What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2 probably pisses me off the most. CU needs to do that combat layup drill. I forgot what it was called. Basically, you go in for a layup, get the hell fouled out of you and try to finish. Sounds stupid but it works. I'd still like us to run and press more but #1 kinda ****s that up.
I think we all owe ourselves a round of applause. There were multiple photos of the husky and then this post from Luke, and not a single one of us has used the word "rapey". Seriously, well done. I'm very, very proud of how grown up we've become.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I think we all owe ourselves a round of applause. There were multiple photos of the husky and then this post from Luke, and not a single one of us has used the word "rapey". Seriously, well done. I'm very, very proud of how grown up we've become.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

All I know is that when I saw those beautiful, deep, smokey blue eyes on that Husky mascot my first thought was to get out the peanut butter. But I'm now a mature 35, so I kept that to myself.

All I know is that when I saw those beautiful, deep, smokey blue eyes on that Husky mascot my first thought was to get out the peanut butter. But I'm now a mature 35, so I kept that to myself.
A husky like that doesn't wait for peanut butter.

The most frustrating thing about this year's CU team is how close to being great it is.

I mean, think about the 2 areas that hold it back vs what we do very well.

We've got a great post scorer. We've got great 3pt shooters (and a lot of them). We've got rebounding that has owned teams like Arizona. We've got guys that get to the line and a team shooting over 73% on FTs. We've got a great defense, both inside and out. That's a recipe that every program in the nation aspires to.

What holds the team back in games or stretches of games?

1. Not valuing the basketball on the way to 15+ turnovers.
2. Inability to make a ****ing bunny 2pt basket inside 8 feet.

It's mind bottling that this team has struggled so much on what should be basic things. I think what's at the root of both of those things is that the guards and wings aren't good passers off the bounce. So it puts an even bigger premium on playing inside-out because Josh and Wes are actually damn good passers out of the post and they get open shots for everyone via the "hockey assist" of the pass that sets up the assist pass (or they score themselves if no double team comes).

Agree with everything but also think there's more. We don't attempt enough 3's. We've been a top 20 3P% team all year and yet we're 188th in 3 point attempts. Like you said, our guards/wings are not great playmakers for each other. If a team is elite in offensive rebounding & 3 point shooting but poor on 2's & lacking a perimeter player who can create for others then we should be attempting way more 3's. Obviously, it has to be within the rhythm of the offense but I've seen guys pass up so many open 3's this year it's painful

The other main issue is that Dom & Akyazili sometimes let their emotions get the best of them in key situations. They let turnovers lead to silly fouls in the last 5 minutes of games when composure is crucial.

A husky like that doesn't wait for peanut butter.

husky-eating-peanut-butter-o.gif

You guys shot FTs like a top third NBA team this year. Approaching 80% for a college team is ridiculously good.

Your theory on what the refs call dovetails with something I've believed for a while about how CU games get officiated, but haven't wanted to say because it probably sounds too homerish on officiating. But here goes. Tad coaches a very straight up man defense where the emphasis is on challenging everything without fouling. On offense, Josh Scott is a very fundamentally strong post player whose game draws a lot of fouls. Taken together, that is going to give CU an advantage on FTAs in most games.

My theory is that refs like to even things up, especially on the road. So, while another part of Tad's offensive philosophy is to attack the rim, this CU team is not getting foul calls on that as often as opponents. And, since Josh Scott draws some type of contact on every shot, they're only giving him the calls when he gets absolutely mugged to avoid blowing the whistle every trip. In short, I think CU has been hurt by officiating not calling things straight or even in an effort to not make the foul situation too lopsided... and that results in a lot of plays where CU players get hit on layups with no call while the same type of contact is called a foul on the other end. (And damn if that doesn't read as too homerish.:D )

I think you nailed it about refs and fouls. That's one reason the Buffs miss so many lay-ups: They go in hard to the hoop, thinking they'll get mugged and need to force up a hard shot or simply be fouled. It was noticeable CU gets fewer traditional 3 pt. plays, since their lay-ups are always too strong.

