What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Post-game/Offseason thread

This is what I am saying. I don't want tad fired. I want something to change. Better recruiting, better game day coaching.

Since you liked my post, let me very clear...you and I are on WAY different wavelengths about the issue it seems. Provide fair criticisms to Tad, but you, if memory serves correctly, overdo it with your tone and some of your critiques don't seem fair. The reason that us fans can even complain about wanting better recruiting, coaching, etc. is because Tad has raised the bar (props to Bz as well imo). I offer that you keep that in mind when you bitch about Tad - no he is not an all-time legend, but I think he can be our Bo Ryan if you will (not talking about style of play)...and I'll gladly take that. K, Izzo, Bennett, Cal, etc are few and far between.

Out of anyone, I bet you that he wants to improve himself the most. I'm still psst at the game, but it was a good team and season...

are you functionally all there?
Yes, Alford's recruiting is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tad's.

Absinthe brought up UCLA, I said I'd take his recruiting over Tad's, you said I was wrong.

I guess you like 3*s better than 5*s. Not sure why. Last 3 years class average is 12th. We don't scratch 50th.

You are wrong, not me.

Who, despite all that talent sat at home this morning?

Darth was stating that, given the prestige of the program, UCLA should be recruiting at that level. Given the prestige of our program, Tad is recruiting above our level. You missed the point. As usual.
No, Darth said he wasn't recruiting where he should be given their prestige. They are, he just isn't doing anything with it.

I never said I wanted him as a coach, I said I wanted his recruiting.

Imagine Tad's game planning with Alford's recruiting. Maybe add in some gameday coaching.

Since you liked my post, let me very clear...you and I are on WAY different wavelengths about the issue it seems. Provide fair criticisms to Tad, but you, if memory serves correctly, overdo it with your tone and some of your critiques don't seem fair. The reason that us fans can even complain about wanting better recruiting, coaching, etc. is because Tad has raised the bar (props to Bz as well imo). I offer that you keep that in mind when you bitch about Tad - no he is not an all-time legend, but I think he can be our Bo Ryan if you will (not talking about style of play)...and I'll gladly take that. K, Izzo, Bennett, Cal, etc are few and far between.

Out of anyone, I bet you that he wants to improve himself the most. I'm still psst at the game, but it was a good team and season...
I don't sugar coat things, if that upsets people, I'm sorry. I don't want tad gone. I want him to change some things and hire better assistants. Recruiters would be nice, as well.

We've got new facilities, been on this amazing run, and the best recruits we can get are 2 3* players with NO major offers. People throw McIntyre under the bus for exactly the same thing, and he hasn't had 4/5 years of tournament runs under his belt.

Why are people loathe to say this shouldn't be as good as we can be?

Yeah, I'd sure hate to have the #4 class, 2 5*s and a 4* in this current class. Sure is some subpar, non-prestige level recruiting going on there.

Who was wrong?

I think you replied to the wrong poster.

If you want to discuss Alford I am happy too my wife graduated from UCLA and i am close enough to understand a lot of what is going on with that program and it isn't good. He has a nice class this year assuming he can hold and develop them which he hasn't really shown the ability to do. Most Alford's early success came with Howland's players, he took over a team that had won 25 games, won 28 games, then 22, then 15. He has both the advantage and disadvantage of coaching at and recruiting to a school has the most NCAA championships in history, yet he has not lived up to his predecessor's standard and each season has gotten progressively worse. This year UCLA had their worst season in over a decade, the talk is that he's losing players, and if it wasn't for a really bad contract he likely would have lost his job this year, baring a turn around to 20+ W's Ncaa next year(CU levels of success) he will certainly be done the next time his buyout steps down (they'd have to pay almost 7 million to fire him today).

So yes if you want to talk UCLA i am happy to, things are not good there they probably should have kept Howland, and yes I'd rather have Boyle.

Last edited:
I think you replied to the wrong poster.

If you want to discuss Alford I am happy too my wife graduated from UCLA and i am close enough to understand a lot of what is going on with that program and it isn't good. He has a nice class this year assuming he can hold and develop them which he hasn't really shown the ability to do. Most Alford's early success came with Howland's players, he took over a team that had won 25 games, won 28 games, then 22, then 15. He has both the advantage and disadvantage of coaching at and recruiting to a school has the most NCAA championships in history, yet he has not lived up to his predecessor's standard and each season has gotten progressively worse. This year UCLA had their worst season in over a decade, the talk is that he's losing players, and if it wasn't for a really bad contract he liekly would have lost his job this year, baring a turn around (20+ W's Ncaa next year) he will certainly be done the next time his buyout steps down (they'd have to pay almost 7 million to fire him today).

