed at the original poster, not necessarily what you were posting.
I originally posted because it looked like cody got the majority of the 1st team snaps and did well. he looks to be the forerunner for starting QB, and that for some reason worries people...

Cody CAN be a good QB is what I was saying. A lot of people say we could never win more than 5 or 6 or at most *gasp* 7 games with him at the helm. I find that so strange considering he already got us to 6 as a frosh. Given the much better Oline and other talent, including WR, we should do damn well.

Does anyone else remember how many sure thing TD passes were DROPPED his frosh year?

I am just saying, Cody will never be a bradford, but given the proper tools he could definitely do 20+ TD's and 3000 yards with less than 10 INT's. that is not an insane statement and someone will owe me a sig line when it occurs.

I just am tired of posts where people are wringing their hands about cody being a QB... We can have a damn successful season with him.

I agree, as that chart shows Robert Griffin only one spot above Cody. And who here would not trade Cody for Robert Griffin in a heartbeat? Yet the team around RG is not that good and RG's stats do not show how good he really is. I think the same with Cody-- I do not feel that Cody was the weak link last year. I still think the injuries (huge amount of injuries) on a line that just the year before did not even have enough to run full 11 on 11's in spring practice makes his stats look worse than they should of.

That being said-- the stronger line, more depth, waaay more depth at RB, so more WR's and TE's all bode well for the Buffs this season. The D will look better too IMO if the O can sustain more drives and help the D not get so worn out by the end of the season.
The bolded part is a very important fact. What happened when bradford got pressure on him with an undependable running game? 2 INT's, one of them a red zone KILLER.

Interesting fact I saw the other day: Cody now will be wearing a visor... that should help with the batted balls. (we all hope)

I think it is a mistake to assume that we can skate by with a game manager at QB. The Big 12 has too many good QBs for a team to expect to succeed with a guy who cannot make plays when it matters.

Until we get an upper tier qb in here,we'll have to have a game manager. We've had a game manager here at qb for awhile. I'm hoping hansas can make the jump but as you said,CU can't expect to succeed without a guy who can make plays when it matters.

A lot of stuff doesn't show up significantly enough in stats, like the overthrows against FSU and some of the other gaffes that I don't care to wrack my memory to try to remember...

Is he horrible? No. Will CU win 10 or even 8 games with him at QB? I have questions, particularly in a passing-oriented offense.

Teams that can get away with having mediocre QB play and still have great seasons are teams that have great defenses and great running games. Our run game is promising and our defense should be competent, at least, but neither can be described as great right now.

The passing game has the biggest room for improvement on this team right now. That includes OL, as well know, but it ALSO inludes QB play.

This has been covered ad nauseum, but those who think that the OL was the only issue last year really see things quite differently than I do. Go back and watch some game tape... OL play doesn't have much to do with throwing 5 yards behind receivers or 10 yards ahead of them when the QB has time in the pocket.

For this team to take the next step they either need to go completely away from the passing game or they need to do something else at QB. Arm strength, accuracy down the field, size, mobility are simply not issues that can be overcome. College teams aren't generally successful throwing 8 yard slants all game. You need to be able to get big plays and move the ball down the field because it is simply unrealistic to expect college kids to be able to consistently string together 10-12+ play drives because there is no big play threat as a result of a QB who does simply not have the physical tools to get the ball to wideouts down the field.

It is no attack on Cody as an individual but the inability to consistently throw the ball down the field is not something that can be overcome due to physical limitations and it will continue to hurt this team as long as it remains an issue. I really do not believe that football teams can be dominant if they can't stretch the field with the passing game. If your only real threat is 7 yard patterns, that puts a whole lot of pressure on the run game to perform against a defense that probably is going to stack the box, play close to the line, and force you to beat them down the field.

Any way you slice it CU's offense was not satisfactory last year and I personally do not think we will take the next step until we can get a bit more out of the QB position.

ya... he wasn't great... that wasn't what I was arguing. However, there are quite a few teams out there who would take an average QB in a heart beat. And it is not fair to compare him to the Big XII, last year was probably the greatest collection of QB talent/production in one conference that we will see in a long time.
"go play intramurals, this is the Big 12"

visor= harder to see eyes = harder to guess where he is gonna throw. bastards. :lol:

Cody CAN be a good QB is what I was saying. A lot of people say we could never win more than 5 or 6 or at most *gasp* 7 games with him at the helm. I find that so strange considering he already got us to 6 as a frosh. Given the much better Oline and other talent, including WR, we should do damn well.

Does anyone else remember how many sure thing TD passes were DROPPED his frosh year?

I am just saying, Cody will never be a bradford, but given the proper tools he could definitely do 20+ TD's and 3000 yards with less than 10 INT's. that is not an insane statement and someone will owe me a sig line when it occurs.

I just am tired of posts where people are wringing their hands about cody being a QB... We can have a damn successful season with him.

You seem to be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Fact is, the Buffs have ranked #10 and #12 (by nearly 5 points) in scoring offense in his two seasons as the starting QB. Trot out all the numbers you want, but the bottom line is that the offense has not been very good.

You keep throwing out general statements like Cody can be a "good" QB or how many teams would "kill to have a QB like him". The results simply do not match the rhetoric.

The visor has a laser-guidance system built in that bisects an oncoming rusher's arms.

:lol:

A lot of stuff doesn't show up significantly enough in stats, like the overthrows against FSU and some of the other gaffes that I don't care to wrack my memory to try to remember...

Is he horrible? No. Will CU win 10 or even 8 games with him at QB? I have questions, particularly in a passing-oriented offense.

Teams that can get away with having mediocre QB play and still have great seasons are teams that have great defenses and great running games. Our run game is promising and our defense should be competent, at least, but neither can be described as great right now.

The passing game has the biggest room for improvement on this team right now. That includes OL, as well know, but it ALSO inludes QB play.

This has been covered ad nauseum, but those who think that the OL was the only issue last year really see things quite differently than I do. Go back and watch some game tape... OL play doesn't have much to do with throwing 5 yards behind receivers or 10 yards ahead of them when the QB has time in the pocket.

For this team to take the next step they either need to go completely away from the passing game or they need to do something else at QB. Arm strength, accuracy down the field, size, mobility are simply not issues that can be overcome. College teams aren't generally successful throwing 8 yard slants all game. You need to be able to get big plays and move the ball down the field because it is simply unrealistic to expect college kids to be able to consistently string together 10-12+ play drives because there is no big play threat as a result of a QB who does simply not have the physical tools to get the ball to wideouts down the field.

It is no attack on Cody as an individual but the inability to consistently throw the ball down the field is not something that can be overcome due to physical limitations and it will continue to hurt this team as long as it remains an issue. I really do not believe that football teams can be dominant if they can't stretch the field with the passing game. If your only real threat is 7 yard patterns, that puts a whole lot of pressure on the run game to perform against a defense that probably is going to stack the box, play close to the line, and force you to beat them down the field.

Any way you slice it CU's offense was not satisfactory last year and I personally do not think we will take the next step until we can get a bit more out of the QB position.

And not to mention, Cody's 19 yard sprint for our own endzone. Not the play of a 'smart' QB, which is what Cody is supposed to be.

Good post.

Excellent post, especially the bold. Rep sent.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that snow has no clue what he's talking about here.

As you mentioned, it is a clear visor, and it also does not make much difference if you never bother to check off your first receiver (which Cody is prone to do most of the time).

A visor isn't going to help all that much. It's not like his arm is going to start zinging the ball and he isn't going to grow anymore.

Put some gene simmons kiss boots on him, that would get better results than a visor.

Back