What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Fundraising

Donation amount

• $10-$499

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • $500-$999

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • $1000-$2499

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • $2500-$4999

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • $5000-$9999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10000-$19999

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • $20,000 and up

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • CU has forever lost me as a donor

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
We already tried this with the Ralphie fundraiser. About 30 people donated across 3 different websites that totaled thousands of views. Most people either don't care enough to give or have other priorities.

We already tried this with the Ralphie fundraiser. About 30 people donated across 3 different websites that totaled thousands of views. Most people either don't care enough to give or have other priorities.

Are you talking about the one earlier this year by Ralphie Report? If so, we far exceeded the initial goal number.

Sent from a red light

Are you talking about the one earlier this year by Ralphie Report? If so, we far exceeded the initial goal number.

Sent from a red light

Meh. The goal was super low. Anytime there is an easy donation to the CU AD it is not supported whatsoever. The virtual fill-Folsom a couple years ago raised like $1k. Not to mention no one really cares about the 500 people who donate $10. Even if 500 people joined the Buff club at $100 that only nets $50k. We need to worry about the big fish who can throw millions at CU. 99% of the time needs to be dedicated on Solich, Cargill etc etc

Small fish turn into big fish. You have to encourage and foster a donor culture from the time they leave campus. Apparently CU has never thought that this step was worth while.

Applying the current votes on average to the population of registered users at allbuffs, we would raise around $525,000. Sure its not the big time 7 figure donation that gets headlines, but its not nothing either.

I wish some of our wealthy ex players would kick in some dough. Is there a rule about the coaches and AD donating?
If not then our AD should kick some extra cash back to the department. You hear about other schools getting big donations or items purchased from alumni players signing big NFL contracts.

Small fish turn into big fish. You have to encourage and foster a donor culture from the time they leave campus. Apparently CU has never thought that this step was worth while.

Applying the current votes on average to the population of registered users at allbuffs, we would raise around $525,000. Sure its not the big time 7 figure donation that gets headlines, but its not nothing either.

0% chance allbuffs raises 500k or anything close.

And the "little fish" donors don't always turn into "big fish." There's a finite # of people with an interest in CU football with the actual earning capacity to make a large donation.

I wish some of our wealthy ex players would kick in some dough. Is there a rule about the coaches and AD donating?
If not then our AD should kick some extra cash back to the department. You hear about other schools getting big donations or items purchased from alumni players signing big NFL contracts.

Those players tend to feel like the university boosted them to their success. I feel like our most recent alumni feel like they earned their money on their own in spite of the university.

And the "little fish" donors don't always turn into "big fish." There's a finite # of people with an interest in CU football with the actual earning capacity to make a large donation.

To make the donations right now you are correct. Problem is this has been a problem for a long time. If we had a steady stream of $2500 a year donors, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now financially. Having a big cash cow donor would be fantastic, but there aren't many of them. The university needs to encourage the small donors. Everything helps, especially when we are running in the red like we are right now. Hell just a campaign to finish paying off all the coaches we owe money to would be a huge help

Who? I doubt we have a player who makes over $12Mil over the life of his contract.

Mason Crosby is on a restructured contract right now. Set to earn him 14.75 mil over 5 years.
Nate Solder is on his rookie contract. Set to earn 8.54 mil over 4 years.
Jimmy Smith is on his rookie contract. Set to earn 7.46 mil over 4 years.
Nick Kasa is on his rookie contract. Set to earn 2.26 mil over 4 years.

Alec Burks is on his rookie contract. Set to earn 6.33 mil over 3 years.
Andre Roberson is on his rookie contract. Set to earn 1.9 mil over 2 years, with 2 additional club options that would bring him up to 5.3 mil over 4 years.

Last edited:
CU needs to figure something out. Solich is not giving them any money anytime soon, if ever.

Rumor has it he has eyes towards a minority interest in the Broncos.

Meh. The goal was super low. Anytime there is an easy donation to the CU AD it is not supported whatsoever. The virtual fill-Folsom a couple years ago raised like $1k. Not to mention no one really cares about the 500 people who donate $10. Even if 500 people joined the Buff club at $100 that only nets $50k. We need to worry about the big fish who can throw millions at CU. 99% of the time needs to be dedicated on Solich, Cargill etc etc
This line of thinking is just contributing to the bad donor culture at CU. The university needs to attempt to get every graduate to donate. Obviously that is not going to happen, but you can't alienate the small donors. Get a lot of smaller donors, a few bigger corporate donors, and you'll have a consistent and solid donor base.

And the "little fish" donors don't always turn into "big fish."
You're right, they don't - but some of them do. And you don't need very many of them to turn into "big fish" to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Try talking to a "small fish" UT graduate sometime. Ask them about their experience with UT donor solicitations - when did UT start soliciting donations, how often do they contact you, etc. Compare that to your own experience with CU.

Actually, I'll save you the trouble. A friend of mine is a UT graduate. Since graduating UT, she's taught English in South America ~5 years (I'll give you a hint: people don't do this for the money), gone to graduate school (2 years), and worked as a glorified office manager (4 years). She is definitely a "small fish" when it comes to being a UT donor.

