What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Depth Chart vs. CSU

Dunno. I think McWlwain is very, um, fortunate. But you know what? His results are hard to argue with. I thought, though we won last year, we were out coached. We were fortunate to win.

I mis-stated that, too. He is 2/3 against McElwain and has won 3/4 in against CSU with a win over Bobo last year. (This includes his last season at SJSU.)

I'm expecting big improvement in OL play which result in better QB play. Defense should take another step forward mostly due to more experience.
I expect CSU to be worse, although their QB is better now than he was in that game last year. But he doesn't throw a deep ball. Just a lot of dink and dunk.

It's possible but Huntley is pretty raw and an understandably inexperienced route runner. He's not fast enough to simply outrun competition at this level. He has to learn to create separation. Once he does that, it will be difficult to keep him off the field.

Is this what you've seen? Or is this just general stuff you say about freshmen WRs? Not sarcasm, legit question because I haven't seen the kid beyond his highlight tape and what I've heard from the limited practices that have been open. What I saw in his film that translates on any level is his ability to use his size to shield defenders and his athleticism to meet the ball at its high point. I haven't seen that from Bobo yet on the field, and haven't seen the crisp route running that you're talking about from him either. Hence my comment it's a combination of high on Huntley, fool me twice with Bobo.

Read who's posting....that's where. The usual suspects at "naysaying" and "Coaching staff sucks" and "Horrible this and that" crowd.
According to them: Leavit is stupid and sucks: Chev is a poseur and stifled by HCMM; Lindgren a loser who never learns; HCMM way over-rated and too emotional; the players never learn, never get bigger or stronger, stay stupid, remain unfamiliar with new concepts.....on and on and on...ad infinitum, ad nauseum! (see Big Jim's comments).

Seen this same kind of bunch every year for all the years I've been following 'em and that's far longer than most of these current clowns have been alive!

The year the Buffs won the MNC, there was this fat, bearded clown two rows in front of me at Folsom, who spent the better part of each game screaming obscenities at Coach Mac for being a poor recruiter and stupid play caller. Reminding him of Mac's W/L record, player accolades and draft choices, had no effect on him. This current group of neg-nancies, who regularly beclown themselves here, remind me very much of him!

Listen, Big Jim usually takes every opportunity he has to take a shot at some guys, but also sometimes he is very realistic on where this program is, and that is needed. I think this site is more puppy breath and unicorn farts than it is negative Nancy's. The fact is, even though we made improvements last year, we lost 4 games that we should/could have won last year. I don't think you can get on guys for voicing criticism for that, unless it's yelling like an idiot at a game like you mentioned. It should be done constructively on a board, or in private, etc.

Also, Big Jim consistently says positive things about Leavitt being a good coach, enough that made me realize he can be fairly objective. He's also made some strong posts recently that I've found surprisingly encouraging about how he feels this season could go.

Lindgren does suck and had done ZERO to prove anything beyond that. Poor recruiting, poor play calling, questionable personnel decisions. He's an offensive coordinator at a P5 school, we need a lot out of him and haven't gotten it.

I can't believe I just defended Big Jim.

Is this what you've seen? Or is this just general stuff you say about freshmen WRs? Not sarcasm, legit question because I haven't seen the kid beyond his highlight tape and what I've heard from the limited practices that have been open. What I saw in his film that translates on any level is his ability to use his size to shield defenders and his athleticism to meet the ball at its high point. I haven't seen that from Bobo yet on the field, and haven't seen the crisp route running that you're talking about from him either. Hence my comment it's a combination of high on Huntley, fool me twice with Bobo.
My take on Huntley is based off a small sample size of what I've seen in person this fall. He's still learning to sharpen his breaks and maintain speed. He appears to have all the tools, as you point out, and he should have a high ceiling. I like him a lot.
My comments earlier had nothing to do with Bobo other than I think Huntley will overtake him eventually. I agree, Bobo doesn't run routes well either and I attribute that to work ethic. It takes hours and hours of practice to get that. By most accounts, he hasn't committed to that kind of work in the past. There are claims he's flipped the switch. We shall see.

Hmm. Sefo (with Lindsay as the sole RB) throwing to a very average trio of WRs is a stale repetitive Bundt Cake unless proven otherwise. I'm glad to see that someone had the sense to put Julmisse at CB rather than bury him down the WR depth chart, behind arguably less talented guys. If they're not going to use him as a RB, which I guess was never in the plans, then I like the shot of making him the next really good Buff DB.