So yes if you want to talk UCLA i am happy to, things are not good there they probably should have kept Howland, and yes I'd rather have Boyle.
May have, getting jumped on by 3 different people for having an opinion.

And to restate, I DO NOT WANT TAD FIRED.

I DO NOT WANT ALFORD

I would take Alford's recruits. (he did take several FROM us, if I remember correctly)

All in all, I couldn't care less about UCLA unless CU is playing them. I did not make the original comparison.

Suggestion: have clearer, narrower, and less bombastic opinions. Stop stating opinions as fact.

Throw bombs, and you are going to get blown up. Simple as that.

Any talk of Boyle being fired is obviously absurd given where this program has come from and now we've been to the tourney 4 of the last 5 years. The tournament has always been one of my favorite sporting events of the year and I could only imagine how much more fun it would be if CU could just get in the damm thing. Now they're getting in on a regular basis and that's great, but at the same time more than 1 win would be nice too, so it's kind of bittersweet. As has been noted, Tad is has done a great job but is also not above criticism.

Oddly enough the 1 game we won was our lowest seed over this recent stretch and we were oh so close from breaking that lengthy Sweet 16 drought. Aside from the debacle 2 years ago we certainly haven't underachieved in this tournament. Our last 4 seeds were 11, 10, 8, 8

Any talk of Boyle being fired is obviously absurd given where this program has come from and now we've been to the tourney 4 of the last 5 years. The tournament has always been one of my favorite sporting events of the year and I could only imagine how much more fun it would be if CU could just get in the damm thing. Now they're getting in on a regular basis and that's great, but at the same time more than 1 win would be nice too, so it's kind of bittersweet. As has been noted, Tad is has done a great job but is also not above criticism.

Oddly enough the 1 game we won was our lowest seed over this recent stretch and we were oh so close from breaking that lengthy Sweet 16 drought. Aside from the debacle 2 years ago we certainly haven't underachieved in this tournament. Our last 4 seeds were 11, 10, 8, 8

One interesting thing in the data set is that all 4 years we danced we lost the same number of games: 11

Suggestion: have clearer, narrower, and less bombastic opinions. Stop stating opinions as fact.

Less bombastic . . .

When you take the respective prestige levels of the programs into account, Tad's recruiting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alfords. Next thing you want to be wrong about?

Got it

Tad is getting better talent to Boulder than we gave ever seen. For decades, Colorado got bottom-level Big 8 and Big 12 talent, with a few blips along the way. Brett Brady would have competed for significant playing time on many CU teams pre-Tad.

Colorado is now getting players that can compete at the high D1 level. Let's not kid ourselves and believe that we are getting blue-chippers or a class full of NCAA tournament-ready prospects every year, however.

CU is now successfully recruiting NIT level players with a J40 or a Spencer evey few years.

Players like Dre, Wes, King, and even to a certain extent, Scott, have developed into very good, or great college basketball players. They did not come to Boulder as can't miss prospects. Someone had to aid their development. With this level if athelete, you end up wit a Jhop just as often, unfortunately.

Let's just not act like Tad has been given the keys to a Ferrari and he doesn't know how to drive it. He was given the keys to a Yugo and he's hanging in against Mustangs and Camaros and beats a Moserati from time to time.

I am a little disappointed that CU has plateaued a little, but this is borne of expectations created by Tad himself and not some historic expectation. Unfortunately, improvement is not often linear. I wish that needle would keep moving higher, but I'm happy, if not satisfied with the state if the program.

I think we'll see something really great from this team within the next few years, and I'm going to try to enjoy this NCAA tourney ride in the meantime.

Anybody care to talk about real s*** for next yr?

"our game plan wasn't necessarily to take the threes unless they were given to us" - Tad Boyle

14th in 3P% & 250th in overall FG%. We only attempted 10 3's. King was 1-2 on 3's. He's a 45% 3 shooter for the year. There's no excuse for not putting King in position to shoot more 3's. There's no Scott next year. There's no reason to not emphasize the 3 ball next year. 188th in 3P attempts when you're elite from 3 is inexcusable. This is where the game of basketball has evolved: 3 point shooting wins. We have it. We also have 2 guys who are really good offensive rebounders coming back. I'm afraid we've plateaued if Tad Boyle doesn't get this right next year.

