1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colorado Buffaloes: 2010 First Look: Special Teams

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by chipwich, Feb 2, 2010.

1. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I knew DiLallo had a poor season, but a net average of 32.7 yards? Good lord. Talk about putting your defense in bad spots. I will not get into the whole Aric Goodman saga, other than to say he better not have a free path to the starting job.

I will also be very disappointed if Epsinoza is returning punts. We need to find a way to make plays in the return game in 2010.

3. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Would have beat Neb. if we could tackle on punts and/or get the f-ing football out of our end of the field. Was pathetic to watch Neb. get the ball at their own 45 every series.

4. chipwich

3.3 yds a punt return. Seriously ?

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It is just laughable. How Riddle is going to keep his job (and be one of the highest paid coaches on the staff) is amazing.

6. The Guest

The Guest Guest

That one long one against Toledo really helped our season average.

7. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

One of the highest paid? Nothing makes sense to me anymore. Wake me up when this nightmare is over. :wow:

8. chipwich

Check out his bio

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=226212

"[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]While his units didn't rank as high as he is accustomed to in his first season at Colorado".. first year ? what about now ????

Boise this and Boise that. Unreal.

[/FONT]

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

2009 Individual and Team Statistical Leaders for NCAA Football

Here are the CU results for Special Teams:

Individual
    Matt DiLallo: 86th out of 98 qualifying FBS punters with Punting Average of 38.64 yards
    Jason Espinoza: 64th out of 64 qualifying FBS returners with a Punt Return Average of 3.09 yards
    Brian Lockridge: 73rd out of 100 qualifying FBS returners with a Kickoff Return Average of 23.30 yards
    Aric Goodman: 91st out of 100 qualifying FBS kickers with a .83 FG/Game; 100th out of 100 with a made FG% of 0.556

Team
    Punt Return Yardage Defense: 87th out of 120 FBS programs with a 10.89 average
    Net Punting: 113th out of 120 FBS programs with a 31.85 average
    Punt Returns: 117th out of 120 FBS programs with a 3.33 average
    Kickoff Return Yardage Defense: 27th out of 120 FBS programs with a 20.16 average
    Kickoff Returns: 21st out of 120 FBS programs with a 23.87 average

Basically, we're pretty good at kicking off and returning kickoffs. Totally happy to have Goodman and Lockridge in those roles for 2010.

Our punting, punt returning and field goal kicking absolutely suck.

Grossnickle is slated to replace DiLallo, so that should help.

We need to find a punt returner. It's not Espinoza and McKnight didn't look good either. Hildreth? One of the incoming freshmen?

We need to find a field goal kicker. Also Grossnickle? Kirkwood maybe? Castor as a true freshman?

Also coverage teams should benefit from 2010 being a deeper, more experienced team. That needs to be a major area of emphasis this spring and fall, though.

Anyway, great job as always by Montana.

10. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

This really confuses the heck out of me.

Everyone seems to agree that Grossnickle has a better leg than DiLallo so that should be an improvement. Kickoffs and kickoffs returns were good, hopefully we don't manage to get worse in those departments somehow. Punt returning and the coverage of it were some of the worst I've ever seen. They need to figure out a way to put somebody back there at returner that can catch the ball and actually represent a threat to return it for more than 4 yards. Coverage of punts should get a boost since Grossnickle has better hang time than line drive DiLallo. Field goals... hopefully Castor or Grossnickle are ready to step in because I have no doubt in my mind that Goodman is simply not an accurate kicker. The guy has a cannon, but is inaccurate on top of being a head case.

Great writeup as always Montana!

11. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Pelini is a football coach, Hawkins is a fart in the wind.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Lockridge was decent but what happens to our KO return stats if you take out the couple of long one that Scott had.

As with many other parts of the team the specials looked unprepared and disorganized more often than not.

Dilallo regressed significantly, I wonder how much of it had to do with the fairly regular pressure he was recieving from the punt rush.

Goodman similarly was reported to hit virtually everything in practice, he has the physical talent. I wonder if he got his head messed with by the bodies flying past him on a regular basis as he was trying to kick.

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I thought about that, but Scott's returns were against our weakest competition for the most part and he never actually made anyone miss or broke a tackle. I believe that it's safe to say that B-Lock would have put up similar numbers if he'd been returning against Toledo and whatnot. In fact, Lockridge produced a touchdown the only time he got a chance as a KO returner in the early part of the season.

Maybe we miss Scott here, but I don't think we will.

Totally agree that Special Teams sucked. KO returns were adequate. KOs & KO coverage was good. Everything else was a train wreck (and that's being kind).

I hope you're onto something about our blocking being a factor in the performance of our kicker & punter. More veteran starters and backups should help that. And it better. We cannot have a repeat of the Texas collapse.

14. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I helps to pad the return average when you get way too many chances every game. With all the points the defense allowed, the simple law of averages say we had to have a few good kickoff returns.

16. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

We have got to improve our punt returns. How can a team average 3.3 yards per return with a long of 15. I know (Riddle). Considering that teams are using that funky blocking formation with two or three guys right in front of the punter, how in the world can you not block the remaining seven guys with your ten.

17. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

The concept of using a miserably unathletic walk-on to return punts resulted in... drummroll... literally the worst punt return stats in the nation?

Who would have guessed?

It really is one of the more clean indications that Hawkins is a complete moron that doesn't understand football.

In the rest of the nation, teams use their athletes to return punts. At CU, we pray to the Zen God of Bullsh*t and put the worst athlete on the entire team out there to return them, while we have great athletes at the WR position - who, coincidentally, are also benched in favor of the exact same player on offense as well as special teams - watching from the sidelines and cheering.

Logic? That is not the Dan Hawkins way. You have never faced any struggles or overcome any challenges. You are not a football coach. You do not have children.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010