What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football Magazines Are Out

Love the completely arbitrary percentages! I'd say 58% of your predictions have a 73% chance of being right.

I guess you are not a big fan of numbers being used as a way to express opinions.

5 out of 6 posts on Allbuffs have arbitrary word use. Just sayin'.

Speaking of the competiveness of the Pac-12 compared to the Big 12, doesn't CU usually step up to the challenge against better competition than weaker competition (*cough* Montana State & Eastern Washington *cough*)?

I guess you are not a big fan of numbers being used as a way to express opinions.

5 out of 6 posts on Allbuffs have arbitrary word use. Just sayin'.

I'm thinking a full blown statistical study needs to be established. Getting to the bottom of this is of the utmost importance...that and beating Hawaii.

It might have been but I thought it was 91 or 92, I just remember them beating the piss out of the U in the Fiesta Bowl. You are right it was 93, that's when they beat the U anyway. Think they got dubbed the Desert Swarm for a few years but could be wrong on that.

Yep, that was their nickname. And that was one bad-azz defense. By the 3rd quarter of that f-bowl, the U receivers refused to raise their arms for any pass above the head -- they'd been pounded into submission. The QB would take 3 or 4 steps back and just chuck and duck, if he didn't already get sacked. Frickin' hilarious.

God damn, Athlons sucks. I got one yesterday and felt like I wasted my money. I should just get phil Steele every year only.

As excited as I am for the Pac-12, it will be more competitive than the Big 12 for sure. Unlike Iowa State, Washington State has had big time success and actual conference crowns to show for it.

I want to stress that every Pac-12 school has won a conference title since the 1990's and that is not something that the Big 12, ACC, Big Ten, and SEC fans can say about their conferences.

to me, you could argue that means mediocrity just as easily. Kansas won a BCS bowl in the last 5 years....but, ever since we've moved to the Pac a 6 win KU team sucks but a 6 win Oregon State or U of A team is salty. i think sometimes we are letting our new perspective color our judgment.

i would prefer the qualifier "competitive balance" than simply "more competitive" as in better top to bottom. the latter remains to be seen, imo. 10 of the 12 Big XII schools played in the non BCS Big XII #2 bowl spot (old Holiday seed) or better since 96. kind hard to go back to 1990 against the XII since it wasn't even formed until 96.

God damn, Athlons sucks. I got one yesterday and felt like I wasted my money. I should just get phil Steele every year only.

I glanced at the magazines in the store the other day and was shocked to see that Athlon's I think it was had Notre Dame ranked 6th. :wtf:

Athlon's and Lindy's are both always the first ones out, but they always suck balls. Sporting News is also out, and they're a little better. But I'll wait for Phil Steele..

It was fun looking at the newsstand and seeing all the magazines said "Pac-12 preview", though... :woot:

I don't think I'm buying the magazines this year. All the info I want is easily available online and the magazine info is often dated or not a great snapshot of the teams (knowing how off the CU reviews always seem to be, how can I trust the other ones?).

Always a chance I might break down because it would be the first time in over 20 years I haven't bought them all. Doubt it, though.

P.S. Please do not move my post to a new "All-In-One Pre-Season Football Mags Suck" Island thread.

I glanced at the magazines in the store the other day and was shocked to see that Athlon's I think it was had Notre Dame ranked 6th. :wtf:

WTF is right.... What kind of magazine doesn't put ND number 1 preseason. ND always has the top recruiting class and preaseason ranking... always.

I wonder who Beano Cook will pick to win the title this year? Hmmm, Ill go out on a limb and say Penn St.:lol: Seems like that is the only damn team he ever picks.

Last? Really? I know we wont be great by any means, but we never finished last under Hawkins or Fairbanks if I recall, our two worst stretches in program history.

I can see us finishing above UCLA and possibly Arizona.

:lol: ucla has a better roster than us.

:lol: ucla has a better roster than us.

So, I'm sure Kansas state and Georgia had a better roster than us too. UCLA has a ****** coach. UCLA is a bad team. Please don't argue that UCLA is significantly better than us, that itself is laughable. Talent yes, as a team, no they are not. The only problem we have with UCLA this year is it's a road game. If it were in Boulder, we would win no problem.

Last edited:
So, I'm sure Kansas state and Georgia had a better roster than us too. UCLA has a ****** coach. UCLA is a bad team. Please don't argue that UCLA is significantly better than us, that itself is laughable. Talent yes, as a team, no they are not. The only problem we have with UCLA this year is it's a road game. If it were in Boulder, we would win no problem.

