What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

conclusions about who will thrive and who will not under the new regime...

after all the stories we have heard (kickers with dead legs, being the latest example) and all we saw with our own eyes (talent being left on the sidelines in favor of gutty little overachievers), i have come to the conclusion that we have absolutely no ****ing idea what we are going to look like next year, talent-wise.

if smith and solder both go top 10 or, hell, even both round 1, the fact that the staff couldn't even manage a bowl game just reinforces me that they had no ****ing clue what they were doing at all.

i see a lot of predictions about how various players may do under embree, and it is fun to speculate, but when you are comparing to totally ****ing incompetent coaching the last 5 years, it is really hard to judge what may happen.

i do know this... the schedule next year is murderous. if the staff manages to overcome that enough to make it to a bowl and they recruit like CU traditionally has recruited when it is winning (top 25 class minimum), then i will feel like we actually have a staff in place that knows what it is doing.

hawkins makes fairbanks look like knute ****ing rockne. fairbanks sucked, but at least he had an excuse... he was drunk and checked out. ****ing hawkins was, at least up to this last season, actually TRYING to win and failing.

Arguing whether Fairbanks was worse than Hawkins is like arguing about whether you'd rather have dinner with Hannibal Lecter or help Buffalo Bill move some furniture. Same destination, just a different way of getting there.

I'm guessing Nick Kasa will benefit from not playing DT in a half-baked imitation of a 3-4 defense, and that Ryan Deehan will benefit from having a offensive scheme that uses the TE properly, instead of being expected to be a blocking back/extra tackle. Deehan was a four star player, he showed some talent as a freshman, and he's been buried since then doing grunt work because Kiesau and friends forgot to recruit a fullback but wanted to use one anyway.

As a footnote, Fairbanks went 3-8 his first year in 1979 and then had two players drafted in the first round in 1980, CB Mark Haynes and OT Stan Brock.

I don't see anyone not benefiting from having a new staff. Perhaps only the people that shouldn't have been on the field. It'll be interesting to see how Embree deals with personnel now that Hawk is done.

My recollection was that he was a 4* and was being recruited by UGA but came here instead.

You are correct. He was a 4* and then was downgraded to 3* later.

From what I saw in scrimmages and heard about from practices, Obi should have played a lot more snaps last year. He was under-utilized, especially with Bonsu out.

:rofl: Great info. Smith and Solder play the same positions too. haha

yeah, its not exactly the parallel that we want, although its great for Nate and Jimmy that they are going to get paid.

It just makes me sick that we had coaches that thought that having a nickel back one on one against Ryan Broyles was a good idea when we had Jalil Brown and Jimmy Smith around. It makes me sicker that our offensive line coach thought that it was a bad idea for offensive linemen to extend their arms and that they should block with their elbows out and hands in, so you wouldn't get holding penalties. Although, to be fair, it did cut down on holding penalties, as its hard to get holding penalties when your linemen are instructed to not block.

I firmly believe that most of Dan Hawkins assistants learned their football from playing electric football in the basement.

I don't see anyone not benefiting from having a new staff. Perhaps only the people that shouldn't have been on the field. It'll be interesting to see how Embree deals with personnel now that Hawk is done.

I can give you a whole group who will not benefit from having a new staff, the opponents coaching staffs. For good teams under Hawkins, the CU game was a fairly easy win that you didn't have to work really hard for because CU would figure out a way to lose it. For bad teams or OOC teams from minor conferences it was an opportunity to "Beat a BCS team." Look at the publicity that Montana State, Toledo, etc. gained from beating Hawkins. Look at how many times the coaches as schools like Iowa State and KSU got to take a week off from the pressure by beating the Buffs. How many byes did CSU coaches get from beating the Buffs, for Ram fans a 3-9 season is okay if one of the wins is CU.

I would also guess that there are some recruits on the team that either don't want to work as hard as Embree and staff are going to expect or simply don't have the talent to compete at this level and were hidden by the Hawkins staff to avoid admitting that they made mistakes in recruiting.

On the other side, I agree with a number of prior posters. I don't think Speedy will get much better but he doesn't have to. Use him correctly and give him some holes to run through and you end up with much better numbers for speedy. Same thing with the TEs, use them right, give them opportunities and results will come. I think this is especially true for the TEs now because with all the spread offenses and multiple WR sets that teams are using many are not used to practicing against or defending effective TE play.

The O-line was already starting to get more aggressive under Cabral after the firing. Let those big guys play with some agression and a sense of purpose and the talent we have will start to shine. As an added benefit, when your O-line is knocking guys down and making holes for the RBs pass blocking gets a lot easier and your QB who is no longer just trying to survive gets much more confident and effective.

