What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Hotline - Pac-12 football: The media day change

RSSBot

News Junkie

(Credit: Mother Jones)

The Hotline will be shutting down for the next two weeks. I’m on vacation and plan to stay off the grid if at all possible. (This post was written before shut down, as was an item that will publish on Thursday.)

I typically take time off in the first half of July. The difference this year is that I’ll miss Pac-12 football media days in Hollywood next week.

My break was locked in well before the conference announced it was moving the media event off its decades-long home in late July. This summer, it’s slotted for the 14th and 15th in order to piggyback off the ESPYs and get the coaches as much face time as possible with top ESPN talent.

Smart move? To the extent the conference relies on ESPN, yes.

But the new dates create an overlap with SEC media days (July 11-14). From the standpoint of real-time exposure in the college football world, the first day of the Pac-12 event will be very much on the back burner.

None of these inside-media issues should matter to fans, and the intent here isn’t to make it into something it’s not.

But exposure matters, and a lack of it can impact issues that do matter to fans and teams, whether it’s top-25 polls, playoff rankings or something like … I dunno … Heisman Trophy voting .

Given that, why would the Pac-12 move its preseason media event out of a long-established window and go head-to-head in an unwinnable media-days duel with the SEC colossus?

(Many national reporters won’t be attending the Pac-12 event; they’ll be camped out in Birmingham.)

After much discussion, the conference decided the ESPYs could provide enough exposure to make the change a risk worth taking.

The coaches will attend the event on July 13 in Los Angeles — Watch out red carpet, here they come! — and then jump right into the standard two-day media festivities in Hollywood.

Anyhow, that’s a bit of background on the matter … an explanation for the ultra-early Pac-12 media event, which is three weeks before training camp and seven weeks before kickoff.

Oh, and one more housekeeping matter:

The conference has again asked media members to pick the division races and title game for its preseason poll. My ballot, submitted last week, will be posted on the Hotline on Thursday. The poll will be released on the 14th.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

* Follow me on Twitter: @WilnerHotline

* My e-book, “Andrew Luck: Inside the Making of a No. 1 Pick,” is available for $2.99 on Amazon for Kindles and for other devices (PCs, iPads and iPhones) with the free Kindle app.

* Download the Bay Area News Group’s new iPad app for more college sports and other news, or check out college sports coverage on MercuryNews.com.

The post Pac-12 football: The media day change appeared first on College Hotline.

Continue reading...

by Jon Wilner

Back