What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado & Utah To The Pac10 ? hmm ?

We already had this off-season thread. Come back next year.

I'd be really pissed off if this happened.

:nod: Not until those ****ers fix their ****ing TV contract. Also, talk about a bad time for us to be negotiating for a new conference. no bargaining power at all.

Why is everyone so sour on this idea? The Pac 10's TV contract is expiring and will be reworked. Our alumni, students, image, etc. are more aligned with the West Coast than the Big 12. I like the idea of the move and think it will happen in the next few years.

:nod: Not until those ****ers fix their ****ing TV contract. Also, talk about a bad time for us to be negotiating for a new conference. no bargaining power at all.

That's a Chicken-and-Egg argument. By inviting CU (& Utah) THEN the Pac Ten can capitalize during TV negotiations. TV networks won't give them the $ with a "hope" that they will expand. They want TV markets up front.

I actually think we have TREMENDOUS bargaining power right now. With the Big 12 already under pressure from potential Big Ten expansion, now the Pac Ten rumors, CU can and should leverage that for better revenue sharing, TV exposure, etc. etc.

The conference brass, and school presidents don't put as much stock in the current W-L record as you do. They look at market demographics, growth rates, tuition opportunities, etc.

That's a Chicken-and-Egg argument. By inviting CU (& Utah) THEN the Pac Ten can capitalize during TV negotiations. TV networks won't give them the $ with a "hope" that they will expand. They want TV markets up front.

I actually think we have TREMENDOUS bargaining power right now. With the Big 12 already under pressure from potential Big Ten expansion, now the Pac Ten rumors, CU can and should leverage that for better revenue sharing, TV exposure, etc. etc.

The conference brass, and school presidents don't put as much stock in the current W-L record as you do. They look at market demographics, growth rates, tuition opportunities, etc.

So you are saying CU is like that super hot rich girl who got fat over the winter, but not too fat, and guys are hitting on it s banking on the fact that we will either lose the fat or be a sweet sugar momma?

Why is everyone so sour on this idea? The Pac 10's TV contract is expiring and will be reworked. Our alumni, students, image, etc. are more aligned with the West Coast than the Big 12. I like the idea of the move and think it will happen in the next few years.
How does our university fit in with the Pac 10? I guess the Cali kids are all over this, but for someone like myself who grew up in Boulder, I don't see it.

It would be a very sad day to see Colorado leave the Big 12.

I hope it's true. I'm coming around to the idea that this would be a good thing. Geographically, it's kinda stupid. But at least if Utah is in the conference with us, we'll have another school in the same time zone as we are.

I think it will help recruiting, as the West Coast kids will still be in the Pac 10, and the Texas kids will not be far from home and they can get the great road trips as opposed to visiting such garden spots as Lincoln and stoolwater.

If the money is right, I'm 100% behind it. Damn the torpedoes, FULL SPEED AHEAD. Pac 10 (12) here we come!!!!!

Also we are different in the big 12 and bring something different to the confrence. For all those that say we fit in more in the Pac 10, what do we bring in terms of being special? Not talking about TV markets, etc. More talking about image, alumni etc. Also like to add born and raised in Colorado so I don't see why it is so great to move.

I think it will help recruiting, as the West Coast kids will still be in the Pac 10, and the Texas kids will not be far from home and they can get the great road trips as opposed to visiting such garden spots as Lincoln and stoolwater.
How would changing a conference help our recruiting? :lol: Maybe I missed some sarcasm in your post.

Cause CA kids love CO. And we don't recruit TX anymore.
Then why do they bail out back to CA after they graduate? :lol:

I really don't have any issues with the CA kids. I just don't see any of them reaching into their wallets just because we change conferences. A move to the PAC 10 would be a step down.

I really don't have any issues with the CA kids. I just don't see any of them reaching into their wallets just because we change conferences. A move to the PAC 10 would be a step down.

i think sackman was trying to say playing in the pac10 would attract more kids from cali because that gives them one more game to go home and see momma, maybe more. and they will be playing in a conference they grew up watching probably more than others. who knows if it would work...

Don't think you are being fair to the pac 10 here. They have more history then the big XII.

Also, which game will have more CU alums at it? A game in LA or a game in Austin (to name the premier cities in either conference).

CA alums never see the team unless they travel. More exposure to the team will lead to more open wallets.

Not to mention a championship game outside of TX would be a lot more fun.

Ultimately, the best thing for recruiting is winning. However, if we make the assumption that once again we are winning, I think the affiliation with the Pac 10 would be more beneficial in terms of recruiting than the Big 12 is. I do not view it as a step down. I view it as a step up, so long as the money is right. We don't make this move unless it means a BUTTLOAD more money for the AD.