It would be hard for a defense not to miss two CBs like the ones we are losing. That said Brown is an excellent coach and I think that if the front seven can get more effective the DBs will be at worst effective. I think the DL will get much better, the guys we have strike me as much better suited for 4-3 than 3-4. Kasa at end without the 3-4 responsibilities could blossom, Pericek is an athletically gifted big guy, he could wreak havock on offenses given a chance. Cunningham is a rock but at the 3-4 nose was undersized, playing two DTs takes some of the pressure off him. A number of the other DL could thrive in this situation as well.

Major is another guy who in addition to being injured was messed with by Hawkins staff. They kept redefining what they wanted him to be never giving him enough time at one spot or responsibility to get comfortable. In a 4-3 the LBs are usually a bit more free to move and can have more defined responsibilites.

The kicking game could lead to a whole new thread so I will stop here. Suffice to say that this team still lacks talent and speed at a lot of positions, I'm not expecting miracles next year or the year after in terms of record. On the other hand I also expect to see the guys we do have with talent given an opportunity to use it. I don't have any problem if we play well and lose to Oregon next year by a couple of touchdowns, they are a talented program that is well coached. I just don't want to see losses to teams like Toledo and CSU, escapes agains the Eastern Washingtons of the world, or games were we just don't show up like the last three against Mizzou.

on the NFL angle, Hawkins also won a combined total of 7 games his first two seasons with T-Wheat, Dizon (both NFL players) and Bad Thad. Not to mention Hugh Charles who was a very serviceable college RB. Polumbus and Geer in the NFL mix, i think too.

on the NFL angle, Hawkins also won a combined total of 7 games his first two seasons with T-Wheat, Dizon (both NFL players) and Bad Thad. Not to mention Hugh Charles who was a very serviceable college RB. Polumbus and Geer in the NFL mix, i think too.

And despite going 53-11 at Boise State previously he didn't "produce" a single first rounder. Daryn Colledge was his highest as a 2nd rounder (Clady was recruited during Hawkins tenure but became an impact player in the 2 full years after Hawkins left).

Speedy and lock will both have big years, 2000 yard rushing combined. Others are

P Richardson
Tony Clemons
Deehan

Biggest year will go to Thornton Devaughn.

The direction this team goes and who benefits falls directly on the players especially the seniors. The players will have to decide if they want to buy into what the new staff is selling. Remember that Neuheisel's style was more laid back and when the new staff came in there was not buy in from the players. The 99 team played below their talent level. I think the 2005 team suffered from that also to some extent. If the team embraces the new philosophy then things will be good, if not then it will be an uphill battle.

As a side bar - when Marshall was here before he instilled a little nastiness into the Oline - I think the line could benefit along with the whole offense if the same attitude was adopted.

o-line should be better with the right coaching and i think stewarts number of carries will fall but he will be better later in games because he will not be over worked. I would hope we would see a normal punt formation also hate the rugby punts.

How about the entire defensive backfield? I know Ambrose was a popular coach with both players & fans, but this group clearly regressed in 2010. Anyone who watched the last 2 games saw the two sr. CBs look helpless against k-state & lost against neb. If Polk had made any progress, no one would be talking about moving him to RB. Injuries clearly played a role in the backfield's disappointing performance as did a lack of pass rush, but there is no way Smith & Brown should have struggled the way they did. Coach Brown is the bump & run guru and responsible for both of the Thorpe award winners, Figures & Hudson.

How about the entire defensive backfield? I know Ambrose was a popular coach with both players & fans, but this group clearly regressed in 2010. Anyone who watched the last 2 games saw the two sr. CBs look helpless against k-state & lost against neb. If Polk had made any progress, no one would be talking about moving him to LB. Injuries clearly played a role in the backfield's disappointing performance as did a lack of pass rush, but there is no way Smith & Brown should have struggled the way they did. Coach Brown is the bump & run guru and responsible for both of the Thorpe award winners, Figures & Hudson.

fify, and I hope it happens :nod:

i predict that some pundits are going to be predicting that the Buffs may surprise a few teams because, primarily, of the 16 returning starters. i suggest that you could have 22 returning starters and it might not matter if (a) they don't have the talent at this level and/or (b) they've been coached like crap for the past 4 or 5 years. i think we've got some returning talent and that we've got better coaching, but that is just my opinion and we still have no idea what we really have.

no one was predicting a loss to montana ****ing state in game 1 of the hawkins "error."

i hope these guys shock the world... 10 wins!

Im hoping alot of guys step up but one guy Ive got my eye on is Thornton. It would be huge for our offense to have a big threat in the middle of the field imo.

There is not one single conclusion in this entire post. FACT!

I guess we need one of these...

jump-to-conclusions.jpg

Back