Pretty tough claim since we've never seen our team in action against another school. Same argument for whoever thought Arizona was in much worse shape due to new OL - our entire offense is new, at least their backups have been in the system. We have an uphill battle...

Pretty tough claim since we've never seen our team in action against another school. Same argument for whoever thought Arizona was in much worse shape due to new OL - our entire offense is new, at least their backups have been in the system. We have an uphill battle...

it's also kind of hard to assume a win over UCLA based on ****** coaching since our current HC has coached exactly zero games at CU. i like where it sounds we are headed, but until it happens there is no way to know.

it's also kind of hard to assume a win over UCLA based on ****** coaching since our current HC has coached exactly zero games at CU. i like where it sounds we are headed, but until it happens there is no way to know.

For the same reasons, people shouldn't be assuming losses.

I'm not assuming a win, it's gonna be tough regardless solely because the roadie and our recent struggles on the road. I'm just saying that UCLA is not a very good team and it's silly to automatically think UCLA is a lot better than us. UCLA won 4 games last year, we won 5.

Colorado, Washington state and UCLA are the bottom dwellers right now.

Do you know what I think is sillier than saying UCLA is better than Colorado? That Ohio state is a top 25 program.

Last edited:
If we score in the 30s most games, we will be all right. If not, it is going to be a long season.

For the same reasons, people shouldn't be assuming losses.

Well it is a big question mark, which makes me pessimistic in the short term, but largely assumed due to not matching up in overall talent, thanks to he-who-shall-not-be-named.

If we score in the 30s most games, we will be all right. If not, it is going to be a long season.

This I agree with 110%

Our defense worries me, especially the secondary. Pac-12 offenses could have fun with us. We have some talent on offense and if they can grasp the new pro style offense quickly, we should be a lot better on this side of the ball. Heres hoping with Hansen named the starter already the team can really gel around him and he has a full summer of knowing he's the guy.

But yes, we are gonna have to score a lot more than last year to get close to bowl eligible. I do think this team will be a lot more disciplined this year and that will hopefully help as well.

A lot of question marks, will be an interesting season thats for sure.

Last edited:
This I agree with 110%

Our defense worries me, especially the secondary. Pac-12 offenses could have fun with us. We have some talent on offense and if they can grasp the new pro style offense quickly, we should be a lot better on this side of the ball. Heres hoping with Hansen named the starter already the team can really gel around him and he has a full summer of knowing he's the guy.

But yes, we are gonna have to score a lot more than last year to get close to bowl eligible.

So ifs on offense and a questionable defense. Yep, that's why I predicted 4-5 wins. It would be awesome to really surprise this season, but my expectations are low: I just hope to see fewer mistakes, some passion, and improvement week to week (and win the games we should win).

So ifs on offense and a questionable defense. Yep, that's why I predicted 4-5 wins. It would be awesome to really surprise this season, but my expectations are low: I just hope to see fewer mistakes, some passion, and improvement week to week (and win the games we should win).

I see 4-6 wins, which could still put us ahead of UCLA. I dont know why people are thinking I'm thinking we're gonna be great or something. I just said UCLA is not very good, I also said UCLA could very easily be a loss for us as its a road game.

On a side note, I do think we will upset somebody this year and we win a road game.

Last edited:
This I agree with 110%

But yes, we are gonna have to score a lot more than last year to get close to bowl eligible. I do think this team will be a lot more disciplined this year and that will hopefully help as well.

A lot of question marks, will be an interesting season thats for sure.

The other wild card is special teams. Just an improvement to mediocrity would make a major difference in tight games.

As far as defense goes, I am just hoping we play "bend but not break." We are going to have issues with the speed of most teams, so limiting big plays is going to be huge.

The other wild card is special teams. Just an improvement to mediocrity would make a major difference in tight games.

As far as defense goes, I am just hoping we play "bend but not break." We are going to have issues with the speed of most teams, so limiting big plays is going to be huge.

Special Teams are your El Guapo, BB--hell, they're the El Guapo for any CU Fan. Dear Christ, I hope we're improved across the board on special teams.

el_guapo_jpg-magnum.jpg

I dont think we have a choice but to consistently score in the 30's to win games this year. That is unless our defense really surprises.

I dont think we have a choice but to consistently score in the 30's to win games this year. That is unless our defense really surprises.

Historically, the unit on our team that we've been most concerned about has impressed, and those areas in which we've felt most confident have significantly underdelivered. I'm tired of even trying to imagine what one of our teams will look like until they hit the field.

Back