UConn fan here with my take.

First, unlike 1999, 2004, 2009,2011 & 2014 - I don't feel like UConn is a potential National Champion. In those years, I either felt like UConn was either the best team in every game or had the best player.

As good as Hamilton and Adams can be, I think they are a year away from being that good. It's just too much to ask for a Sophmore and Freshman. Next year, I'm thinking NC contender.

That being said, if we are fortunate enough to get past Colorado, I think we could give KS (or anyone in the field) a tight game.

When you look at this year's UConn team, it all starts with defense. This team plays close to elite D.

From y reading on here; I think you overestimate how much Brimah is responsible for that. During the stretch he was out, we had several games in a row where we held our opponents to under 40% shooting. KenPom had us at the #4 adjusted D in the country when Brimah came back. We've slipped a bit since then, but KenPom still has us at #13.

We play mostly (but not exclusively) man D and are pretty good at turning the other team over. Sometimes, Hamilton loses his man and allows open 3's, but he seems to be curing that issue. In general, our guards won't give you much space, you won't be getting many uncontested shots, but you will likely get our bigs into foul trouble. We do have a few big bodies to run it so you'll have to hit FT's to take advantage of that. Teams just seem to have bad shooting days against us :)

Our best offense comes from pushing the ball after turnovers and rebounds. Hamilton is our best defensive rebounder (he has a knack for it) and is also the guy we want leading the break. He'll pull down a rebound and push it.

In the halfcourt, the offense will also run through Hamilton as well. He is a very talented passer - especially to Brimah on ally-oop passes. Purvis and Gibbs are good 3 point shooters and senior Miller is very efficient on the low block. We sometimes struggle to get good looks and force stuff towards the end of the shot clock.

The X-Factor is Jalen Adams. He is a freshman and plays like it at times, but he is special. As UConn fans, we've been lucky to have guards like Kemba, Shabazz, and Ben Gordon in the past. I have no doubt Adams is as talented as that group. High praise indeed.

He can get into the paint at will (like Kemba as a frosh) and finishes around the basket. He is also a playmaker. Against Temple (AAC regular season champ) in the conference tourney, he had eight assists and only one turnover. He was a good shooter in HS but has only shown that in the last couple of weeks. He struggled from 3 earlier.

Overall, I think we are pretty evenly matched, and this game could be a coin flip. I give UConn a bit of an edge because I think they are confident right now, and Ollie seems to have March Magic as a coach.

After what CU did to Arizona on the boards in the 2nd half on Thursday, their confidence should be high in that department. Key to this matchup is winning the rebound battle, which I think we can do. Need King to be on his A game when it comes to attacking the glass.

uconn fans >>>>>> illinois fans
It's not even close. They may not be funny, but but our UConn guests are informed and appear to be sincerely friendly. All-in-all, probably the most respectful guests I remember visiting our board.

It's a real blue blood program without any of the Arizona insecurities.

I'm looking forward to the game. And as a card-carrying furry, I'll add that their mascot had better watch his ass. Turnabout is fair play!

UConn fan here with my take.

First, unlike 1999, 2004, 2009,2011 & 2014 - I don't feel like UConn is a potential National Champion. In those years, I either felt like UConn was either the best team in every game or had the best player.

As good as Hamilton and Adams can be, I think they are a year away from being that good. It's just too much to ask for a Sophmore and Freshman. Next year, I'm thinking NC contender.

That being said, if we are fortunate enough to get past Colorado, I think we could give KS (or anyone in the field) a tight game.

When you look at this year's UConn team, it all starts with defense. This team plays close to elite D.

From y reading on here; I think you overestimate how much Brimah is responsible for that. During the stretch he was out, we had several games in a row where we held our opponents to under 40% shooting. KenPom had us at the #4 adjusted D in the country when Brimah came back. We've slipped a bit since then, but KenPom still has us at #13.

