What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado @ Stanford GameDay thread

Rewatching the game and hear a lot of CU band and CU fight song/fans.

A big cheers to those that traveled to the game!

Post game just after "fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!"
image.jpeg Just got home with a head full of thoughts and memories:

- Bruce Benson stood at the entry of the CU tailgate party and was the first to great each and every Buff fan to walk through the gate of the rugby field. Leadership of The Rise starts at the very top. It was a fantastic gesture for the university president to be so available and invested in this event.

- The CU pre game tailgate - biggest out of state CU event I've ever witnessed. The Buffs took ownership of a fenced in rugby pitch as big as Franklin Field. I heard 900 fans pre-registered. More walk-up guests joined in. The northern cal alumni and the AD went all in with the band, cheerleaders, freebies that include beads and "beat Stanford" stickers, a CU gift shop stand to pick up that clear CU branded stadium bag and other gear, there were dozens of tables with umbrellas, the giant inflated buffalo, and a 100+ -yard long balloon scupture overhead that stretched the length of the festivities. Entry was free, but Burgers and drinks were available for a price. Good place to meet up with friends and talk about our good fortunes. The environment was called Boulder West. Or in tech language, Boulder's UAT beta campus. (Not Boulder 2.0 because that implies an upgrade) "Anybody run into any Stanford fans yet?"

- Stanford campus - at 5:30AM on Friday I was at the outdoor swimming complex. The temp was in the high 50's. Stanford's Olympic caliber swimmers numbering around 30 were under the lights doing laps while coaches yelled instructions from poolside. Props to the commitment on display. The rest of the campus was asleep, except for the garbage trucks and a wild jack rabbits . The school is well manicured and more spread out than the Boulder campus. It has a county club feel with a Royal palm lined opening drive, a cloistered main area modeled on European universities with outdoor walkways framed in arches. The sculptures of French sculptor August Rodin are featured, including two masterpieces such as the Burgers of Calais and The Gates of Hell. Buying expensive European art treasures and putting them on display is a Texas Oil Tycoon maneuver. The iconic tower at the center of campus is a tribute to president Herbert Hoover. It's a presidential library and institute. I can understand how a Stanford grad would claim that it's the nicest campus in the country. But it lacks the drama of Boulder's mountain views and changing seasons. The saying goes, spend some of your life in San Francisco, but not so long as to make you soft. It's a place to get soft, if you can afford it. But contrary to the idealized reputation, the streets are not made of gold. There is a "temporary" mobile building that looked like it had been there a while to house some administrative function. It reminded me of how a local public school uses mobiles on the lot behind the original building for more square footage. A school so wealthy with a mobile was as out of place as the on-campus Subway Sandwitch and Panda Express franchises. I walked about 11-miles during my exploration of the campus and saw most of it. The farm is big.

- Athletic complex - all the various sports facilities except golf are right in the same vicinity. The volume and density of athletic fields and stadiums for track, tennis, swimming, water polo, basketball, plus all the rest makes it an impressive quasi-Olympic training facility and Learfield Director's cup machine. One Stanford booster said that out of about 8,000 undergraduates, there are about 800 athletes on Stanford teams. Their football players have a lot longer walk from the weight room to the practice field to the stadium than CU does. Also don't bother to check out the stadium outside of gameday. The perimeter fence might as well be a castle wall. There isn't a way to sneek a peek at the field from the outside. Excellent RV and tailgate area on the east side.

- Palo Alto - traffic snarled up on the roads around campus non-stop. The 1BR, 1 bath 610 sq ft AirBnB cottage I stayed in, a few blocks away from the famous garage where Hewlett Packard was born, listed on Zillow with a 2014 sales price of $5,000,000. I figure the bathtub alone represented about $385,000 of real-estate value. Palo Alto property seems only to be in reach of Silicon Valley dot-com billionaires. I pity the parents who seek affordable room and board for their Stanford scholar within walking distance of the school. The neighborhood around the university is not particularly fancy nor filled with gorgeous homes. It's just expensive. Uber and Uber Eats make a lot of sense in this community because it's easier for someone else to deal with food and parking than trying to do it yourself.

- Stanford fans - lots of older alums back for homecoming. Lots of late arrivals. Lots of early departures. The CU fans didn't outnumber Stanford, but we were certainly more spirited. I wasn't met with any hostility. No profanity. The prevailing sentiment was tolerance and modest welcomes. Not much smack talk nor respect shown before and after. I was surprised by how loudly the Stanford fans were booing their own offensive play calling. For homecoming, a number of mascot alumni put on their respective tree costumes and dorked around. The stupid mascot convention was in full bloom. The band and the trees hung out for 30 minutes after the game and rocked out in the near empty stadium. The CU band walked over to the corner where the Stanford band was located and spent 10 minutes dancing and goofing off together. No bad blood. Just young people from two Pac12 bands mixing it up and having fun.

Good times. With so much on the line for CU's coming out/potential Cinderella season, I feel blessed to have been at the right Buff place at the Buff right time. WTTF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great summary, skid.

I'm kicking myself for not going out there. Thing is, Saturday was my BIL's 60'th birthday, so we probably would not have been able to go anyway.

