What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

BYU is the school whose fan/attendance model most closely resembles Notre Dame's, but they're off by whole integer factors in terms of fan base size and attendance.

BYU would show up anywhere. UVA plays them every decade or so and they bring crowds that are better than many ACC schools within driving distance. 65,000 seat LaVell Edwards stadium. A national title in 84. Basketball that can compete in a power conference. They fit the part wonderfully if it wasn't for the other weird stuff. Independence was a move to answer Utah. They can handle it and are getting some great games, but scheduling becomes very difficult from mid-October onwards. They need a conference. Their hoops and other sports took a hit going from MWC to WCC. They shouldn't be playing Loyola-Marymount based on their ability.

Afternoon radio was interviewing a FOX sports journalist (Radigan?) who said the conference commish issued a memo to member schools.

The main jist of it was that schools were to say there was "unanimous" agreement to table expansion, even tho that's not true.

The memo went into "do's and don'ts" when discussing this with the media. It also said schools shouldn't say the conference is at a competitive disadvantage without expansion.

The memo has been leaked, but I didn't hear where or to whom.
bailer did it.

BYU is the school whose fan/attendance model most closely resembles Notre Dame's, but they're off by whole integer factors in terms of fan base size and attendance.

This is the reason Notre Dame would be appealing to any conference.

BYU has a national following, ND has a national following that dwarfs BYUs.

If the PAC were to get ND as a regular equal member it would be hard for carriers nationally to not carry the PAC Network. Play at South Bend and you play in front of a full house, host them and you get the same.

ISU athletic director said on a local radio show that there is a ton of turmoil in the Pac-12. Also annoying when those AD's say the Big-12 makes more money per school than the Pac-12 but it is mostly due to the fact we missed out on playoff revenue last year.
Wait, what??? Turmoil in the Pac-12?

This is the reason Notre Dame would be appealing to any conference.

BYU has a national following, ND has a national following that dwarfs BYUs.

If the PAC were to get ND as a regular equal member it would be hard for carriers nationally to not carry the PAC Network. Play at South Bend and you play in front of a full house, host them and you get the same.

I just don't see it - we've talked about the weirdness that would come with a 3 time zone conference if/when the Pac went to 16. South Bend is in the eastern time zone.

To say nothing about the fact that South Bend is over 1000 miles away from the nearest current member of the conference, and almost 900 miles from the closest likely expansion member.

Maybe I'm stuck in the 20th century, but it just makes no practical sense.

I just don't see it - we've talked about the weirdness that would come with a 3 time zone conference if/when the Pac went to 16. South Bend is in the eastern time zone.

To say nothing about the fact that South Bend is over 1000 miles away from the nearest current member of the conference, and almost 900 miles from the closest likely expansion member.

Maybe I'm stuck in the 20th century, but it just makes no practical sense.

I'm in favor of no expansion but if it happens there aren't any solid candidates in the existing footprint that add value to eaach teams share. ND would do that.

USC and Stanford already go to South Bend every other year. UCLA and other conference members have done so in the past, and in sports other than football as well.

Money makes lots of things practical.

BYU would show up anywhere. UVA plays them every decade or so and they bring crowds that are better than many ACC schools within driving distance. 65,000 seat LaVell Edwards stadium. A national title in 84. Basketball that can compete in a power conference. They fit the part wonderfully if it wasn't for the other weird stuff. Independence was a move to answer Utah. They can handle it and are getting some great games, but scheduling becomes very difficult from mid-October onwards. They need a conference. Their hoops and other sports took a hit going from MWC to WCC. They shouldn't be playing Loyola-Marymount based on their ability.
The football MNC has a huge asterisk next to it, as the "won" it playing a 6-5 Michigan team. Sad!

BYU's 'mythical' championship was over 30 yrs ago. No teams that finished ranked were played that year. BYU has one victory in its entire history over a team that finished in the top 10, Miami, over 20 years ago. In 40 years, it has only a small handful of victories over teams that have ended ranked 11-25. They won a lot of games against teams that are severely under funded in comparison. Still, they seemed to be the best match for the BIG 12 until 20 LGBT organizations and the ACLU said they would sue if BYU was invited. BYU is toxic and will be independent unless it changes its honor code (unlikely) or the LGBT soften their stance (even less likely). Until then, they will play some decent teams in September and bottom feeders in November, and their basketball team will spend it's regular season in the WCC high school gyms. The decision not to expand really hurt BYU. Given that we recruit in the same foot print, BYU's independence is a good thing for CU, even if it means only gaining a few kids. It keeps another P5 out of CA, NV and Texas.

The football MNC has a huge asterisk next to it, as the "won" it playing a 6-5 Michigan team. Sad!

Sure, but that was the quirky nature of CFB back then. BYU went 13-0. Their schedule was certainly lacking, but only Washington had a case to make as the other option. Both polls went with BYU as national champion.

They've got a tradition none of the other candidates for Big XII expansion have. 34 bowl games, 18 top 25 finishes, etc. And the aforementioned ability to travel nationally and fill a 65,000 seat stadium in Provo. When going up against the likes of CSU and Tulane, it's not hard to make them seem a powerhouse. They dwarf most of the others.

Sure, but that was the quirky nature of CFB back then. BYU went 13-0. Their schedule was certainly lacking, but only Washington had a case to make as the other option. Both polls went with BYU as national champion.

