What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Gameday

Shldr2Shldr

Club Member
Club Member
With Dickie Vitale on campus today wandering around, it got me thinking about a big step in notoriety for our buffs. What would it take to get the Gameday Crew to come out here? Would a huge social media push convince the powers at ESPN? Or is it going to take a top 25 match-up with some history behind it to get us in? I would love to see the the KEG host a ESPN College Gameday this season. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

What are your thoughts?

I talked about this with PacHoops for a while when the CU-KU game date was announced. As much as I'd love it, I think we're still 2 years or so away from it happening. Not quite enough history yet to land it, but we're heading there.

It's going to take continued CU success, being in the top 10 and a highly ranked Arizona, UCLA or OOC blue blood coming in at the right time (not when Duke is playing UNC, etc).

I'm going to echo the other comments here. It's unlikely this year, although not impossible. And the KU date won't likely matter as GameDay doesn't start until about the 2nd or 3rd week of January, it's just the last 8-10 weeks of the season. It isn't like Football, where it's every week at the hottest game (or one ESPN televises) which would probably work in our favor more in this case) -- it's a set schedule.

Also, something to remember they usually only go to 1-2 games west of the Rockies a year and probably only one Pac-12 game (they've been to Gonzaga a few times and usually get to atleast one mid-major game a year).

The truth of the matter is ESPN get exactly what they wanted in terms of crowd support. We would show up at 8 AM (begins at 10 EST) and get a fairly large crowd. That's always a concern for basketball. Fans are hungry for this kind of stuff. GameDay hasn't even been there for football since before my time (I came to Boulder in 2004).

Lastly, Dickie V has cut back his schedule and doesn't travel as far from his Florida base during the season (mostly ACC/some SEC). He does travel in the offseason though (I follow him on Twitter and he posts his vacation spots). He probably wouldn't even do the games if it were here.

With Dickie Vitale on campus today wandering around, it got me thinking about a big step in notoriety for our buffs. What would it take to get the Gameday Crew to come out here? Would a huge social media push convince the powers at ESPN? Or is it going to take a top 25 match-up with some history behind it to get us in? I would love to see the the KEG host a ESPN College Gameday this season. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

What are your thoughts?
A social media push should help, but I think it's going to take sustained excellence and/or a national name to get us in that game. With us, it will take a compelling matchup because CU alone isn't going to sell on the national level like if it were UNC versus Georgia Tech.

It's going to take continued CU success, being in the top 10 and a highly ranked Arizona, UCLA or OOC blue blood coming in at the right time (not when Duke is playing UNC, etc).
The OOC part is going to be tough with when GameDay begins and P12 schedule format.

The OOC part is going to be tough with when GameDay begins and P12 schedule format.

Yeah, the only way OOC happens is if we have one of those marquee randomly scheduled OOC games to break up the conference season and that's quite unlikely with 18 game conf schedule. A highly ranked CU a few years from now vs Arizona or UCLA is the safe guess.

When do we play UA at home this year? That's our best chance. That game is starting to be something pretty special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of Dickie V ... what the hell happened to the thread with the pics of him ("It's COLORADO baby!!!")? :huh:

Back