Great summary, skid.

I'm kicking myself for not going out there. Thing is, Saturday was my BIL's 60'th birthday, so we probably would not have been able to go anyway.
wow. I'm 100% sure that never in my life did an in-law's birthday affect any football plans of mine.

you're either a great husband or a great brother, or both.

wow. I'm 100% sure that never in my life did an in-law's birthday affect any football plans of mine.

you're either a great husband or a great brother, or both.
It's my sisters husband, who owns the house we would be staying at.

But contrary to the idealized reputation, the streets are not made of gold. There is a "temporary" mobile building that looked like it had been there a while to house some administrative function. It reminded me of how a local public school uses mobiles on the lot behind the original building for more square footage. A school so wealthy with a mobile was as out of place as the on-campus Subway Sandwitch and Panda Express franchises.

It is insane how much wealthier Stanford is than the rest of the conference. Here's how the schools rank in size of the Endowment fund:

1. Stanford: $21.5B

2. USC: $4.5B
3. Washington: $2.8B
4. UCLA: $1.9B
5. Cal: $1.5B
6. CU: $1.06B
7. Utah: $1.02B
8. Wazzu: $868M
9. Arizona: $761M
10. Oregon: $627M
11. ASU: $626M
12. OSU: $511M

in other words, Stanford's endowment: $21.5B; rest of conference (combined): $16.3B.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12_Conference

Last edited:
View attachment 21234 Just got home with a head full of thoughts and memories:

- Bruce Benson stood at the entry of the CU tailgate party and was the first to great each and every Buff fan to walk through the gate of the rugby field. Leadership of The Rise starts at the very top. It was a fantastic gesture for the university president to be so available and invested in this event.

- The CU pre game tailgate - biggest out of state CU event I've ever witnessed. The Buffs took ownership of a fenced in rugby pitch as big as Franklin Field. I heard 900 fans pre-registered. More walk-up guests joined in. The northern cal alumni and the AD went all in with the band, cheerleaders, freebies that include beads and "beat Stanford" stickers, a CU gift shop stand to pick up that clear CU branded stadium bag and other gear, there were dozens of tables with umbrellas, the giant inflated buffalo, and a 100+ -yard long balloon scupture overhead that stretched the length of the festivities. Entry was free, but Burgers and drinks were available for a price. Good place to meet up with friends and talk about our good fortunes. The environment was called Boulder West. Or in tech language, Boulder's UAT beta campus. (Not Boulder 2.0 because that implies an upgrade) "Anybody run into any Stanford fans yet?"

- Stanford campus - at 5:30AM on Friday I was at the outdoor swimming complex. The temp was in the high 50's. Stanford's Olympic caliber swimmers numbering around 30 were under the lights doing laps while coaches yelled instructions from poolside. Props to the commitment on display. The rest of the campus was asleep, except for the garbage trucks and a wild jack rabbits . The school is well manicured and more spread out than the Boulder campus. It has a county club feel with a Royal palm lined opening drive, a cloistered main area modeled on European universities with outdoor walkways framed in arches. The sculptures of French sculptor August Rodin are featured, including two masterpieces such as the Burgers of Calais and The Gates of Hell. Buying expensive European art treasures and putting them on display is a Texas Oil Tycoon maneuver. The iconic tower at the center of campus is a tribute to president Herbert Hoover. It's a presidential library and institute. I can understand how a Stanford grad would claim that it's the nicest campus in the country. But it lacks the drama of Boulder's mountain views and changing seasons. The saying goes, spend some of your life in San Francisco, but not so long as to make you soft. It's a place to get soft, if you can afford it. But contrary to the idealized reputation, the streets are not made of gold. There is a "temporary" mobile building that looked like it had been there a while to house some administrative function. It reminded me of how a local public school uses mobiles on the lot behind the original building for more square footage. A school so wealthy with a mobile was as out of place as the on-campus Subway Sandwitch and Panda Express franchises. I walked about 11-miles during my exploration of the campus and saw most of it. The farm is big.

- Athletic complex - all the various sports facilities except golf are right in the same vicinity. The volume and density of athletic fields and stadiums for track, tennis, swimming, water polo, basketball, plus all the rest makes it an impressive quasi-Olympic training facility and Learfield Director's cup machine. One Stanford booster said that out of about 8,000 undergraduates, there are about 800 athletes on Stanford teams. Their football players have a lot longer walk from the weight room to the practice field to the stadium than CU does. Also don't bother to check out the stadium outside of gameday. The perimeter fence might as well be a castle wall. There isn't a way to sneek a peek at the field from the outside. Excellent RV and tailgate area on the east side.

- Palo Alto - traffic snarled up on the roads around campus non-stop. The 1BR, 1 bath 610 sq ft AirBnB cottage I stayed in, a few blocks away from the famous garage where Hewlett Packard was born, listed on Zillow with a 2014 sales price of $5,000,000. I figure the bathtub alone represented about $385,000 of real-estate value. Palo Alto property seens only to be in reach of Silicon Valley dot-com billionaires. I pity the parents who seek affordable room and board for their Stanford scholar within walking distance of the school. The neighborhood around the university is not particularly fancy or filled with gorgeous homes. It's just expensive. Uber and Uber Eats make a lot of sense in this community because it's easier for someone else to deal with food and parking than trying to do it yourself.

