What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

I don't have too many fancy connections, but I can concur this thought.

I think the overall thought is that OU and OSU are joined at the hip, and for some political reasons, it's true. But if the SEC or BIG came calling to OU and insisted that OSU is left out, OSU is left out.
Here is the bottom line for OSU. They add absolutely nothing to a conference. NOTHING. They're ok at football right now, historically have been awful. They historically have been pretty decent in Basketball...garbage right now, but have a new coach. Wrestling and Golf are where all their championships are at, and basically, who gives a ****? Wrestling is a dying sport, and golf is...well golf. So you have all that, plus weak academics, a crazy oil tycoon that wants to be Jerry Jones at the college level, and an absolute waste of space of a town. OSU is screwed.
Texas can suck a bag of dicks too. They have destroyed every conference they've been in with their cheating and greed. Forming the Big 12 was the worst thing the old Big 8 could have done. The balance of power moved south, recruiting became more difficult for the North schools. Screw the Texas schools. Right in their stupid faces.
I freely admit I have bias against these schools. I live down here and have to smell this **** on a daily basis. We don't want this stench in the Pac 12. Please, I implore you. Forget about the trash we left behind. IF...if we have to add schools, keep them west of the Kansas/Colorado state line. Add NM...add SDSU if you have to. But stay away from the crap we left...I forgot what the hell we're discussing.

:LOL:

I'm of the opinion that the land thieves and uTerus should go to the $ec.

:LOL:

I'm of the opinion that the land thieves and uTerus should go to the $ec.
I agree, they'd fit in perfectly. It would be great watching uTerus try to take the power away...and then when they did, cause...Texas, then we could sit back and watch the SEC get demolished from the inside too. Maybe that is what we should do. Every few years release Texas on an unsuspecting conference to lay waste to. Can't beat em, destroy em!

Somewhere down deep, I do have a slight sympathy for the dirt burglars being led around by uTerus, but then I just remember all the cheating they've gotten away with over the years and the large amount of slack jawed yokels that love that team and it goes away. Right now I'm enjoying the cannibalism that's going on between Bosworth, Stoops, and Sooner nation.

Yeah, they may be at the top of the list of G5s, although BSU has a more recent run to reasonably challenge them in football. Just pointing out to the kids who weren't breathing yet what a joke it was, beating 6-5 Michigan by one score in the Holiday Bowl to win the MNC.
This. UW's one loss team that year would have shredded the Mormons. Travesty.

Apparently, the deal doesn't have an early buyout. Oops.

The result is simple and painful for Longhorn fans -- Texas is trying to apply a 1991 business plan to a 2014 cable and satellite universe, the equivalent of running an offense that can't throw the football in today's spread offensive era. The Longhorns gambled that individual brands mattered in a conference era. They were sorely mistaken. As a result the fleeing members of the Big 12 -- Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri are going to end up making more money off the Longhorn Network than Texas is. If Texas doesn't start the Longhorn Network all of those schools probably stay in the Big 12 and make much less money. Instead, they bolted and will end up better off than Texas will.

The ultimate and crushing irony of the Longhorn Network for Texas fans? It's going to end up making more money for hated rival Texas A&M than it is for Texas. Link

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Simple way to look at support.

What kind of money is BYU getting for it's football games from ESPN. How much did ND get from NBC? Notre Dame got millions, BYU a fraction of that. BYU gets secondary slots. ND gets prime slots.

As to BYU being toxic because of their moral stances, that is wishful thinking from the left. Remember that the power core of the B12 is made up of former SWC schools. If Baylor covering up rape and murder isn't enough to make the B12 concerned the honor code and religious stands of BYU aren't going to get in the way if they think they can make them money.

I believe ND gets about $15m per year from NBC for 7 home games which provide about 28-32 hours of programming content. I tried to find a chart that shows what NBC is getting in terms of ratings but could not.

The result is simple and painful for Longhorn fans -- Texas is trying to apply a 1991 business plan to a 2014 cable and satellite universe, the equivalent of running an offense that can't throw the football in today's spread offensive era. The Longhorns gambled that individual brands mattered in a conference era. They were sorely mistaken. As a result the fleeing members of the Big 12 -- Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri are going to end up making more money off the Longhorn Network than Texas is. If Texas doesn't start the Longhorn Network all of those schools probably stay in the Big 12 and make much less money. Instead, they bolted and will end up better off than Texas will.

The ultimate and crushing irony of the Longhorn Network for Texas fans? It's going to end up making more money for hated rival Texas A&M than it is for Texas. Link

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I believe ND gets about $15m per year from NBC for 7 home games which provide about 28-32 hours of programming content. I tried to find a chart that shows what NBC is getting in terms of ratings but could not.
I don't buy the line about individual brands not being important in a conference era. if that was the case, Notre Dame's brand would be worthless and Vanderbilt's would be valued equally with Alabama's.