When did UT first begin soliciting donations? -Before graduation. Seriously, the school started actively soliciting donations when she was junior.
How often do they call asking for donations? (notice: call, not email or mail) - 2 or 3 times a year.

Now tell me, when you compare that to your experience with CU fundraising, do you think there just might be a reason why UT has a much more developed "donor culture?" Do you think this model has paid off?

Yes, they are bigger than CU, but not much bigger (2013 Freshmen enrollment: UT: 7,252 CU: 5,469). We're talking about large enough alumni population samples that there shouldn't be a large income disparity between the populations, so just based on size they should bring in about 33% more in donations than we do. Ok, I don't know if this is true or not, but I will even grant that maybe UT has historically been larger than CU, so let's go out on a limb and say that just based on size, they should bring in 2 times as much as CU does. Schools don't tend to publish total annual giving numbers (or they are hard to compile), and annual numbers are lumpy, but a good approximation of historic donating is endowment size.

Where was I? Oh yeah, that being very generous to UT because of their added size, they should raise about twice as much, and consequently we would expect their endowment fund to be twice as large as CU's.

CU Endowment: $ 385,666,597
UT Endowment: $2,861,389,483

Um, that's a little more than twice as big...

What they are doing is working, and they fully engage every single alumni starting from while they are still in school, and regardless of whether they are a "big" or a "little" fish. What CU is doing is not working.

Last edited:
I voted the first option, and that is on top of my season tickets. I would probably give more annually if they would do a monthly debit type deal.

they apparently have this now, or claim to:

http://cubuffclub.com/giving/ways-to-give

The flaw here is that they are focusing you on the total pledge if i told you I wanted you to give $250 most people would balk, $20.80 a month though? totally different question.

CU needs to figure something out. Solich is not giving them any money anytime soon, if ever.

Rumor has it he has eyes towards a minority interest in the Broncos.

what the F happened to Solich ? Not too long ago he's part of the interviewing process for Butch Jones and now he's a no go ?
what gives ?

There is no way in hell you'd get 25% to contribute $10 a week. First of all, that's a lot of money and particularly so for someone fresh out of college. Second, as tante points out, lots and I mean lots of people wouldn't ever give any money to CU Athletics. I know I never have and probably never will.

25% is completely unrealistic only 2 schools in our league get more than 15% of their Alumni to donate - Stanford and USC. The best public school is UW at 15% the rest trail WAY off from there. I'd argue we need to poach some folks from USC & The Furd, but the numebrs and the response i have heard lead me to believe all public schools in the Pac-12 will never rival Stanford and USC's donation rates.

Ok. I am going to get Old man on you and S2S.

You want the little fish you absolutely need to build the little fish up. One major thing CU has completely failed to do is "fill the funnel" there are no programs to engage the youngest donors, no Buff Club specials for young alumni, no events scheduled that would create buy-in, no follow up with the C-Unit after the trips to vegas, and the tourney. That base of invested young fans absolutely needs to built upon for future success, we (as have other public peer schools) have completely failed to do this. USC and Stanford are calling asking perspective donors for money BEFORE they even graduate. Someone who is in the system early and often even at tiny amounts becomes accustomed to giving, they become invested, and their LTV is infinitely higher than that of some one new you talk into donating for the first time.

The program should be to get: members of the C-unit, Spirit squads, Athletes, and students invested in program to donate right away, even before graduation where compliant and feasible. Even if you get it done at a discounted rate of $35 a year having someone engaged and into the system changes for ever the value of that user/prospect/donor.

Will these guys all become big fish? Absolutely not, but if you can pull 350-500 new young donors into the program a year over the course of 10 years you materially change the out come, and you know one of those kids will hit it big and several will hit it medium on a fairly consistent basis.

Ya I'm not saying there isn't work that needs to be done. I joined the Buff Club as a first time donor and received some generic letter from the CU foundation thanking me for my donation. Absolutely nothing athletics related, plus I haven't heard anything since then

Do they offer a CU Athletics credit card? I had one from Penn State after I graduated from there. I'm not sure what portion of the money went to the university AD, but I would think that it would get up there when I look at how many miles airlines are willing to give out to attract folks to their MCs & Visas. Why can't Rick George do this with a Buff Club CC? It would be pretty easy to get extra money from graduates and boosters that way since everyone needs/uses a credit card and we'd be passively donating (no skin off our teeth) with a portion of the transaction fees going to the CU AD.

they apparently have this now, or claim to:

http://cubuffclub.com/giving/ways-to-give

The flaw here is that they are focusing you on the total pledge if i told you I wanted you to give $250 most people would balk, $20.80 a month though? totally different question.

Not sure if they will do $20.80 but they will do a flat dollar amount per month. I know because I use the plan. Also makes it very easy and less painful to up the donation amount if I want to. A lot easier than cutting a big check once a year.

I say we hand out Honorary Doctorates to random rich people.

101240-tommy_lee_617_409.jpg

He was blamed by some circles for the firing of Bohn. Solich was not happy at all with that whole thing. He liked bohn, and was not involved at all in that process. Maybe he felt that with thinking about giving $50mil to the AD he should at least be told what was going on.

Back