"our game plan wasn't necessarily to take the threes unless they were given to us" - Tad Boyle

I take this more to mean don't jack up threes just to jack up threes. I think it's very clear that the shooters had the green light to take open jumpers... far too often guys passed up good looks. I mean this in general for the season, not so much the UConn game. UConn is a very good defensive team that had an obvious game plan of taking away the 3 for the Buffs. I love the 3 ball, but if you build your attack upon jacking up 3s, you're gonna have even more of a roller coaster ride. There's only one Golden State.

Tad is getting better talent to Boulder than we gave ever seen. For decades, Colorado got bottom-level Big 8 and Big 12 talent, with a few blips along the way. Brett Brady would have competed for significant playing time on many CU teams pre-Tad.

Colorado is now getting players that can compete at the high D1 level. Let's not kid ourselves and believe that we are getting blue-chippers or a class full of NCAA tournament-ready prospects every year, however.

CU is now successfully recruiting NIT level players with a J40 or a Spencer evey few years.

Players like Dre, Wes, King, and even to a certain extent, Scott, have developed into very good, or great college basketball players. They did not come to Boulder as can't miss prospects. Someone had to aid their development. With this level if athelete, you end up wit a Jhop just as often, unfortunately.

Let's just not act like Tad has been given the keys to a Ferrari and he doesn't know how to drive it. He was given the keys to a Yugo and he's hanging in against Mustangs and Camaros and beats a Moserati from time to time.

I am a little disappointed that CU has plateaued a little, but this is borne of expectations created by Tad himself and not some historic expectation. Unfortunately, improvement is not often linear. I wish that needle would keep moving higher, but I'm happy, if not satisfied with the state if the program.

I think we'll see something really great from this team within the next few years, and I'm going to try to enjoy this NCAA tourney ride in the meantime.

This is ****ing phenomenal.

As for next year, I'm giddy. I've been consistent in saying college hoops is a guards game. To be honest our guards sucked this year. Jelly was wasted. I'm still #TeamDom and think Yaz is going to be a damn good backup for this team but adding Peters and White is HUGE. There is a chance that not one of our starting guards starts next year. If the XJ coming back talk is true, we could conceivably roll out a lineup of:

* Dom / Yaz
* White/ Fortune
* Peters / Fletch
* XJ / King
* Wes / Miller

If Dom gets his fouling under control, that lineup is beyond stupid. If he doesn't, White or Peters runs he point, King or Fletch gets the starting nod and Dom & Yaz battle for the backup spot. This is a good thing.

This team has Sweet 16 potential.

Very disappointed after the game today. Not so much with the loss, but with how the Buffs lost.

Being up by 11 and then being down by as much as 13 is more than just a run and it was every bit as bad as the first half against Pitt two years ago. During that stretch the team didn't show much and the body language got poor. That being said, they did pull it together and this group of kids didn't quit and I feel good about that (Against Pitt the team flat out quit). Plus, if we are honest, if CU had just hit free throws at their normal pace early in the game, the outcome would have been much different.

Unlike many of you I think Tad did a really good job of coaching this year. This team quite clearly over achieved. It should be obvious to everyone that in perhaps all but one or two games this year, the other team had a more athletic and usually more skilled PG than anyone CU could put on the floor (Yes even Fort Lewis as much as that hurts to say). No offense to the guys playing that position, but they just couldn't keep up. Unlike, Goose, I am not still on board with Dom. I think he could be a nice backup to spell a real starter, but he just isn't athletically gifted enough to be a D1 starting PG. Further, CU was often in a similar place with 2's that were quick. Considering this, it took a great coaching job to even get this team in the upper half of the PAC, let alone to the tourney. Of course, my argument also says something about a problem recruiting, both losing close recruiting battles and in some cases picking the wrong guy when another would have committed to you.

Josh Scott will be greatly missed, but if CU can find someone to athletically match up as a starter at point, then next year could be amazing. Here is to hoping that Peters can be that solution (not a 2 or a 3, but a PG) and that White can be a great scoring threat at the 2. Regardless, I am left convinced that if Boyle can bring in an assistant who is a strong recruiter, the Buffs are in VERY capable hands.

For **** sake, snow! Not this **** again.