- Stanford fans - lots of older alums back for homecoming. Lots of late arrivals. Lots of early departures. The CU fans didn't outnumber Stanford, but we were certainly more spirited. I wasn't met with any hostility. No profanity. The prevailing sentiment was tolerance and modest welcomes. Not much smack talk nor respect show before or after. I was surprised by how loudly the Stanford fans were booing their own offensive play calling. For homecoming, a number of mascot alumni put on their respective tree costumes and dorked around. The stupid mascot convention was in full bloom. The band and the trees hung out for 30 minutes after the game and rocked out in the near empty stadium. The CU band walked over to the corner where the Stanford band was located and spent 10 minutes dancing and goofing off together. No bad blood. Just young people from two Pac12 bands mixing it up and having fun.

Good times. With so much on the line for CU's coming out/potential Cinderella season, I feel blessed to have been at the right Buff place at the Buff right time. WTTF.
Question.....as a result of last weekend, are you no longer in the camp of Stanford haters?

Was a great weekend. Just got back from some of the best wine country in the world following a great Buffs Win! I would go back to Stanford again and again. Stopped on the way out of the game by several Stanford alum and they could not say enough nice things about the way the Buffs played (except the kicking) and shared beers with us. Also spend a great evening at the Dutch Goose at a table eating devil eggs, drinking beer, watching football and the Cubs finish the Dodgers. Great extended weekend and look forward to going out again.

Here's a picture of Manhattan...Kansas.
maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment 21234 Just got home with a head full of thoughts and memories:

- Palo Alto - traffic snarled up on the roads around campus non-stop. The 1BR, 1 bath 610 sq ft AirBnB cottage I stayed in, a few blocks away from the famous garage where Hewlett Packard was born, listed on Zillow with a 2014 sales price of $5,000,000. I figure the bathtub alone represented about $385,000 of real-estate value. Palo Alto property seems only to be in reach of Silicon Valley dot-com billionaires. I pity the parents who seek affordable room and board for their Stanford scholar within walking distance of the school. The neighborhood around the university is not particularly fancy nor filled with gorgeous homes. It's just expensive. Uber and Uber Eats make a lot of sense in this community because it's easier for someone else to deal with food and parking than trying to do it yourself.

- Stanford fans - lots of older alums back for homecoming. Lots of late arrivals. Lots of early departures. The CU fans didn't outnumber Stanford, but we were certainly more spirited. I wasn't met with any hostility. No profanity. The prevailing sentiment was tolerance and modest welcomes. Not much smack talk nor respect shown before and after. I was surprised by how loudly the Stanford fans were booing their own offensive play calling. For homecoming, a number of mascot alumni put on their respective tree costumes and dorked around. The stupid mascot convention was in full bloom. The band and the trees hung out for 30 minutes after the game and rocked out in the near empty stadium. The CU band walked over to the corner where the Stanford band was located and spent 10 minutes dancing and goofing off together. No bad blood. Just young people from two Pac12 bands mixing it up and having fun.

Attended the game as well. CU fans way louder then Stanford . Tree costumes were terrible . Battle of the bands was fun after the game, my family and I stayed to watch. Went out to eat after with family many congrats from Stanford fans at the restaurant. very enjoyably day.

i had fun and i didn't have to bury skiddy in an unmarked grade in an orchard 80 miles east of palo alto.

it is a very pretty campus and a great school, with all the best of everything. the best of the best. it made crashing the party so much better. my kid and i found the tailgate by following the noise. i knew it couldn't be any stanford fans.

Go Buffs.

My son and his buds spent 4 days in San Fran and attended the game. When he got back I asked him how it was and he said, "I don't remember."

Last edited:
My son and his buds spent 4 days I. San Fran and attended the game. When he got back I asked him how it was and he said, "I don't remember."
The most memorable road trips I took with my buds were the ones I don't remember.

Sounds like they had a great time.

The most memorable road trips I took with my buds were the ones I don't remember.

Sounds like they had a great time.
It would have been perfect without the word "road", but I see what you did there. Rep.

Did you see where the dude got arrested in the tree costume?? funny ****. It was in Maine, but still.

tree_1477345630191_6613843_ver1.0.PNG
tree26n-4-web.jpg

My son and his buds spent 4 days in San Fran and attended the game. When he got back I asked him how it was and he said, "I don't remember."
I will never understand this. Nothing wrong with imbibing some cocktails/beer and having a good time, but if you can't remember what is the point? I love to remember the experience of a Colorado game and especially an amazing win. Yay Beer!! Wooo!

Okay that is enough high horse for me today.

I will never understand this. Nothing wrong with imbibing some cocktails/beer and having a good time, but if you can't remember what is the point? I love to remember the experience of a Colorado game and especially an amazing win. Yay Beer!! Wooo!

I was joking. Sort of.

Last edited:

Ruggedvision negreps this post.

Back