What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coming soon... 8 team playoffs

Oh my god, no it wouldn't. Teams still have to play their asses off all year long to go to and win their conference championship game to get that automatic bid. People need to stop comparing the importance of the regular seasons in a sport with 30+ regular season games and a conference tournament to a sport with 12 regular season games and 1 CCG. Football is king and expansion will only make the college game more popular.

What would have happened if 2012 6-6 UCLA beat the Ducks in the CCG and received an auto bid to an 8 team playoff? Gross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at the tv ratings for the playoffs and every other bowl:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

I didn't do the math but it looks like the 3 game playoffs beat the other 25ish other bowls combined. So yes people love the playoffs and love watching them. and I'm not saying that is does this for all the bowls or will continue to do so, but look at what it did for a random bowl I selected last year:

holidaybowlchart.gif

I know that we have a single data point of comparison, but right now the playoffs seem to be helping the other bowls, or at least it helped the holiday bowl.

With regard to the single data point, you'd also have to look the day of the week (ie Saturday vs a Wednesday) and what other games were on that day (maybe those all sucked). But what I really take from this graph is that the more high profile the teams playing are, the more people are going to watch.
USC vs NEB, historically would be much more enticing than ASU vs TT or whatever.

With regard to the single data point, you'd also have to look the day of the week (ie Saturday vs a Wednesday) and what other games were on that day (maybe those all sucked). But what I really take from this graph is that the more high profile the teams playing are, the more people are going to watch.
USC vs NEB, historically would be much more enticing than ASU vs TT or whatever.

Good points. I didn't feel like looking up all the games. I'm sure there is an article or there with the information already compiled.

I do think the first year of the playoff raised the overall excitement around the college bowl season.

I expect that to continue. It happens with the NCAA hoops tourney. We get into basketball mode and want to watch games. On the nights the Dance isn't on, the NCAA has its NIT games televised and they do pretty well.

What football had in the past was the equivalent of if basketball decided its champion by having a bunch of those November destination tournaments and then voted on the national champion once they were over (or had a computer algorithm that decided the champ). There's no sizzle to that for tv viewers. You've got to have an EVENT to draw folks in and then you'll see the sideshows draw well. Football Final 4 (or 8) is that EVENT. 8 would be great because you could have 3 champion football weeks (just like we have 3 champion basketball weeks) and televise bowl games on weekday nights during that period.

P.S. - And college football needs to always structure it so as to own New Year's Day. I'd set the semi-final round at that time every year.

What would have happened if 2012 6-6 UCLA beat the Ducks in the CCG and received an auto bid to an 8 team playoff? Gross.

What would happen under the BCS format if that happened? UCLA would have been playing in the Rose Bowl as the Pac 12's automatic bid. Under an 8 team playoff using autobids, instead of playing in the Rose Bowl, UCLA would just be playing in the 1st round of the playoffs. To Duff's point, maybe there shouldn't be automatic bids based on Conference Champions. Maybe it should be the top 8 teams according to the end of year rankings, like they did it this year for the top 4 teams.

Auto bids would reward Baylor-type scheduling and clearly devalue the regular season. I want better non-conference scheduling. I want the best eight teams fighting it out.

I am in favor of keeping it at 4 and not any larger.

Rep sent to Hwk for his solid arguments in this thread.

College football is special in that every game in the regular season has the potential to knock you out of contention for the championship. That makes the regular season, start to finish much more interesting. Go to 8 and it will only be a matter of time until we see a school or schools with 3 losses in the bracket, potentially knocking out an undefeated or one loss team. The bigger the playoff the more it becomes a matter of who is hot at the end, not who was best throughout the season.

The playoffs were a lot of fun this season but I also enjoyed the bowls. I agree that there are to many minor bowls but apparently the sponsors don't because there are four more being applied for next year with sponsors already lined up.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...2015-season-austin-tuscon-little-rock-orlando

Certainly the combination of a 4 team playoff and the traditional bowls was financially solid for the game with a total payout of $505 million and expenses to participate at $100 million the $400 million profit is huge.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-score-college-bowl-game-payouts-surpass-500-135756815--
ncaaf.html;_ylt=A0SO8zfKpzJVNdcApr5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzc29mY25qBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNjE4XzEEc2VjA3Nj

One factor that doesn't get considered here financially when talking about expanding playoffs and diminishing the value of the bowl system is the impact on direct donations to athletic departments.

Under the current system, even with the 4 team playoff the teams participating in the bowls can put a happy face on the season for their donors. A whole bunch of schools get to go someplace nice (or at least usually decent excluding the Detroits, and Boises) with a chance to end the season with a win. If you have some big money donors you fly them in, give them seats in the box with the AD and the school president, and hit them up for a check as the team is getting it's picture taken on the field with a bowl trophy.

How many schools, especially schools that get less conference revenue like non-P5 schools are willing to give this up so another 4 (or 8 or 12 in the future) power conference schools can be in the playoffs?

I agree. And that's a good argument for not expanding past 8.

You know that once you start to expand the playoffs it doesn't stop until it is beyond any reason.

Just like Baylor this year whoever is the first or second team out will argue that if the team in front of them is in they should be as well. Four teams in, five and six complain, six team you hear it from numbers seven and eight, go to 12 and 13 and 14 are complaining.

Look at the MBB tourney where outside of the autobids we see something like 42 at large seats. The first couple out scream like they have been wronged (and we did to in Tad's first year) despite the fact that none of those teams are any kind of threat to be champion nor should they be.

I don't want to see some 3 loss 14 seed make a lucky three game run and go home with the trophy, I don't even want them playing for it in the first place.

Auto bids would reward Baylor-type scheduling and clearly devalue the regular season. I want better non-conference scheduling. I want the best eight teams fighting it out.
Was Baylor a top 8 team in 2014, even with the craptastic non-conference schedule, in your opinion?

I agree. I also think auto-bids are inevitable.

The conferences will demand auto bids. Five P5 conferences with 8 teams in the playoffs = auto bids for those five conferences. It's then a horse race to see which teams get those other three bids.

I like 8 but I'm not a fan of auto bids either. Somehow just get the 8 best teams, Idk how to go about it however.

CBS's Dennis Dodd hangs around Big XII AD's for a week and decides Playoff expansion is coming

new'ish idea is getting rid of CCGs in favor of another round of the playoffs. DD posits that nobody will miss the Pac or B1G CCGs.

briefly touches on the idea of a six team playoff

speculates that should the SEC ever miss the playoffs completely, that could be the turning point and that the playoff contract is more malleable than reported elsewhere.

I would like to see both. Make it a brutal(ish) four game stretch that some team needs to get through.

Back