What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado sent Jadaveon Clowney $1 million Ralphie Bucks

Found this in an old story: "Instead of sending envelopes with the school logo to prospects who receive dozens of similar pieces of mail each week, CU sent small, black cardboard boxes about the size of a standard pizza box."
"Intrigued recruits opened the box to find it filled with a pile of hundreds of business cards designed to resemble $100 and $500 bills. A message inside the box told recruits the money totaled $333,000, equal to the value of an education at CU."

So they must have sent Clowney 3 of them.

Found this in an old story: "Instead of sending envelopes with the school logo to prospects who receive dozens of similar pieces of mail each week, CU sent small, black cardboard boxes about the size of a standard pizza box."
"Intrigued recruits opened the box to find it filled with a pile of hundreds of business cards designed to resemble $100 and $500 bills. A message inside the box told recruits the money totaled $333,000, equal to the value of an education at CU."

So they must have sent Clowney 3 of them.

That makes it sound so much better. But $333k for a degree? Are they including med school?

Given that CU doesn't have a program in Sport Management, which provides a natural pipeline for undergraduates and grad students to gain valuable experience in an AD, my guess is that student involvement in the athletic department is minimal at best (filling the bare minimum of needs) when compared to other major universities...I'd be interested to hear from any current students though on this topic to see if my suspicion is correct...

There is a Business of Sports program, but I am not sure exactly WTF it is.

What's a CU degree go for these days? I would have never been accepted. True story.

I'm proud of the way Hawkins handled that. Who among you haven't gone after a top 5 recruit in NCAA '14 that you had no business going after? I commend the effort and am glad the dude was trying to make inroads with the nation's best recruit. No need for any embarrassment whatsoever. Hopefully our current coach is also attempting to woo top players here with some memorable correspondence.

So I can unframe my degree and trade it for $333,000? Sweet, I could use some cash....where do I go for the deal?

We did something in recruiting that made a down CU get noticed by the nation's #1 recruit and our competitors for his signature. It wasn't an NCAA violation. I'm proud of Hawkins on this one.

Agreed the kid still remembers it TODAY, it worked.

Back