What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado To Take On Ohio State In 2011 If They Can Complete The Move To The Pac-10 Ne

CU doesn't need any extra attention in SEPTEMBER.

CU needs attention in DECEMBER. This team needs to be practicing in DECEMBER so recruits see the football team IN ACTION, so this team returns to bowl games, etc.

this.. Unfortunately most around here are still stuck in the mid 90's thinking a tough non-conference schedule means something.

this.. Unfortunately most around here are still stuck in the mid 90's thinking a tough non-conference schedule means something.

Opening with a tough non-conference opponent and winning did vault Alabama back to national prominence.

I've been pretty clear that I'm against over-scheduling. Going to the Pac-12 with 9 conference games and the CSU neutral game on our schedule every year, I want 1 patsy and 1 non-conference BCS opponent. In 2011, we have CSU + Hawaii and Fresno State. Since we get the 13th game option for making the trip to Honolulu, I think it's a great opportunity to add a marquee BCS team to the mix. We should still enter conference play at 3-1. But we'll now get some national exposure, get a nice payday, and have a chance for a signature win that vaults us solidly into the top 25. Plus it give fans and players a big game to look forward to. I'd be against this if we already had someone like LSU on the non-con next year, but we don't.

Opening with a tough non-conference opponent and winning did vault Alabama back to national prominence.

I've been pretty clear that I'm against over-scheduling. Going to the Pac-12 with 9 conference games and the CSU neutral game on our schedule every year, I want 1 patsy and 1 non-conference BCS opponent. In 2011, we have CSU + Hawaii and Fresno State. Since we get the 13th game option for making the trip to Honolulu, I think it's a great opportunity to add a marquee BCS team to the mix. We should still enter conference play at 3-1. But we'll now get some national exposure, get a nice payday, and have a chance for a signature win that vaults us solidly into the top 25. Plus it give fans and players a big game to look forward to. I'd be against this if we already had someone like LSU on the non-con next year, but we don't.

Did you see the non-conference schedule Alabama played last year?

edit: turns out my post not exactly correct. need to look somethings up.

carry on....

Last edited:

You are the one stuck in the 90's. CU played tough non-conference schedules before the 90's

I don't see any other "big boys" playing a one game away with no return game against any other national power. Teams like San Diego State, San Jose State, Northern Colorado do that stuff. I guess we are on that level now.

There's alot of big boys that probably wouldn't schedule a return game or only do a 2-for-1 against us, in fact Michigan did that very thing in the 90's, and that was when we were at our height. Just as there are quite a few teams like a UNC where we wouldn't schedule a return trip to their place. This hardly puts on the level of SDSU, UNC, etc. It's all relative.

Another factor here is that we're probably just looking to fill a 1-game void in our schedule for next next year with the Pac-10 move requiring the schedule to be juggled around.

Man up people, all things being equal we'd lose to whatever crappy team you want us to play, so we might as well get $2 million out of it and be on TV.

Man up people, all things being equal we'd lose to whatever crappy team you want us to play, so we might as well get $2 million out of it and be on TV.

This.

Our situation next year will be as follows: A) we still have Hawkins, who managed to save his ass via smoke and mirrors, for another year. B) we have a brand new coach, with a new set of assistants, a new scheme, etc.

In either case, we're screwed. Might as well take the $2MM and do some good with it.

Colorado-Ohio State: Shades of OU-Notre Dame

Posted by berrytramel
on August 16, 2010M at 12:11 am

When I read that Colorado has agreed to play a one-game series with Ohio State, in 2011 in Columbus, Ohio, my first thought was this: Gee, the Buffs really are hard up for money.

You just don’t see major programs like Colorado, even programs that have fallen on hard times, playing a guarantee game, like they’re Louisiana-Monroe or North Texas or somebody.

But Oklahoma did it, no so very long ago. In 1999, the Sooners played Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., in a game that was billed a 2-for-1 but in reality was a freebie for the Fighting Irish. Eventually, OU and Notre Dame agreed to a home-and-home series (2012 in Norman, 2013 in South Bend), but that 1999 game was independent of the looming contract.

The Sooners went to Notre Dame in 1999 for prestige reasons and for money reasons. OU sought the spotlight in a decade in which it fell from the elite level of college football, and the Sooner athletic department was mired in a dept that reached $14 million.

So while it looks bad for Colorado to lose its pride and not even get a return game for going to Ohio State, sometimes you have to make unpleasant decisions.

More...

Back