We play mostly (but not exclusively) man D and are pretty good at turning the other team over. Sometimes, Hamilton loses his man and allows open 3's, but he seems to be curing that issue. In general, our guards won't give you much space, you won't be getting many uncontested shots, but you will likely get our bigs into foul trouble. We do have a few big bodies to run it so you'll have to hit FT's to take advantage of that. Teams just seem to have bad shooting days against us :)

Our best offense comes from pushing the ball after turnovers and rebounds. Hamilton is our best defensive rebounder (he has a knack for it) and is also the guy we want leading the break. He'll pull down a rebound and push it.

In the halfcourt, the offense will also run through Hamilton as well. He is a very talented passer - especially to Brimah on ally-oop passes. Purvis and Gibbs are good 3 point shooters and senior Miller is very efficient on the low block. We sometimes struggle to get good looks and force stuff towards the end of the shot clock.

The X-Factor is Jalen Adams. He is a freshman and plays like it at times, but he is special. As UConn fans, we've been lucky to have guards like Kemba, Shabazz, and Ben Gordon in the past. I have no doubt Adams is as talented as that group. High praise indeed.

He can get into the paint at will (like Kemba as a frosh) and finishes around the basket. He is also a playmaker. Against Temple (AAC regular season champ) in the conference tourney, he had eight assists and only one turnover. He was a good shooter in HS but has only shown that in the last couple of weeks. He struggled from 3 earlier.

Overall, I think we are pretty evenly matched, and this game could be a coin flip. I give UConn a bit of an edge because I think they are confident right now, and Ollie seems to have March Magic as a coach.

Allsome post and welcome.

This D battle is going to be insane. Honestly, I give the edge to UCONN, not only are they better at D (although it is close - only 13 spots separate the two teams), but they have an offense that isn't as dysfunctional as ours. Ultimately though, I really think that the thing it comes down to is pace. Who wins that battle? Will UCONN slow it down enough to muddy the game and turn it in to a slugfest? If so, I'm not sure we have the counterpunchers to take that on. If CU can run though and get a few easy buckets in transition, we could steal this one.

Can we just agree that whomever wins this game needs to beat the ever loving **** out of Kansas?

Loving the UConn fans who have visited. Basketball IQ and an interest in engaging in actual basketball talk. At first I thought we only got the good ones to visit, but I checked out one of their message boards and it's pretty consistently high level.

I wish more fans of elite programs understood what UConn fans seem to. When you've won 4 national championships since 1999, you don't have a need to build yourself up by running juvenile smack at Colorado (or any) fans. It's nice to just talk basketball with opposing fans who know the game. If the Buffs lose on Thursday, I'll have no trouble rooting hard for UConn to whip Kansas.

Loving the UConn fans who have visited. Basketball IQ and an interest in engaging in actual basketball talk. At first I thought we only got the good ones to visit, but I checked out one of their message boards and it's pretty consistently high level.

I wish more fans of elite programs understood what UConn fans seem to. When you've won 4 national championships since 1999, you don't have a need to build yourself up by running juvenile smack at Colorado (or any) fans. It's nice to just talk basketball with opposing fans who know the game. If the Buffs lose on Thursday, I'll have no trouble rooting hard for UConn to whip Kansas.

**** Kansas.

Allsome post and welcome.

This D battle is going to be insane. Honestly, I give the edge to UCONN, not only are they better at D (although it is close - only 13 spots separate the two teams), but they have an offense that isn't as dysfunctional as ours. Ultimately though, I really think that the thing it comes down to is pace. Who wins that battle? Will UCONN slow it down enough to muddy the game and turn it in to a slugfest? If so, I'm not sure we have the counterpunchers to take that on. If CU can run though and get a few easy buckets in transition, we could steal this one.

Can we just agree that whomever wins this game needs to beat the ever loving **** out of Kansas?

We can agree on the Kansas take. That's an easy one.

What worries me is that UConn will get the game into a disjointed half court game and that they'll be much better than CU at capitalizing on the other team's offensive mistakes and their defensive wins by turning those into instant offense out of transition. If we see a game in the 60s with UConn getting some easy offense from steals or quick outlet passes, the Buffs are in serious trouble.

