What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would be surprised if Hamilton leaves. It would take a huge run and Most Outstanding Player type performance in this tournament, I think.

Wow. Well, if he does decide to return then you guys are probably one of my preseason Final Four picks for next season.

Allsome post and welcome.

This D battle is going to be insane. Honestly, I give the edge to UCONN, not only are they better at D (although it is close - only 13 spots separate the two teams), but they have an offense that isn't as dysfunctional as ours. Ultimately though, I really think that the thing it comes down to is pace. Who wins that battle? Will UCONN slow it down enough to muddy the game and turn it in to a slugfest? If so, I'm not sure we have the counterpunchers to take that on. If CU can run though and get a few easy buckets in transition, we could steal this one.

Can we just agree that whomever wins this game needs to beat the ever loving **** out of Kansas?

Normally I would be down for that, but since I went to law school at KU (with a few CU grads), I don't want both my schools out by Saturday night. Always liked Colorado football though, back to the Bill McCartney and Darian Hagan days.

By the way, none of us on the UConn side are expecting Hamilton to enter to draft. Maybe we are wrong.

They lose very little unless Hamilton declares (likely top 10 pick, so likely will). Monster recruiting class coming in and a good VCU transfer eligible next year. They'll have a lot of punch added at the forward positions that they're kind of missing this season. Definitely a contender next season even with the expected loss of Hamilton.

While I fully admit to not having watched UConn closely, I would disagree that Hamilton is a likely top 10 pick. I think it would require just what TransientUConnFan said. Draft mocks are of course not exact and very fluid pre/post tournament, but I have yet to see Hamilton's name come up. And while UConn has a good class coming in, UA, UK, and Duke have really been killing it for next season. Of course, all three lose more than UConn apparently will, so will be fun to see them play Thursday and next season.

DraftExpress currently has him as the 52nd pick in the 2017 draft.

I hadn't looked recently (typical of my very casual interest in the NBA). Pre-season stuff last summer had him in the 1st round and potential lottery. If that has slipped to the 2nd, he's likely to come back I would think.

While I fully admit to not having watched UConn closely, I would disagree that Hamilton is a likely top 10 pick. I think it would require just what TransientUConnFan said. Draft mocks are of course not exact and very fluid pre/post tournament, but I have yet to see Hamilton's name come up. And while UConn has a good class coming in, UA, UK, and Duke have really been killing it for next season. Of course, all three lose more than UConn apparently will, so will be fun to see them play Thursday and next season.

Yeah. UConn basically has to replace about 6 points, a rebound and an assist per game from its seniors (maybe 20 minutes of court time).

A quick breakdown of the UConn players and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Sterling Gibbs- great Catch and Shoot player with a steady handle. When he is just bringing the ball up and taking catch and shoot threes he is his most effective. He can drive a little bit but struggles to finish around the rim.

Jalen Adams- Great penetrator and is very creative with his finishes, the offense runs smoothly(at least compared to when Gibbs is running the offense) when he is in the game. Not a great Three point shooter but he has shown a pretty good midrange game as of late. He is an big X factor for UConn. When he plays well UConn is a very good team.

Rodney Purvis- looks to leak early to get out in transition and is very good at it. However he is not a great finisher when there is any sort of contest. Its frustrating to watch this guy who is put together so well struggle to finish through and around contact. In the half court he is a good three point shooter and can get hot. He will look to penetrate if he has a lane but has been a little hesitant as of late. On defense he is out most agresssive Peri.enter defenders. He will get up in you chest and challenge your dribble and your passes.

Omar Calhoun- comes off the bench. His minutes vary from game to game but he is a senior who can knock down threes and make winning plays

Daniel Hamilton- very streaky shooter. Only shoots 38 percent for his career so he does struggle to consistently put the ball in the basket.however that does not mean he can't score. He often settles for too many long threes at the end of the shot clock. Is at his most effective when he pulls down the board and pushes it in transition. He led the team in rebounds and assists so that is a big part of what we are trying to do. UConn needs to get out on the break in order to score points and Hamilton is the key.

