1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Football's Most Overrated

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Quattro, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Pretty interesting article.

TeamConferencePercent
    Florida StateACC-60.4
    CaliforniaPac 12-47.7
    TennesseeSEC-40.1
    NebraskaBig 10-33.0
    FloridaSEC-30.9
    Notre DameIndependent-30.5
    Miami (FL)ACC-27.7
    MichiganBig 10-23.7
    Virginia TechACC-20.1
    OklahomaBig 12-19.7

2. The Guest

The Guest Guest

That is interesting. I'm amazed that any team could have more undeserved pre-season hype than Notre Dame, that there are five teams that fit that description is incredible.

3. Quattro

I was surprised that OU was that low considering how much hype they get each year, same with Cal even being on there. It doesn't seem like Cal gets too much hype.

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Your impressions are different than mine.

OU often drops big bowl games, but still typically finish top ten. I was surprised to see them on the list at all.

Cal on the other hand...

Big hype, low finish. Seriously, it's been going on througout the Tefford era of excellence. Lots of hype around Cal. "Rosebowl bound?" Home victories over USC followed by road losses in Corvallis.

This doesn't mean I love Liverflukes any less, by the way.

5. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

...and especially that two of them are in the hallowed SEC, one of them a powerhouse.

Of course, we look great on this list, 0 hype, 0 drop...

'tini, your post would be a lot more readable if you put in percent poll points dropped or something of the kind...

6. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Surprised that texas isn't up there. At this point, I would love to have CU on that list. :smile2:

I wonder what the other side of the coin looks like. Which teams are the most "underrated?" I would think that BSU and TCU are on that list who else?

7. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I doubt that BSU would be on your underrated list, they tend to start the year ranked pretty highly and get annual "BCS buster" love.

Maybe a school like Iowa that rarely gets pre-season attention but more often than not ends up in the picture at the end. Also maybe a K-state and Georgia which have been written off recently only to step up. Another possibility depending on methodology would by Okie State. They have had a number of good years in a row now but only got the pre-season pub recently.

I too am surprised that there are five schools ahead of ND. That Free Shoes is one of them isn't surprising.

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

How are texas and texas a&m not on the list

9. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Texas should be. But Aggy is only overrated with Aggy. Everybody else has kind of figured it out.

10. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Texas does not belong on the list. Going back to 2001, they have finished in the top 5 half the time. Have they underachieved in terms of championships (both conference and national)? Yes. Are they severely overrated most years? Not really.

A team that should be on that list is West Virginia. Easily the most profile Big East team over the last decade and yet there are several 4-loss seasons in that timeframe.

11. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Last two years count for something, though, right? They were doozies.

12. Duff Man

Definitely. Another 5-6 loss season would put Texas squarely on the list.

As far as underrated going back to 2001, Oregon would likely be on the list.

13. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Texas should have been winning national titles every other year for the past 15 years

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Keep in mind that this list is relative based on how high a team is ranked to start the season, that's how OU made the list, because they start most seasons in the top 5 or even at #1 a few times. On the other hand, that's why ND isn't higher on the list, because they haven't started real high in the rankings over the past decade.

15. Duff Man

True, although I think it is fair in punishing/highlighting Oklahoma's struggles in BCS bowl games though.

16. Quattro

That's just how the article had the stats and I was too tired and sick to change it up. It's pretty easy though if you read this part:

17. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Yes, it's obviously obvious if you read the article. By not adding something of an explanation, like your quote above, you force people to go to the link. But whatever.

18. Quattro

Sorry I'm too lazy to fix it. The article is pretty interesting anyway so it's not a bad thing.

19. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

This is really a crappy method for 'overrated-ness'. In assumes that the poll at the end of the year is gospel. It is entirely possible that a team could be overrated at the end of the year too; e.g. pollsters may always vote Notre Dame higher than their true talent level, and thus, their 'overrated-ness' wouldn't show as high in a study such as this one.

20. Quattro

It's actually a good way. Nothing is the gospel in college football but the vast majority of people rely on rankings to determine how good a team is. If a team like say FSU starts out #3 or whatever it was and finishes outside of the top 25 wouldn't that make them overrated and a good way to determine it?

21. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

yea but I think they started the season unranked.

22. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Hit the nail on the head with FSU. It's been a bewildering decade with how much they've squandered and yet we're still talking about them. Wonder if having both Bowden and Paterno out of the picture now will speed up the trend of their respective schools quickly becoming more irrelevant in the media. Then again, If Florida or Miami would step up and start controlling their conferences I think we'd see FSU disappear from the preseason polls much more quickly. Got to give a respectful nod to the state of Florida, but damn, none of the schools there want to take it.

23. neil29fp

Did you read/comprehend anything I wrote?

By gospel, I meant that the end of the year rankings are truth data, i.e. absolutely correct. However, I suggested that teams that are highly overrated, such as Notre Dame, will still be overrated at the end of the year, due to the fact that their brand has an influence on their final ranking. As such, an attempt to determine 'overrated-ness' by use of the polls will be masked by the 'overrated-ness' innate to that team's ranking.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  24. Quattro

That's not how I read it but I disagree with your statement.

25. neil29fp

Fair enough.

26. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Texas would be a middle of the road $EC team. If KSU can beat them? No disrespect to Snyder.

27. Duff Man

The last couple years? Sure.

But GTFO with that **** that Texas would have been a middle of the road SEC team over the last decade.:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

1 person likes this.
  28. Quattro

Whether we like it or not, Texas wins a lot. Since 2000 they are 123-31 with nine 10+ win seasons, 11 bowl games with 8 bowl wins with three of them being BCS games, a national title, two Big 12 titles, and some other stuff. I would ****ing kill for those results right now and that is far better than a middle of the road SEC team.

29. rockybison

rockybison Banned BANNED

how bout underrated. Florida State and Nebrasksa called NDSU for a game. Our AD told them they couldnt afford it

30. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

afford.jpg

1 person likes this.