1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colorado at #41

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 14er, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rivals ranks CU #41 in the nation

I think their assessment is right on, not too many things to disagree with.

2. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

i dissagree with the "4" in the ranking!!!!

:gobuffs::woot::gobuffs::woot::gobuffs:

3. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

Concur - not much new:
    Offensive issue - quarterback; wide receiver
    Defensive issue - line depth and talent
    Special teams - kicking game

It is encouraging, however, that the Buffs, with three consecutive losing seasons on the books, is rated above a number of teams coming off bowl appearances, including #42 Missouri.

Go Buffs! :thumbsup:

4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Dead Nuts on. My biggest fear is the lack of athletism at QB and WR will focus defenses on stopping the run. Don't care how good this very young OLine is, it's difficult to run the ball when the D stacks the box. Paging Mr. Simmons, Paging Mr. Simmons....

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I think WR is gonna be better than most think. Simmons, McNight, and Simas!:wow:

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We'll see. Just hope we avoid injuries at that position.

7. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

"Hawkins had a slight edge out of spring practice, but only because of experience. Hansen is the better athlete and a better runner, and you might see the Buffs rotating quarterbacks this fall."
    If we end up rotating quarterbacks - we are in deep $hit.

8. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

ya maybe, what are you gonna do about it?

9. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

That's not what I saw. He had better command of the offense, not sure if that is becaue of experience or just leadership. He also was throwing better passes in the spring game. From what I saw it wasn't really that close.

10. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Right now if we can't pass we won't be able to run. The passing game is a problem - or could become one - losing J-Fly didn't help. As far as what to do about it - I guess you go with the play action short to medium range, but no more Hawkins rolling out to the right and throwing back to the left across his body. Rotating QB's can work but it seldom does.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  11. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

You don't pass to set up the run--you run to set up the pass. I'd rather have a good ground game and weaker passing game than vice versa.

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You pass to soften up the defenders so they can't stack the box. That doesn't necessarily mean throwing 40 yard bombs all the time, but you have to be able to sneak your WR's downfield behind the safeties. Otherwise, you are constantly running against 8 man fronts. If there's no fear of the pass, it doesn't matter how good the running game is. You need balance.

13. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Basically put, we don't run the ball well, we are screwed. If we can't run the ball well...that means a higher likehood of going three and out and putting our defense on the field for longer stretches of times than they should be. The success of the Buffs this season lies in the offense's ability to move the chains.

14. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

fify

Which is true for every team, we still need balance, but it is how you move the ball against higher quality opponents that gets you the recognition for recruiting. Teams like boise st did it with lower ranked recruits and I think that is what we were all hoping for from Hawk. And are still hoping that it will show up consistantly, we have seen glimpses, just not week to week.

15. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I think our success lies in our ability to do a few things:

1. Complete the big play

We finally saw this against Nebraska. If a defense makes a mistake, make them pay for it. Missed opportunities vs FSU cost us a chance at a big first half lead.

2. Use the middle of the field

Too many teams defended the sideline and flats and we didn't make them pay for it. Hopefully with better protection from the OL, we can allow our TEs/RBs to pressure defenses up the middle.

3. Convert strong drives into points

Missed FGs, holding penalties and turnovers turned effective drives into scoreless ones. Protect the football and turn those long drives into points.

4. Yards on 1st down

Can't get Cody into 3rd and long situations and it all starts on 1st down.

5. Don't get cute after an effective drive

Another thing we saw all too often. Several strong runs/plays in a row, just to call a reverse and fumble the handoff.

16. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Im gonna suit up and request another year of eligibility. What are you gonna do? :smile2:

But since I haven't played the game in over 25 years my guess is that would be a colossal mistake.