Shonn Miller- great scorer on the block. This year he has been basically u stoppable when he is manned up and he has the ball 15 feet in. Has the ability to stretch out to the three point line but he is much more effective 15 feet in. His biggest problem is that he is a fouling machine. He struggles to consistently stay on the court but he is a difference maker when he is on the court.

Amida Brimah- Shot blocker !!! He changes every Interior shot when he is in the game. However like Miller he is a foul Magnet( a trend for the big men). Almost all of his offense comes off of lobs from Hamilton. His ability to stay on the court is huge for Uconn.

Phil Nolan- will probably start but he is really just a guy that plays good positional defense and is good for five fouls. Not an impact guy but he has experience and has size to influence the game a little.

Steve Enoch- might not play. But he is a big and athletic and really just learning to play the game.

Kentan Facey- will play limited minutes. He is thin and gets pushed around a little bit but is long and athletic who finds the ball well to rebound and can extend his range out to about fifteen feet.

Just a breakdown of what to expect when we play on Thursday. Can't wait for the game.

Last edited:
We are also getting in a McD's All American point guard who is super talented in Gilbert.
So, we'll have Gilbert, Adams and Purvis in the backcourt - 2 McD AA and one who should have made it (adams)

In the front court, we'll still have Brimah and Hamilton with Diarra coming in who I expect to be a monster day 1.

Add to that, Larrier, a top 50 transfer & Durham, top 40 player 6'11" & 4 star Vance Jackson.

We are also getting in a McD's All American point guard who is super talented in Gilbert.
So, we'll have Gilbert, Adams and Purvis in the backcourt - 2 McD AA and one who should have made it (adams)

In the front court, we'll still have Brimah and Hamilton with Diarra coming in who I expect to be a monster day 1.

Add to that, Larrier, a top 50 transfer & Durham, top 40 player 6'11" & 4 star Vance Jackson.
We are getting a couple of Burger King All Americans, so bite me!

One of the guys is a whopper.

Last edited:
If Josh Scott plays his normal game, CU is going to end with a heavy advantage at the post. UConn bigs are going to be in foul trouble quickly.

Also people seem to be making a big deal about FT% on various sites. Lunardi being one of them.

UConn is #1 in the nation at 78.5%
Colorado is #1 in the Pac-12 and T-20 nationally at 73.8%

UConn averages 16.9 FT's/game
CU averages 23.6 FT's/game

UConn has attempted a total of 557 Ft's
CU has attempted a total of 779 Ft's

The percentages favor UConn, however it is pretty apparent that CU gets to the stripe much more often.

Last edited:
I worry about our psyche when we have a big lead and the opponent begins to chip away. We haven't, really, dealt with that all season. Our guards seem to really turtle under pressure and that really has me worried for this one. Our inability to protect leads will, or should, give our opponent confidence that they are never out of it. Also, if the game is close at the end, I worry that our guards will crumple under the pressure, a la the end of the Utah game at home.

It was a good one. The new one? Not so much.

University+of+Connecticut+Mascot.jpg
Rapey.

If Josh Scott plays his normal game, CU is going to end with a heavy advantage at the post. UConn bigs are going to be in foul trouble quickly.

Also people seem to be making a big deal about FT% on various sites. Lunardi being one of them.

UConn is #1 in the nation at 78.5%
Colorado is #1 in the Pac-12 and T-20 nationally at 73.8%

UConn averages 16.9 FT's/game
CU averages 23.6 FT's/game

UConn has attempted a total of 557 Ft's
CU has attempted a total of 779 Ft's

The percentages favor UConn, however it is pretty apparent that CU gets to the stripe much more often.

Small potatoes but CU is 37th nationally in FT%. Good highlight of contrast in FTA's.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2016-school-stats.html

1 positive that should be highlighted is that our last 6 game stretch has been our best stretch all year in terms of limiting turnovers. We've given up 12 TO's or less in each of the last 6.

I worry about our psyche when we have a big lead and the opponent begins to chip away. We haven't, really, dealt with that all season. Our guards seem to really turtle under pressure and that really has me worried for this one. Our inability to protect leads will, or should, give our opponent confidence that they are never out of it. Also, if the game is close at the end, I worry that our guards will crumple under the pressure, a la the end of the Utah game at home.