The comments about CU's turnover issues sound like a good thing for UConn (well, obviously for any opponent), but UConn in particular because it lets us avoid the halfcourt issues. I expect every long rebound and liveball turnover to become a fast break.

Don't get too worried though because a lot of those fast breaks end in missed layups.

If we don't get a transition basket we typically end up in danger of a shot clock violation. I'll put the over/under on shot clock violations at... 3.5.

The comments about CU's turnover issues sound like a good thing for UConn (well, obviously for any opponent), but UConn in particular because it lets us avoid the halfcourt issues. I expect every long rebound and liveball turnover to become a fast break.

Don't get too worried though because a lot of those fast breaks end in missed layups.

If we don't get a transition basket we typically end up in danger of a shot clock violation. I'll put the over/under on shot clock violations at... 3.5.

My God, it's like looking in the mirror.

My God, it's like looking in the mirror.

If CU takes care of the ball reasonably well (let's say 12 TOs) and everything else goes to chalk, this game should come down to which team has a player or two step up and make contested jump shots.

If CU takes care of the ball reasonably well (let's say 12 TOs) and everything else goes to chalk, this game should come down to which team has a player or two step up and make contested jump shots.
And if we can inbound the ball...

We can agree on the Kansas take. That's an easy one.

What worries me is that UConn will get the game into a disjointed half court game and that they'll be much better than CU at capitalizing on the other team's offensive mistakes and their defensive wins by turning those into instant offense out of transition. If we see a game in the 60s with UConn getting some easy offense from steals or quick outlet passes, the Buffs are in serious trouble.

Adams is a one man fast break. He has that Kemba-like quality in the open court.

Purvis is fast and athletic but struggles completing the play.

Adams is a one man fast break. He has that Kemba-like quality in the open court.

Purvis is fast and athletic but struggles completing the play.

You really consider yourselves NC contenders next year? To me, I'm eyeing Arizona, Kentucky, and Duke. I hadn't given UConn a ton of thought in that regards, but I've been a big fan of Purvis since HS and like your team. It'll be interesting to watch them close-up on Thursday, as opposed to in passing like I did during conf tournaments.

Nice initial post.

I don't know about national title contenders, but the trajectory is upward for next year. The core of Hamilton, Purvis, Brimah, and Adams returns, along with a recruiting class full of 4-stars (and one more slot to possibly fill with a 5-star who could reclass).

You really consider yourselves NC contenders next year? To me, I'm eyeing Arizona, Kentucky, and Duke. I hadn't given UConn a ton of thought in that regards, but I've been a big fan of Purvis since HS and like your team. It'll be interesting to watch them close-up on Thursday, as opposed to in passing like I did during conf tournaments.

Nice initial post.

We UConn

Nice initial post.

They lose very little unless Hamilton declares (likely top 10 pick, so likely will). Monster recruiting class coming in and a good VCU transfer eligible next year. They'll have a lot of punch added at the forward positions that they're kind of missing this season. Definitely a contender next season even with the expected loss of Hamilton.

Here's more meaningless trivia:

Huskies coach Kevin Ollie is obviously a Jim Calhoun protege who played at UConn back in the mid-90's. Without googling the answer... who is the other head coach in this year's field who is former UConn player under Jim Calhoun?
I know, but then I watched him play quite a bit.

I've always actually really liked the UConn mascot guy. I dunno why, I guess I just like his goofy look.

jonathan2.jpg

Huge point of disagreement among UConn fans, many of which prefer the all white husky. As far as the real dog goes, we still have both, the last all white one is semi-retired.

They lose very little unless Hamilton declares (likely top 10 pick, so likely will). Monster recruiting class coming in and a good VCU transfer eligible next year. They'll have a lot of punch added at the forward positions that they're kind of missing this season. Definitely a contender next season even with the expected loss of Hamilton.

We would be surprised if Hamilton leaves. It would take a huge run and Most Outstanding Player type performance in this tournament, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back