BuffEnuf loves throwing coaches under the bus after they leave, so he is plenty negative himself.

I mis-stated that, too. He is 2/3 against McElwain and has won 3/4 in against CSU with a win over Bobo last year. (This includes his last season at SJSU.)

The coach versus coach thing assumes all players are equal. Ask Saban about his years at Michigan State before LSU.

I use this strategy. It's easier when they lose. And more fun when they win.
Isn't that the equivalent of playing not to lose? I know I've approached games like that (especially when EB was coach) but it seemed cowardly to me. I'm all in. We're gonna win. And we're gonna win big!

My take on Huntley is based off a small sample size of what I've seen in person this fall. He's still learning to sharpen his breaks and maintain speed. He appears to have all the tools, as you point out, and he should have a high ceiling. I like him a lot.
My comments earlier had nothing to do with Bobo other than I think Huntley will overtake him eventually. I agree, Bobo doesn't run routes well either and I attribute that to work ethic. It takes hours and hours of practice to get that. By most accounts, he hasn't committed to that kind of work in the past. There are claims he's flipped the switch. We shall see.

That's good info, thank you. It's really unfortunate that Winfree got injured, and we're in this situation where we need Bobo to finally step up or force a true freshman into a very significant role.

Buffs gonna rout the Rammies and finish the season with eight wins will beat Both Muchigan and Oregon Ali g the way.
d3bd7d4e0150df19d47a9f8b773848f0bb8e50d9f1c99ace7b4b4f38245ff8c7.jpg

My hopes for this season:
1. Chev fixes the route tree. Lindgren's offense was full of 4-5 second routes. Sefo needs to get the ball out of his hands in 3 seconds or less. Observations from spring and the practices I was able to see leads me to believe this will be better. I really believe sacks will go down, so will mistakes and efficiency will go up.
2. They stop running the zone read option. Frankly Sefo is just not fast enough and our line is not good enough to run this. Observations lead me to believe we are going to try still. My hope is that Chev adapts where Lindgren could/did not.
3. Tight ends get involved. I think this is a bust as well. I have seen very little signs of plays designed for our tight ends in practice. Maybe they are hiding it.
4. Front 7 on defense does better on the run. I think Topou is going to make a huge difference here. Watch the spring game without him. Our o ran all over our d. During fall practices the defense did much better against the run.
5. Defensive backfield locks pac12 receivers down. Opponents are going to score points but if we can trim another touchdown and give our o some better field position we have a real good shot. The fact that Oliver and Witherspoon are being talked about the same way is a really good thing.

Overall I am still hopeful. I think there is a real good chance that we turn the corner based on our defense. Leavitt and his d reduce opponents scoring by another touchdown a game, and Chev/Lindgren is going to increase efficiency just enough. We turn it around this year.

Immense pressure on Liufau. If he could hit a routine slant I'd feel better about him executing the short "Air Raid" style passing game (with or without Winfree). I'm hoping that his shoulder is healed up and his accuracy and consistency will be enough to stomp CSU and then eventually get us to a bowl game.

Scary that Montez is co #2 with Gehrke at QB. More pressure on Liufau.

My guess is that the Lewis brothers will need to step up at their respective positions (ILB & RB) soon.

Immense pressure on Liufau. If he could hit a routine slant I'd feel better about him executing the short "Air Raid" style passing game (with or without Winfree). I'm hoping that his shoulder is healed up and his accuracy and consistency will be enough to stomp CSU and then eventually get us to a bowl game.

Scary that Montez is co #2 with Gehrke at QB. More pressure on Liufau.

My guess is that the Lewis brothers will need to step up at their respective positions (ILB & RB) soon.

I don't think that's scary. He was behind Gehrke even post-spring despite all the praise from the coaches, so he's clearly battling Gehrke's veteran advantage more than anything and has already managed to jump it up to an OR next to his name as a Co #2, Apsay was clearly way better than Gehrke but didn't jump him for a while and didn't seem to have nearly as much of the coaches faith and respect as Montez already does. Mainly I think it's a motivation tactic they liked using on Montez and Apsay (and Gehrke). If Sefo goes down or whatever, I'd expect they'd throw Montez out there just like how Apsay eventually made his way out there.