Is there some kind of weird magic going on where both teams were actually the same people playing in different uniforms all year? I assumed this was a UConn fan post until the end.

Is there some kind of weird magic going on where both teams were actually the same people playing in different uniforms all year? I assumed this was a UConn fan post until the end.
Yeah for real UConn has to have the worst offense in the country with six minutes to go trying to protect a lead. Its like with each possession they are hoping all six minutes will come off the clock and the game will end. Then last second they realize they have to launch a long covered three.

Yeah for real UConn has to have the worst offense in the country with six minutes to go trying to protect a lead. Its like with each possession they are hoping all six minutes will come off the clock and the game will end. Then last second they realize they have to launch a long covered three.

You should see our collection of blown 14 point leads...

Ha, with all the great UConn posters coming by dropping knowledge, I'm definitely taking the under and anticipate a 9 minute scoring drought for both teams.

You should see our collection of blown 14 point leads...

So we can expect a game of big runs. Nobody freak out when someone jumps on the first run of the game. That goes equally for the team leading the charge.

Look up our USC game. Or is it YOUR USC game? Or the Zona game. or the Utah game at our house. Or their house. Washington game at home. etc. etc. etc.

So we can expect a game of big runs. Nobody freak out when someone jumps on the first run of the game. That goes equally for the team leading the charge.
UConn is very streaky and it all starts with the defense. When we get stops and Hamilton comes down with the rebound on consecutive possessions we score and get confidence and go on a quick scoring out burst. But when we are forced to play half court and have a few empty possessions they seems to build on each other and they get worse. For uconn the less this game involves playing a half court game the better.

For our UConn fans, here's a player breakdown of the 9 CU guys you can expect to see:

Josh Scott (Sr): very fundamentally strong big man who hustles more than most stars you see these days. Throwback who won't overwhelm with raw athleticism, but through great timing & technique blocks a good number of shots and gets up the court on the break. Has sometimes been able to extend the defense against opposing centers who don't like getting pulled out of the paint. Good passer out of the post.

Wesley Gordon (Jr): somewhat the opposite of Scott. Long and athletic PF with quick ups who doesn't have the best footwork or fundamentals. Is most dangerous as a rebounder and rim protector/ help defender who gets a lot of his points on putbacks. Can surprise with the occasional long jump shot. Surprising athleticism has allowed him to actually cover opposing guards at times and CU will sometimes switch 1-5 or at least 1-4 with Wes on the court. Also a pretty good passer.

George King (So): scorer with a clutch gene. Great 3pt shooter and decent finisher. Struggles in the mid-range and turns the ball over a lot for a wing. Often a plus rebounder. Not a good team defender but does engage well when assigned a difficult cover.

Josh Fortune (Jr): 2 guard who pretty much defines streak shooter. Could go 1/7 from 3pt range. Could bury a team by going 5/6 from deep. Also streaky on turnovers (sometimes forces things into no man's land) and his defense can be erratic. Long for a 2, though, and is a plus rebounder from the position. Was a starter at Providence before transferring to CU and sitting out last season per NCAA regs.

Tre'shaun Fletcher (Jr): very long wing who is the glue guy in the rotation as a wing. Decent handle. Decent finisher. Pretty good 3pt shot. When he's playing angry, he can be a load and make a lot of plays. Unfortunately, he tends to get in foul trouble when playing that way so that's caused a lot of variability in his aggressiveness. Especially on offense, he can be too passive.

Dominique Collier (So): here's the big enigma for CU at the point. He has had nights when he is dealing, playing great team defense without fouling, and knocking down a bunch of 3pt shots. He has had nights when he's not making the right pass, turning the ball over, not looking for his offense, and getting beat off the bounce while picking up quick fouls by reaching. Within a single game we can see stretches of each. If an opponent gets in his head or gets some early fouls on him, he can disappear. Pretty slick handle. Not super fast or a quick-twitch PG.