* Dom / Yaz
* White/ Fortune
* Peters / Fletch
* XJ / King
* Wes / Miller

Or something like:

* Collier or Peters / Yaz
* White / Fortune / Peters
* King / Fletch
* XJ / Miller / King
* Gordon / Miller

PS I'm giving up on the name "Dom" it doesn't work. Going with "Collier" for now.

I take this more to mean don't jack up threes just to jack up threes. I think it's very clear that the shooters had the green light to take open jumpers... far too often guys passed up good looks. I mean this in general for the season, not so much the UConn game. UConn is a very good defensive team that had an obvious game plan of taking away the 3 for the Buffs. I love the 3 ball, but if you build your attack upon jacking up 3s, you're gonna have even more of a roller coaster ride. There's only one Golden State.

14th in 3P%, 250th in FG%. You have to play to your strengths & the offensive rebounders are there. You're happy with King only having two 3 pt attempts in the most important game of the year when he's 45% for the season & 1 of 2 in the game?

"they're fourth in the country in field goal percentage defense and we wanted to attack them inside" - Tad Boyle

UConn is 4th in overall FG% defense & 82nd in 3P% defense. UConn had 8 blocks at the rim. We only attempted 10 3's. Considering the Buffs ability from 3 all year & their vast inability to finish at the rim, I'm perplexed by how Tad Boyle came to this game plan even while acknowledging the stats.

Last edited:
14th in 3P%, 250th in FG%. You have to play to your strengths & the offensive rebounders are there. You're happy with King only having two 3 pt attempts in the most important game of the year when he's 45% for the season & 1 of 2 in the game?
Where in the hell did I say I was happy? Reading comprehension is hard, isn't it? I'm sure Tad came into this game saying, "George, I want you to only shoot 2 threes."
Other teams don't have scouting reports or anything. Damn.

It's true though, Tad needs to be more flexible with his coaching style to match next season's player dynamic. Rebounding won't be the same, pace won't be the same, defense won't be the same. Tadball just won't cut it without J40, we have very few big men next year.

Agree completely. The reason CU shot nearly 40% from three this season is not because they had a stable of long range sharpshooters/gunners. It's because most were uncontested quality shots converted by decent three point shooters. I'd be surprised if they converted better than 25% of contested 3 pointers.

Losing Billups may be a blessing in disguise. Dom has been linked to Rodney since Middle school and it may be time for a change?

I just think there's somewhat of a consensus that our overall PG play is an area for improvement and has been since Spencer went down. In Goose' preview above, I don't see a lot of PG help.

The 2015 season was such a disappointment for reasons of team chemistry, on top of bad play.

The 2016 season was so much more fun. Other than the roadies at Cal and UDub, CU held a lead or was in the running in each game. The addition of Torrey and Akyazili and return of GMFK made this team fun to watch. Three point shooting was as good as it's been in the Boyle era. The U of A game in Boulder was the most fun game to watch since beating KU.

I'm much happier to see people complaining about talent levels instead of team chemistry. Sure CU needs a guard who is a playmaker. This was not a championship team (of the P12, P12 tourney, NCAA). But the athletic display was entertaining and they (mostly) took care of business at home.

Getting to the big dance again was the consolation prize. Being one-and-done sucks. But it's a better result than the NIT, and it's a hell of a lot better outing than that hot mess against Pitt a couple years back.

This was Tad's 3rd most fun season in Boulder. I can't wait to see what next season has in store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or something like:

* Collier or Peters / Yaz
* White / Fortune / Peters
* King / Fletch
* XJ / Miller / King
* Gordon / Miller

PS I'm giving up on the name "Dom" it doesn't work. Going with "Collier" for now.

I like it. I know people want us to get another big but outside of Arizona, not a lot of teams have two bigs like we did with Josh & Wes. Going smaller gives us flexibility and versatility. We may struggle a touch on D, but with Tad I'm willing to take that chance. If XJ is playing the 4, the rebounding won't drop off as much as people think. In '15, XJ had a higher DReb % than Josh did. And King's overall DReb % this year was only 12%, but it really seemed to pick up over the last month (need to try to find the numbers on this).

And I really think opening up the paint for Wes will end well. He had some nice moves in the paint today.

Did anyone else here flash back to J.J. Flannigan v. the Huskers after that last Fortune steal/turnover?

Hope...elation...sudden despair...disbelief...**** NO!

Back