They've got a tradition none of the other candidates for Big XII expansion have. 34 bowl games, 18 top 25 finishes, etc. And the aforementioned ability to travel nationally and fill a 65,000 seat stadium in Provo. When going up against the likes of CSU and Tulane, it's not hard to make them seem a powerhouse. They dwarf most of the others.
Yeah, they may be at the top of the list of G5s, although BSU has a more recent run to reasonably challenge them in football. Just pointing out to the kids who weren't breathing yet what a joke it was, beating 6-5 Michigan by one score in the Holiday Bowl to win the MNC.

I'm not a BYU fan, but I disagree. Where ever they play they tend to have as many or more than the home team. I'm catholic and can't stand Norte Dame, but LDS people support their team, and when they come to a state they make a church event out of it. They don't fit in the PAC for many reasons, but their brand and following is international and real.

I'm not a BYU fan, but I disagree. Where ever they play they tend to have as many or more than the home team. I'm catholic and can't stand Norte Dame, but LDS people support their team, and when they come to a state they make a church event out of it. They don't fit in the PAC for many reasons, but their brand and following is international and real.
do a quick review for the last two years of how Notre Dame and BYU compare on road/neutral game attendance. ND is a clear winner, at least for football. No information, but I suspect ND's impact on Olympic sport attendance is much more impressive than BYUs.
there's also 4x as many Catholics as LDS in the country right now, so 4x as many potential "free fans"

do a quick review for the last two years of how Notre Dame and BYU compare on road/neutral game attendance. ND is a clear winner, at least for football. No information, but I suspect ND's impact on Olympic sport attendance is much more impressive than BYUs.
there's also 4x as many Catholics as LDS in the country right now, so 4x as many potential "free fans"
Religion analysis! This board has EVERYTHING!

Can't find the post, but someone chimed in with info from a family member/booster of the land thieves basically stating Boren would like to move OU to the big 10 and that state politicos would keep okie and okie lite together.

I bounced these ideas off the Rivals guy I know. He confirmed that Boren has been in love with the big 10 idea for a long time. Academics may be the sticking point.

He also said that there are a couple of different camps regarding political pressure and the 2 schools, but that the strongest underlying current now is that the split would happen if the right circumstances were presented.

well, once Texas secedes after Hils wins, the PAC will want UT to expand to international markets, right?

I was just talking with a work buddy who is a huge Boise State fan about tomorrow's game between Boise and BYU and I was thinking about this thread. Noting that Idaho has a large LDS population and that Boise has a stadium that only holds 36k, I was expecting to see that the game is sold out. Not quite.

boise.png

I was just talking with a work buddy who is a huge Boise State fan about tomorrow's game between Boise and BYU and I was thinking about this thread. Noting that Idaho has a large LDS population and that Boise has a stadium that only holds 36k, I was expecting to see that the game is sold out. Not quite.

View attachment 21151

That is weird. I would have guessed it would be packed, too, but then again, it being an 8:15 kickoff on a Thursday probably keeps families away, and quite possibly a lot of working folks, too.

View attachment 21151
I cannot watch games telecast on that field. Sorry. It does something to my sensory perception or something.

Simple way to look at support.

What kind of money is BYU getting for it's football games from ESPN. How much did ND get from NBC? Notre Dame got millions, BYU a fraction of that. BYU gets secondary slots. ND gets prime slots.

As to BYU being toxic because of their moral stances, that is wishful thinking from the left. Remember that the power core of the B12 is made up of former SWC schools. If Baylor covering up rape and murder isn't enough to make the B12 concerned the honor code and religious stands of BYU aren't going to get in the way if they think they can make them money.

Can't find the post, but someone chimed in with info from a family member/booster of the land thieves basically stating Boren would like to move OU to the big 10 and that state politicos would keep okie and okie lite together.

I bounced these ideas off the Rivals guy I know. He confirmed that Boren has been in love with the big 10 idea for a long time. Academics may be the sticking point.

He also said that there are a couple of different camps regarding political pressure and the 2 schools, but that the strongest underlying current now is that the split would happen if the right circumstances were presented.
I don't have too many fancy connections, but I can concur this thought.

I think the overall thought is that OU and OSU are joined at the hip, and for some political reasons, it's true. But if the SEC or BIG came calling to OU and insisted that OSU is left out, OSU is left out.
Here is the bottom line for OSU. They add absolutely nothing to a conference. NOTHING. They're ok at football right now, historically have been awful. They historically have been pretty decent in Basketball...garbage right now, but have a new coach. Wrestling and Golf are where all their championships are at, and basically, who gives a ****? Wrestling is a dying sport, and golf is...well golf. So you have all that, plus weak academics, a crazy oil tycoon that wants to be Jerry Jones at the college level, and an absolute waste of space of a town. OSU is screwed.
Texas can suck a bag of dicks too. They have destroyed every conference they've been in with their cheating and greed. Forming the Big 12 was the worst thing the old Big 8 could have done. The balance of power moved south, recruiting became more difficult for the North schools. Screw the Texas schools. Right in their stupid faces.
I freely admit I have bias against these schools. I live down here and have to smell this **** on a daily basis. We don't want this stench in the Pac 12. Please, I implore you. Forget about the trash we left behind. IF...if we have to add schools, keep them west of the Kansas/Colorado state line. Add NM...add SDSU if you have to. But stay away from the crap we left...I forgot what the hell we're discussing.

Back