Xavier Talton (Sr): pretty much what you want from a rotation senior guard. Makes 90+% of his free throws and plays within the system on both ends. Willingly takes charges and is effective on offense when he lets things come to him instead of trying to force action.

Tory Miller (So): big, scary dude who plays with a lot of emotion. Defensive footwork is an issue. On offense, has a surprisingly soft touch for a guy as big bodied as he is. Very much a banger on the interior, but who can extend a bit into the mid-range for a baseline jumper. Maturing, though, and can let his emotions get away from him (actually bit a player from Air Force this year in a loose ball tie-up).

Thomas Akyazilli (Fr): freshman PG from Belgium who plays with toughness. Quick hands - gets more steals, strips and blocks than you'd expect. Been in a long shooting slump but did hit a late 3 in the last game so maybe coming out of it. Good handle. Aggressive. Makes some freshman mistakes. Also makes plays.

(On the bench and ineligible to play is a lot of firepower that is expected to return next season. Xavier Johnson is a big wing/ college 4 who can guard 2-4, hit 3s, finish at rim, rebound and emotionally lead. Tore Achilles last summer or would have been senior & 2nd leading scorer behind Josh Scott this season. Derrick White, a DII All-American who transferred to CU and has to sit out this season. Practice reports are that he can do it all on the offensive end as a 6'5" guard and is probably CU's most complete weapon -- scores in a variety of ways, dishes, rebounds. Assumption is that CU will have to adjust to not having things running through Josh Scott next year, but the talent level and firepower may be the highest it's ever been at Colorado.)

P.S. -- If UConn is able to play a zone that doubles Josh Scott from the weak side while pressing out on the perimeter to force them to penetrate into the muck off a kick-out... CU has basically had no answer for that this season. Buffs usually kill a straight man defense, though. Especially if that man defense goes underneath screens or helps aggressively on dribble penetration. Just have to be able to rebound out of that kind of zone and CU is toast.

P.S. -- If UConn is able to play a zone that doubles Josh Scott from the weak side while presses out on the perimeter to force them to penetrate into the muck off a kick-out... CU has basically had no answer for that this season. Buffs usually kill a straight man defense, though. Especially if that man defense goes underneath screens or helps aggressively on dribble penetration.
Yea, big hint against us. Don't go under a screen, ever. Especially if it's GMFK out there. He's lethal with his feet set.

As far as defense we are mostly a man 2 man team. We throw in some zone but its not really our thing. We mainly change it up just to give the other team a different look. We will probably double team Scott with the other big. And rotate the guard from the weak side over to intercept a pass to the other big. This has forced a lot of turnovers and helped limit some foul trouble when dealing with a big man that can score.

I'm going to predict a slow start for Colorado. LIke having 5 points after 6 minutes. It might take a few possessions to adjust to our D

I'm going to predict a slow start for Colorado. LIke having 5 points after 6 minutes. It might take a few possessions to adjust to our D

According to KenPom, UConn is #13 in adjusted D with a 93.7 and Colorado is #26 with a 95.5

Think CU will be ok handling the defense, I don't doubt they will have a tough time getting started. We seem to always do that regardless of who we play.

Think CU will be ok handling the defense, I don't doubt they will have a tough time getting started. We seem to always do that regardless of who we play.

Yeah, it's maddening.

We're going to need to hit the offensive glass the way we can and do, that'll slow down the break some. Uconn is quick off that transition man.

Don't see our bigs getting into foul trouble though (but you never know in the big tourney), so we should be rebounding the whole game.

Yeah, it's maddening.

We're going to need to hit the offensive glass the way we can and do, that'll slow down the break some. Uconn is quick off that transition man.

Don't see our bigs getting into foul trouble though (but you never know in the big tourney), so we should be rebounding the whole game.

We outrebounded Zona(T-21 nationally) by 16 last thursday.

16!

CU is #4 in rebounds/game with 42.4
UConn is tied for #152 with 36.5

CU has 1400 total rebounds
UConn has 1206 total rebounds

CU is at 437orb and 963drb
UConn is at 319orb and 877drb

We should absolutely own the glass in this matchup. SHOULD being the key word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back