What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Needs To Be Proactive

The point remains, though. We got caught in a facilities arms race in the Big 12 and fell hopelessly behind. A very similar arms race is starting right now in the Pac 12. We can't afford to be left behind again. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but plans need to be drawn up and work needs to begin soon. We need to be able to show recruits and boosters that we won't be left behind.

I've said this before, and I think it's still accurate - we don't need to have the absolute best facilities in the world. Boulder will sell itself to a large extent. However, we can't afford the perception that we're light years behind our competitors, either.

Seriously video boards and scoreboard are that important? Recruits want great facilities (i.e. indoor practice facility, expanded weight room, etc) Video boards and a scoreboard isn't going to attract new recruits.

The point remains, though. We got caught in a facilities arms race in the Big 12 and fell hopelessly behind. A very similar arms race is starting right now in the Pac 12. We can't afford to be left behind again. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but plans need to be drawn up and work needs to begin soon. We need to be able to show recruits and boosters that we won't be left behind.

I've said this before, and I think it's still accurate - we don't need to have the absolute best facilities in the world. Boulder will sell itself to a large extent. However, we can't afford the perception that we're light years behind our competitors, either.

Exactly. We need to have facilities that are nice enough that no prospect is choosing other programs over us based on facilities. There's a diminishing return with this. If we can just get it to the point where someone isn't blown away by what they see at Texas A&M as compared to what they saw at CU, then we'll do very well competing on other criteria. We're not a Miami or USC that has such built-in advantages that we can field consistently great teams while being way behind on these things. Last time we were great, it coincided with the Dal Ward project.

Seriously video boards and scoreboard are that important? Recruits want great facilities (i.e. indoor practice facility, expanded weight room, etc) Video boards and a scoreboard isn't going to attract new recruits.

When was the last time you were at Folsom? The video boards are awful. Negligible effect on recruiting, but an absolute necessity at this point. No reason Folsom needs to look small time.

When was the last time you were at Folsom? The video boards are awful. Negligible effect on recruiting, but an absolute necessity at this point. No reason Folsom needs to look small time.

I´ve never seen Godzillatron up close, but you can´t tell me that monster doesn´t leave an impression on recruits. Is the scoreboard alone gonna make guys come to CU? Doubtful, but every single bit that impresses recruits helps.

I´ve never seen Godzillatron up close, but you can´t tell me that monster doesn´t leave an impression on recruits. Is the scoreboard alone gonna make guys come to CU? Doubtful, but every single bit that impresses recruits helps.

The important impact for recruits, as you said, is to make sure we don't look "small time" when compared to our competition.

I think the bigger issue here is fan experience on gameday. We need to realize that we are competing with the Broncos for the entertainment dollars of football fans in the Denver metro area. We need to deliver the college football product (that has a lot of advantages versus the NFL product) in a way that makes CU the better value to consumers. That means having the nice video boards, good sound system, nice bathrooms, more parking, and better concessions (beer would help a lot).

USC 2002. Yeah I know its been awhile.

Jimmy, we had random, large black squares on the boards that didn't show their part of the image last season. They've already far exceeded the life the manufacturer predicted and we're on borrowed time here.

The important impact for recruits, as you said, is to make sure we don't look "small time" when compared to our competition.

I think the bigger issue here is fan experience on gameday. We need to realize that we are competing with the Broncos for the entertainment dollars of football fans in the Denver metro area. We need to deliver the college football product (that has a lot of advantages versus the NFL product) in a way that makes CU the better value to consumers. That means having the nice video boards, good sound system, nice bathrooms, more parking, and better concessions (beer would help a lot).

Yeah I guess. I just think we need to work on the facilities angle more. It is vital to start upgrading like today.

We have been through this before. It is a waste of money that could be going elsewhere. Big meets would warrant really nice track facilities, but those meets are not coming to Boulder.

I agree that track improvements don't need to be done for meets (at least at the level of Arkansas), but they sure need to be done for the elite runners that we try to attract to our school, especially now that we're in the PAC-12. If improved track practice facilities can be incorporated into multi-sport use, I think that would be an excellent use of money.

I do want to mention that I'm all for the football improvements first though.

I believe that with Benson raising $1.5 billion for funding of academic facility upgrades focused on the East Campus, that forces relocation of some athletics facilities from that site. Therefore, we have some facility money coming in from that source already. When I see what was able to get done with the Basketball & Volleyball practice facility for under $20 million, I'm confident that we have the revenue streams coming in to make a lot of exciting things happen with facilities going forward.

Sounds good and I didn't know that. If we have cash, then I of course agree that the faster the better

I believe that Title IX issues are in play when we're talking about facility upgrades, too.

A practice facility just used for football is likely a problem. If it's multi-use and its main stated purpose is for T&F and CC to have their own home & training rooms as well as a place for T&F meets during the indoor season, then it's a net positive from the Title IX perspective since we have more women than men in those sports.

I believe that with Benson raising $1.5 billion for funding of academic facility upgrades focused on the East Campus, that forces relocation of some athletics facilities from that site. Therefore, we have some facility money coming in from that source already. When I see what was able to get done with the Basketball & Volleyball practice facility for under $20 million, I'm confident that we have the revenue streams coming in to make a lot of exciting things happen with facilities going forward.

You make a good point. The AD has not been doing nothing as the new BB/VB facility is top notch and badly needed. I also think we have the coach now where we are going to see MBB start to take off, meaning that we may start seeing more overall revenue in athletics instead of just from football. The next major project does need to be football though.

Dont they have meetings where alums and boosters can voice these things about video boards, practice facilities, etc? Id think at least having plans in place or working on that would be a good idea.

CU campus is already lacking in space. I don't see us fitting a Indoor Practice Facility anywhere unless we blow something up. Hellems and Ketchum would be a nice start

CU campus is already lacking in space. I don't see us fitting a Indoor Practice Facility anywhere unless we blow something up. Hellems and Ketchum would be a nice start

There is a plan to turn the waste management facility north of Folsom into a parking structure with a practice facility on the roof.

Don't think that's going to happen. CU could though use all of Franklin Field and wrap it around to the Dal Ward and make the raised portion a parking area. Dunno but good look cool if it linked with Folsom on two sides.

Don't think that's going to happen. CU could though use all of Franklin Field and wrap it around to the Dal Ward and make the raised portion a parking area. Dunno but good look cool if it linked with Folsom on two sides.

Bad idea thats where I tailgate ****er!

Back