What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado & Utah To The Pac10 ? hmm ?

I don't get the travel snobbery. To much emphasis is put on "geography". Football is football. Tailgaiting with buff fans is all good no matter what the setting might be. Hotel rooms and restaurants in Lawrence look a lot like hotels in the Pac10 cities. When you are drinking beers and grilling burgers and having a good time, does the topography make all that much difference? When you are in the stadium cheering on the Buffs, it's great from Manhattan to Morgantown.

Speaking of which, the West Virginia game was on a Thursday night and I'm guessing that over 1,500 Buffs fans managed the mid week trip. It's just a question of priorities. Are you going for the football, or is the extracurricular trip to the amusement park what is really important here?

That's fine for the football purists and die hards, but back in reality destination matters. If I'm going to load the kids up to go to a game, having a side trip to Disneyland or Fisherman's Wharf, or attending a game where it's 70 degrees in December makes a huge difference compared to going to a December in Ames Iowa.

Also with this move I would think we wouldnt see anymore 930 or 1030 start times which will make tailgating even better.:thumbsup:

We would have an advantage in oct nov games as well with cold temps and possible snow.

I have many many friends from CU in California. I have some in NV. I have some in OR. I have none in Any big xii state that is not texas.

And you know what? I want to go to LA. To San Fran/Oakland... hell, I have friends in UT.

You go for the game, you go AGAIN for the **** to do.

Last edited:
and there is potential for a good nasty rivalry with utah, too. i guess it was a rivalry way back in the olden days.

but, i could see that game turning into something especially intense again.

and there is potential for a good nasty rivalry with utah, too. i guess it was a rivalry way back in the olden days.

**** Utah. I ****ing hate that state (except for Moab and its skiing and its women) already... :smile2:

Man, that would chap some lammie asses.

They do have one thing in common with our most hated rival: the color red. Don't think it would take too long to get nasty. :smile2:

i see my ironic turn of a phrase is lost on the likes of you.

fine. be that way. :rofl:

as for the buyout, it would have to get fronted by the money from the new tv contract i would expect. gah. i told myself not to get my hopes up on this again. burned waaaay too many times...

:lol:Is an "ironic turn of a phrase" a euphemism for being ****ing wrong? I learn something new every day.

Another thing to consider is the effect this would have on the Boulder community for home games. Not to get all un-PC here, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that on average a traveling USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford fan is going to spend more money while in Boulder than your average KSU, ISU, KU, or Mizzou fan.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of a move...which means it almost certainly won't happen.

Another thing to consider is the effect this would have on the Boulder community for home games. Not to get all un-PC here, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that on average a traveling USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford fan is going to spend more money while in Boulder than your average KSU, ISU, KU, or Mizzou fan.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of a move...which means it almost certainly won't happen.

not to mention the fact that most of our out of state students come from california... now their friends and families will show up more often for games...

the sheep may come out of this ok... they could land in the suddenly desperate big 12 as it seeks replacements for CU and mizzery.

The Pac 10 could use them as leverage against as well, but I dont see CSU delivering the Denver market.

I don't get the travel snobbery. To much emphasis is put on "geography". Football is football. Tailgaiting with buff fans is all good no matter what the setting might be. Hotel rooms and restaurants in Lawrence look a lot like hotels in the Pac10 cities. When you are drinking beers and grilling burgers and having a good time, does the topography make all that much difference? When you are in the stadium cheering on the Buffs, it's great from Manhattan to Morgantown.

Speaking of which, the West Virginia game was on a Thursday night and I'm guessing that over 1,500 Buffs fans managed the mid week trip. It's just a question of priorities. Are you going for the football, or is the extracurricular trip to the amusement park what is really important here?

You might want to consider finding an NFL team.

@dh3...

not worried about them trying to leverage CU v. the sheep... more worried about byu or if they can connect on a grand-slam like texas or something (which would be very unlikely but deadly to the b12).

the sheep don't have the stadium, the number of sports, the budget, or the alumni to make it work. and, academically, while they are respectable, they'd be in the bottom 4th of the conference and they don't have the research or grad school pedigree that the p10 will want (altho they are a very good state school).

@skid...

dude, i get the personal fan experience was cool because you were one of a handful of Buffs not related to coaches or players in attendance... but, being one of a couple dozen CU fans at a conference game doesn't help the program, ya know?

the only thing i'd miss is the fusker rivalry in football. it is a good one and worth saving.

You hit the nail on the head. Being unrelated to the team members and/or coaches in Lubnutt put me in the minority. So going to the steakhouse with that group was simply an ultimate Buff experience that was simply shocking.

It doesn't help the program in a broad sense. But I guarantee that that experience helps me stay a fan during the rough patches. When the product on the field sucks, it's compensated by getting the unfiltered inside view that I don't have access to in Folsom. And it isn't a one-off experience, either. I have stories about meeting Ashley Ambrose and CJ and Cabral in Lawrence, shooting the **** with Kyle Ringo in Stillwater and running into some of my very best friends and meeting other kindred spirits along the way. This is what being a CU fan is all about.