My hopes for this season:
1. Chev fixes the route tree. Lindgren's offense was full of 4-5 second routes. Sefo needs to get the ball out of his hands in 3 seconds or less. Observations from spring and the practices I was able to see leads me to believe this will be better. I really believe sacks will go down, so will mistakes and efficiency will go up.
2. They stop running the zone read option. Frankly Sefo is just not fast enough and our line is not good enough to run this. Observations lead me to believe we are going to try still. My hope is that Chev adapts where Lindgren could/did not.
3. Tight ends get involved. I think this is a bust as well. I have seen very little signs of plays designed for our tight ends in practice. Maybe they are hiding it.
4. Front 7 on defense does better on the run. I think Topou is going to make a huge difference here. Watch the spring game without him. Our o ran all over our d. During fall practices the defense did much better against the run.
5. Defensive backfield locks pac12 receivers down. Opponents are going to score points but if we can trim another touchdown and give our o some better field position we have a real good shot. The fact that Oliver and Witherspoon are being talked about the same way is a really good thing.

Overall I am still hopeful. I think there is a real good chance that we turn the corner based on our defense. Leavitt and his d reduce opponents scoring by another touchdown a game, and Chev/Lindgren is going to increase efficiency just enough. We turn it around this year.

Hey Rob, hope you are correct. Still concerned that Mac2 really is gonna let Lindgrening be the final play caller. Chev has to be the veto guy.

Shroomsville.

Ya, Chev will have his input on the game plan, on the sets of plays they are going to utilize each saturday and he will probably be able to offer input during the course of the game, but Lindgren is calling the plays.

I'm just going to laugh everytime someone talks about playcalling being in chevs hands. Forst off, For many reasons, that's a big gamble or bad idea. Second, the coaches have repeatedly said lindgren is the playcaller, so saying otherwise at this point seems strange

Chev himself has said that there needs to be 1 guy calling plays and that the guy is Lindgren. They'll develop the game plan together and talk about what they want to get into in the next series while the Buffs are on defense, but when we are in an offensive series it will be Lindgren calling the plays.

We do have a lot of people who are just now paying closer attention than they were since the season is about to start, so this may not be common knowledge among people who have a life as a Buffs fan that doesn't include reading every interview in June.

Last edited:
Chev himself has said that there needs to be 1 guy calling plays and that the guy is Lindgren. They'll develop the game plan together and talk about what they want to get into in the next series while the Buffs are on defense, but when we are in an offensive series it will be Lindgren calling the plays.

We do have a lot of people who are just now paying closer attention than they were since the season is about to start, so this may not be common knowledge among people who have a life as a Buffs fan that doesn't include reading every interview in June.
That's a good point. I shouldn't sound so harsh. There have been so many pounding this drum all summer I think I have a short fuse on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
BuffEnuf loves throwing coaches under the bus after they leave, so he is plenty negative himself.
Nice, but feeble attempt at rationalization! Guess my comment struck too close to home for you!
Or you're still butt-hurt about pi**-poor job your BFF Walters jacked on CU, as both Rec Coor. and WR coach, eh?
So changing one's mind based upon review of results under their specific control is "throwing someone under the bus"? Got it!

I'm not wowed by this depth chart, but it's close to being the same team that narrowly lost 4 games last year. I'm banking on experience converting a few of those to wins and we go bowling. Fingers crossed.

Ya, Chev will have his input on the game plan, on the sets of plays they are going to utilize each saturday and he will probably be able to offer input during the course of the game, but Lindgren is calling the plays.
This is exactly what Chev and Lindgren said on the radio last week on 760 when they had the "Buff day". It sounded like a pretty smart setup to me.

Since Montez is apparently not taking over #2, I would hope that if Sefo goes down or gets yanked for performance reasons, the staff would consider throwing Awini in there at QB. The dude nearly brought us back at Utah last year, might have won the game had there been more time on the clock for the last drive.

Since Montez is apparently not taking over #2, I would hope that if Sefo goes down or gets yanked for performance reasons, the staff would consider throwing Awini in there at QB. The dude nearly brought us back at Utah last year, might have won the game had there been more time on the clock for the last drive.
Uh... no.

Awini is a very gifted athlete, but our offense he is not a good fit at QB. Just look at his stats at AFA. Passing is not his strong suit. Sure it almost worked at Utah, but I think that is because of the change of pace effect, similar to what UofA did against us when they subbed out Solomon and brought in Randall

Back