Ultimately, the best thing for recruiting is winning. However, if we make the assumption that once again we are winning, I think the affiliation with the Pac 10 would be more beneficial in terms of recruiting than the Big 12 is. I do not view it as a step down. I view it as a step up, so long as the money is right. We don't make this move unless it means a BUTTLOAD more money for the AD.
I see it as moving the university from beautiful Boulder, to Longmont. :puke:

KIDDING! Just kidding Sacky.

Last edited:
I see it as moving the university from beautiful Boulder, to Longmont. :puke:

If Boulder keeps messing with them, they might do just that.

OK, probably not, but you get the picture. The Big 12 is weighted heavily in favor of the Texas Schools, UT in particular. I suppose the Pac 10 could be equally weighted to the California Schools, but there seems to be a lot more parity in the Pac 10 than there is in the Big 12. USC, for all it's success in football, isn't the complete king of that conference in every sport the way UT is in the Big 12.

So you are saying CU is like that super hot rich girl who got fat over the winter, but not too fat, and guys are hitting on it s banking on the fact that we will either lose the fat or be a sweet sugar momma?

That analogy sucks, cuz we are getting ****ed either way!

But yeah....sounds about right!

Yes please! Then I can see some games in person! The only CU game I've ever been to was the USC game in the coliseum.

I'm not sure how much it will really help.. Will more alums randomly decide to open up their checkbooks? I guess it seems reasonable. Will we suddenly recruit the west coast better? A little I think, it seems like a lot of west coast kids have a thing for the Pac 10. I think it would hurt out Texas recruiting, though.

I hope it's true. I'm coming around to the idea that this would be a good thing. Geographically, it's kinda stupid. But at least if Utah is in the conference with us, we'll have another school in the same time zone as we are.

If the money is right, I'm 100% behind it. Damn the torpedoes, FULL SPEED AHEAD. Pac 10 (12) here we come!!!!!

Well, right now we have no teams in the Big12 in our time zone. Geographically, the Pac12 wouldn't be all that much different than what we are dealing with right now. I don't think any of our sports teams take a bus or anything other than a plane to get to away games. With moving to the Pac12 this would still be the same but you would probably be on the plane for an average of about 30 minutes longer. In the grand scheme, not that big of a deal.

For me CU needs to jump on this and make it happen no matter what. The Big 12 has become way too texas-centric. Would you rather play the conference championship games in Dallas/Houston every year or in the Rose Bowl?

maybe its me, but i think the "better roadtrips for fans" argument is a bit shallow in the big picture. i also think its vastly overstated how going to Tucson or Eugene is going to be a longterm (note longterm) draw for people who don't currently make roadies. once the novelty wears off.

on balance, i don't have much preference either way with the Big XII/Pac 10 though i can't think of a time in CU sport in my lifetime when we could be less attractive to the Pac.

i'd be willing to put some credence to the rumors if this wasn't 18millionth off-season this topic has appeared. also, if Irv Brown is the source.....eh? i respect Irv and what he's done for college sports and CU but if he's putting this on the radio from a reliable source either its his job to leak it or he's alienated himself from the "source" by outing the info. neither seem real likely to me. but, i've been wrong before.

Last edited:
Rabbit's question is valid - if there are more alum's in socal, will it mean an increase in donations? Perhaps, and one the AD is prolly already chewing on as we speak. I have a feeling the travel distance monster will rear its ugly head again. The socal teams have a fairly short jaunt to nocal and to AZ; the nocal teams to socal and Oregano. UO & OSU are in reasonable proximity to the Wash schools; Utah and Colorado would have pretty healthy trips 4-5 times a year. Another question - are the Utes and their fanbase ready to give up the rivalry with BYU? Yeah, they could play OOC (like us and the lammies), but after being in the same conference, would it have the same meaning? Don't know.

This

We would fit in better with the Pac 10, **** the pussy ass big 12

I'd vote no on this.. F the Pac 10.

How does our university fit in with the Pac 10? I guess the Cali kids are all over this, but for someone like myself who grew up in Boulder, I don't see it.

It would be a very sad day to see Colorado leave the Big 12.

I don't understand either why so many CU fans always seem to be thrilled about the idea of going to the Pac-10. Colorado is not a west coast state and would be nearly 1000 miles from the closest school. If we were in the MWC or a BCS conference like the ACC or Big East then I'd see it as a step up, but we're in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences now anyway.

why would we ever leave arguably the 1st or 2nd best football and basketball conference. It's dumb....if we could figure out how to get a solid football coach and a product on the field and get some basketball players with skills to match our basketball coach...we would be ROLLING in money.

Back