Besides, it's clear that I'm just internet sCUm or some cranky fan when I shoot my mouth off here, or write a letter of displeasure to the CUAD. Those gestures don't help the program either.

At the end of the day it's not important whether or not my attendence helps the program. CU has to win fans one person at a time. It's these B12 road trips that fuel my rabid enthusiasm that first intoxicated me as an undergrad.

I would embrace the change to the Pac 10, too. Because the variety of new locations would only add to experience.

@dh3...

not worried about them trying to leverage CU v. the sheep... more worried about byu or if they can connect on a grand-slam like texas or something (which would be very unlikely but deadly to the b12).

the sheep don't have the stadium, the number of sports, the budget, or the alumni to make it work. and, academically, while they are respectable, they'd be in the bottom 4th of the conference and they don't have the research or grad school pedigree that the p10 will want (altho they are a very good state school).

I think BYU is as big of a stretch as CSU, they may want to keep the in state rivalries model they have but why double down in Utah as stated in one of the articles above.

I am probably getting too excited about this but really CU is in a win/win situation here.

:wtf:

How can it be a longer drive from Boulder to Tempe than Boulder to Tucson, which is pretty much due south of Tempe? Oregon and OSU are exactly the same distance, and both are farther away than UW, which is all the way on the pacific coast and farther away from Boulder on a north/south basis? It's a shorter drive to USC and UCLA (again, about as far west as you can go, and a big drop to the south) than either Oregon school??

Something seems very strange with those numbers... :huh:

Colin Cowturd is a ridiculous moron. The man prides himself on his lack of knowledge of actual sports....

take a look at a map and get back to me. reno nevada is farther west than L.A.

I'm drinking at work again.... :smile2:

If I wanted to take a look at a map, don't you think I would have damn well looked at a map before I said all that???? This place is no fun anymore.... :lol:

I'm drinking at work again.... :smile2:

If I wanted to take a look at a map, don't you think I would have damn well looked at a map before I said all that???? This place is no fun anymore.... :lol:

anytime you leave me the slightest chance to make you look like an idot, i take it. :smile2:

All I know is that CU wins fans one person at a time. The road trips have fueled my enthusiasm that first intoxicated me as an undergrad.

I'm actually okay with a switch to the Pac10. The variety would make this journey as a Buff fan all that more rewarding. I'm not real big on going back to Manhattan or College Station anyway.

Besides, the CU admin don't really give Internet scum like myself much of a voice and zero responsibility/accountability for the program. This is why the "but skiddy, it's not about you" arguement is laughable. Those guys in the bunker don't care what we think is good for the program anyway. They do their thing. I'll do mine. We meet in the middle 12 or 14 days in the fall.

This was posted over on Rivals, but here's a good read on PAC 10 expansion:

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2010/2/10/1304100/eastward-ho-pac-10-expansion-will

@ liver

BYU can't join the pac10 due to some religious restrictions in the pac10's mission statement.

Whether it's because of Pac-10 bylaws or Sunday scheduling and BYUs own restrictions, I think they're a very serious longshot. Add in the fact that if the Pac-10 added BYU and Utah they would add the #33 TV market (SLC) and, well, nothing, whereas if they added CU they get a top 30 market AND the #33 market, and I think the odds of a Utah/BYU combo happening are virtually nil.

So maybe the question should be, if Utah decides that their rivalry with BYU is too important (traditionally, polotically or whatever) to abandon, where would the Pac-10 turn next? Boise? SDSU?

EDIT: Looking at the article Scotchy linked in the quote above, it does a pretty good job of debunking Boise and SDSU based on academics and adding nothing to a TV deal. Same with Fresno and San Jose St. When the best alternatives they can come up with are New Mexico and CSU (and CSU only if CU isn't already going), it seems like Utah and CU have a hell of a lot of leverage here. They would be very wise to find out what value a Pac-12 would have to ABC/ESPiN or to some other network, then look to land a nice chunk of that additional revenue in return for making this happen...

Whether it's because of Pac-10 bylaws or Sunday scheduling and BYUs own restrictions, I think they're a very serious longshot. Add in the fact that if the Pac-10 added BYU and Utah they would add the #33 TV market (SLC) and, well, nothing, whereas if they added CU they get a top 30 market AND the #33 market, and I think the odds of a Utah/BYU combo happening are virtually nil.

So maybe the question should be, if Utah decides that their rivalry with BYU is too important (traditionally, polotically or whatever) to abandon, where would the Pac-10 turn next? Boise? SDSU?
no ****ing way UT turns down the Pac 10. If they do, their regents should be SHOT. I mean, the amt of money they would make from the sswitch is ridiculous.

no ****ing way UT turns down the Pac 10. If they do, their regents should be SHOT. I mean, the amt of money they would make from the sswitch is ridiculous.

They have before and why leave a conference that they have all to themselves?

Back