What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

You think my opinion is wrong. Not sure why this baffles you in any way.
No, I'm simply asking a question about why you think we'll just tread water (and initially what your definition of treading water is)

Good coaching staff that will struggle to consistently land elite talent.

So you are essentially saying we can aspire to be like Oregon State under Riley.

Compared to our last 10 years that would be a major improvement and I would consider that huge progress.

I'm not so sure though that we can't expect to see an eventual boost in the quality of recruiting. We are never going to recruit like USC does year in and year out but I can see M2 closing some legit 4* types down the road based on the big if, which is us winning enough games to be respectable.

But for right now Riley has had his team in a lot more bowls recently than we have been so that is a fair aspiration for a program that was on life support coming off the JE era.

And I do believe the 16-team conference would be great. Would put the PAC in line to be the best conference in several sports.

Texas would not wield near the influence it did in the Big 12.

So you are essentially saying we can aspire to be like Oregon State under Riley.

Compared to our last 10 years that would be a major improvement and I would consider that huge progress.

I'm not so sure though that we can't expect to see an eventual boost in the quality of recruiting. We are never going to recruit like USC does year in and year out but I can see M2 closing some legit 4* types down the road based on the big if, which is us winning enough games to be respectable.

But for right now Riley has had his team in a lot more bowls recently than we have been so that is a fair aspiration for a program that was on life support coming off the JE era.
No, I don't think that's what he meant. CU should NEVER aspire to be like OSU. ZERO reasons to not out recruit them by a wide margin.

And I do believe the 16-team conference would be great. Would put the PAC in line to be the best conference in several sports.

Texas would not wield near the influence it did in the Big 12.

Does the nature of man change? Texas exceptionalism is what it is.

Texas can try to stand up to the four Cali schools. It would not work. The PAC will ALWAYS be anchored on the west coast.

note above about BYU prompted me to consider religious school membership in P5 conferences. The ACC and the Big XII are the only P5 conferences with religious affiliated schools as members. The ACC has the most, by far -- I guess conspiracy theorists could get worked up over 3 out of the last 4 schools to join the ACC being religious schools (or 3 of 5 once L-ville gets in).

• ACC: Duke, BC, Wake, Syracuse, [Notre Dame]
  • Big XII: Baylor, TCU
  • SEC: 0
  • Pac-12: 0
  • B1G: 0 (Northwestern was founded by Methodists but my first order research is that a religious mission was never part of it's charter -- someone correct me if I'm wrong there).
Not sure if this is meaningful or not, just a trend I noted.

Difference is BYU is so much more "religious" than a Wake or Duke.

Texas can try to stand up to the four Cali schools. It would not work. The PAC will ALWAYS be anchored on the west coast.

One more reason Texas would insist upon bringing an entourage.

Texas, Oklahoma, Okie Lite, and Kansa would be great.

I think KU is tied to the hip with KSU.

Texas, Tech, OU, and OSU would probably be it imo. I agree with Duff that the Cali schools would be a good counterweight to Texas.

I think KU is tied to the hip with KSU.

Agree but that has been the case with some other pairings of schools in the past.

What may force their hands is if we see a split between the power conferences and the rest of D1 and even the NCAA. At that point a school like Kansas may be given the choice of going with the big boys alone or being left behind.

Larry Scott isn't dumb and he's not going to add schools unless they add TV value. There's just no viable options for the foreseeable future for future schools who don't dilute the payouts

You're not seeing past your eyelids.

Scott is smart and a seemingly adept business mind and innovator. But his hand may well get forced. The b1g and $ec are not gonna sit at their current numbers, particularly if the playoff model is sustainable, or even expandable. Going to 16 teams will give a conference more chances to have teams in the playoff system. This will generate more revenue, especially from tv.

jmho, I don't think the 12pac can sit idly by practicing isolationism. It could be a losing proposition. The two big questions to be answered are who, and when?

All this BS talk about UT being a good addition needs to stop right this very second.

It pains me to admit it but adding Texas (puke) and Oklahoma would absolutely elevate the TV profile of the conference. Such an expansion would deliver 2 massive metropolitan TV markets, Houston and Dallas, along with San Antonio, Austin, Chropus Christi, Oklahoma... Thats a very big chunk of change, like it or not.

This. You need to add TV profile and the only 2 schools left west of Mississippi that aren't in the Big 10 or SEC which do that are Texas and OU. If there are a 2 tag-alongs it would likely be Okie Lite and TT.

Why is there so much interest in Kansas? I don't get that one. At all. Conference expansion is all about football and TV markets. Basketball name brand means almost nothing when it comes to conference expansion.

Hokie - Syracuse does not have a religious affiliation.

It wouldn't surprise me if the b1g went after kanzazz . They could at least argue that it would help in the KC and StL markets, and it would be close geographically, easing travel burden.

Tx and/or the boomers make more sense in the $ec.

I suspect Texas would prefer the B1G over the P12. Why would Texas want to play left coast TV times, if they could get better viewership in a Central and East time zone based conference?

I suspect Texas would prefer the B1G over the P12. Why would Texas want to play left coast TV times, if they could get better viewership in a Central and East time zone based conference?

Maybe adding TX and such will help with the horrible left coast time zone stuff. If we and they are in some sort of Eastern division, I presume we wouldn't have to accommodate PT nearly as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back