What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Concerts Returning to Folsom! (Dead and Company First)

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
http://www.colorado.edu/news/features/concerts-returning-folsom-field-summer-dead-company

This morning, AEG Live announced that Dead & Company (three of the surviving members of the Grateful Dead, touring with John Mayer and others) will play two shows at Folsom Field on July 2 and 3. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Friday, with various pre-sale opportunities starting Tuesday. See www.cubuffs.com/DeadAndCompany for more details.

As many members of our campus and community will recall, Folsom Field hosted many high-profile concerts throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, featuring bands such as the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac. The Grateful Dead also made memorable appearances in the venue in 1972 and in 1980. This will be the first concert at Folsom Field since the Dave Matthews Band performed and recorded its live album (Live at Folsom Field, Boulder Colorado) in 2001.

- See more at: http://www.colorado.edu/news/featur...ield-summer-dead-company#sthash.ROqcrDdl.dpuf

This makes me laugh. Of all the Bands the could host, they kick things off with the Dead. What could go wrong at a multi day Dead show in Boulder? I agree they will profit, but damn! Look forward to some funny you tubes of stoned old hippies doing stupid stuff.

This makes me laugh. Of all the Bands the could host, they kick things off with the Dead. What could go wrong at a multi day Dead show in Boulder? I agree they will profit, but damn! Look forward to some funny you tubes of stoned old hippies doing stupid stuff.

So, it will pretty much be just another day in downtown Boulder?

"Hey Purchasing, go ahead and double that 4/20 order for fishy smelling fertilizer. We gotta spread an other layer before the Dead show."
- CU Office of the Chancellor

They may as well book wide spread panic the following week so all the chasers can just stay on the lawns along Boulder Creek for another week

"Hey Purchasing, go ahead and double that 4/20 order for fishy smelling fertilizer. We gotta spread an other layer before the Dead show."
- CU Office of the Chancellor
Nothing a little patchouli oil won't cover up

Seems like a good idea. I always thought it was a bit puritanical to stop having concerts there

Lots of rich 'sell outs' reliving their glory years...sounds perfect!

sucks I can't make these, and again, I'm totally bummed.

was talking to the wife about this. she reminded me that our last "football stadium concert" featuring one-headlining band was in 2009 (U2) and that leaving the concert i remarked to our daughter that "this might be the only concert you'll see in a football stadium", noting that booking venues of that size for a single headliner doesn't seem to happen nearly as often as it did in the 1980's and 90's.

we should start a "guess the attendance" thread on this, maybe.

Dead & Company sold out two nights at 1st Bank Center last fall. but that place only holds 7500 people. The biggest venue on the fall tour held <12k. Other than the GD shows in Santa Clara and Chicago, I don't believe any of the post-Jerry Dead lineups have packed more than 25k (except for multi-band festivals), so I'm a little surprised they're going for this. The Broomfield shows were a pair of weeknights, so the weekend shows at Folsom could sell more.

Tickets start at $79 + fees, so we're looking at Red Rocks level prices (no surprise).

Add crowd for the novelty of concerts returning to Folsom.
Add crowd for the awesomeness of an outdoor summer concert in Colorado (vs indoor at 1st Bank).
Subtract from that decreased student attendance due to summertime.
Subtract that local heads likely just saw the band play last fall, so we're not starving for the sound.

Looks like they're closing the North endzone, and selling GA tickets on the field.

I'll go with attendance between 25k - 30k for each night.

folsomfield2.jpg

I bet they sell out both nights. I'm guessing the possible attendance is between 35 and 40 K based on that seating chart.

EDIT: I need to up that capacity guess, as I didn't account for the GA on the field. Still am going to guess that they sell it out.

In the CU email for season ticket holders, tickets are said to range from $40 to $120. But when I go to one of the ticket sites there is nothing under $100. One site has a few in the Club Level, some in the lower "100's" level around midfield on both sides and then the GA on the field. But the GA on the field are, like, $175 to $260. That's nuts! Does anyone have any idea what the pricing and seating is? Is there a site map, other then the one posted above, showing seating with ticket prices?

Last edited:
In the CU email for season ticket holders, tickets are said to range from $40 to $120. But when I go to one of the ticket sites there is nothing under $100. One site has a few in the Club Level, some in the lower "100's" level around midfield on both sides and then the GA on the field. But the GA on the field are, like, $175 to $260. That's nuts! Does anyone have any idea what the pricing and seating is? Is there a site map, other then the one posted above, showing seating with ticket prices?

Weed is included, right?

In today's edition of "Rick George is a Badass"

http://www.westword.com/music/how-music-came-back-to-boulders-folsom-field-7828944

Don Strasburg: Although it’s been a long time since Dave Matthews played at Folsom Field, we’ve all kept in touch with the powers that be at the University of Colorado Boulder about the opportunities of potentially doing another show at Folsom. One of the concerns was the inability to have any level of alcohol sales at the venue, and the school approached us about a year ago and said, “We’re looking at relaxing those policies for the right sort of entertainment. Let’s open discussions in regards to doing shows at Folsom.”

Uhhhhh the dead sold out 3 straight days at Soldier field last summer???

RG gets it. He can find a program like WTen with a couple Folsom or Keg concerts. It's stupid not to do this.

Yep. Set a Soldier Field attendance record.

Yep. Tickets on the secondary market were selling for thousands. I admit to being shocked when they only took a few weeks off before meandering back down the road. I'm glad I didn't invest big bucks in the 'last dead shows'.

Yep. Tickets on the secondary market were selling for thousands. I admit to being shocked when they only took a few weeks off before meandering back down the road. I'm glad I didn't invest big bucks in the 'last dead shows'.
technically, they promised it would be the final "Grateful Dead" concert, and I believe they'll hold to that promise. However, for me, the last GD concert was 7/9/95.

That being said, I'll enter into spousal negotiations to go see any surviving member of the Grateful Dead's spin-off band if they play within a 3 hour radius of me.

"but honey, this could be the last chance we ever get to see {Phil, Bobby, Micky, Billy, Bruce}. Ever!"
"hokiehead, you've been saying that for over twenty years. The rest of those guys are never going die."

Back