I don't buy the line about individual brands not being important in a conference era. if that was the case, Notre Dame's brand would be worthless and Vanderbilt's would be valued equally with Alabama's.
Agreed. The LHN's problem is that it has little desirable content of a team that finished with a losing record the past 2 years (and probably will again).

Did you actually read the column? The guy points out- accurately- the fact that one school doesn't move the dial enough to make a network profitable. It's not so much a matter of following, but a matter of content. No school has enough content to fill a network schedule. UT will have one or two games actually televised on the LHN this year. What's the network supposed to do for the other 5,000 hours?
LHN was another in a long line of arrogant and self serving moves by UT that has effectively killed their conference. Their hubris won't allow them to give it up, so eventually they'll be independent. Once the ESPN contract expires, the LHN will drop off the face of the earth, and UT will be in a world of hurt. No network, no conference, and no cash flow.

Did you actually read the column? The guy points out- accurately- the fact that one school doesn't move the dial enough to make a network profitable. It's not so much a matter of following, but a matter of content. No school has enough content to fill a network schedule. UT will have one or two games actually televised on the LHN this year. What's the network supposed to do for the other 5,000 hours?
LHN was another in a long line of arrogant and self serving moves by UT that has effectively killed their conference. Their hubris won't allow them to give it up, so eventually they'll be independent. Once the ESPN contract expires, the LHN will drop off the face of the earth, and UT will be in a world of hurt. No network, no conference, and no cash flow.
I did read it. The statement with which I took with issue was not explicitly referring to the LHN, nor was I.

I stand by the notion that individual school's brand still matter and don't dispute your comments about the relative success of the LHN.

Edit: more concisely, "individual brands don't matter" and "an individual school's brand is insufficient to justify an entire network" are two very different statements.

I did read it. The statement with which I took with issue was not explicitly referring to the LHN, nor was I.

I stand by the notion that individual school's brand still matter and don't dispute your comments about the relative success of the LHN.

Edit: more concisely, "individual brands don't matter" and "an individual school's brand is insufficient to justify an entire network" are two very different statements.
Ok. But the entire context of the column was about networks. I'm not sure how you can make the distinction you're making within the context of the column itself.

gzevk.jpg

And here is where the rationale for the PAC works.

Notre Dame joining the PAC would get more than they are currently getting from NBC. You could argue that they may renegotiate to a higher amount but NBC has indicated that they aren't interested in going a lot higher.

The fact that ND though can alone carry a national broadcast TV network contract says that they have enough pull with the viewing public to force carriers to pick up the PAC 12 network.

They are one of the only options out there that could take a full revenue share from the PAC12 and still increase the value for each of the teams including them.

Meh. I don't think it would work for them anyway. If they ever get to the point where they are ready to actually join a conference, the PAC 12 will be third on the list.

Meh. I don't think it would work for them anyway. If they ever get to the point where they are ready to actually join a conference, the PAC 12 will be third on the list.

All is simply speculation.
ACC would have the lead because of the current agreement and the ACC would let them call some shots ala Texas in the B12
B1G because they have the money and geography is in their favor.
PAC would be an interesting choice though because of the long history with PAC schools.

one of the few posts you've made on the subject of conference realignment that I agree with 100%

All is simply speculation.
ACC would have the lead because of the current agreement and the ACC would let them call some shots ala Texas in the B12
B1G because they have the money and geography is in their favor.
PAC would be an interesting choice though because of the long history with PAC schools.
yep, the ACC has already demonstrated that they're willing to bend over for the Irish

many who closely follow realignment will say that Notre Dame and the B1G have burned bridges and that the Irish would no longer be interested in the B1G, but I don't buy it.

many who closely follow realignment will say that Notre Dame and the B1G have burned bridges and that the Irish would no longer be interested in the B1G, but I don't buy it.
People die and/or retire. The people who replace them usually approach things with a different outlook.

I.e. I agree with you.

Notre Dame can join whatever conference they want and thinks will add the most prestigious lineup to its schedule. Hopefully it will be the PAC 12. As a private school with high academic standards, they seem to match up well with the PAC12. They do not have the academic and honor code limitations of BYU, so distasteful to many members of the PAC 12. ND makes tons of money. During football season, ND makes more in "sweat shirt" sales in a month then BYU gets from ESPN. SL tribune reported that the BYU ESPN contract is around $4-5 million. ND travels far better than BYU. Many, many Mormons either don't like BYU or are indifferent. And, despite some opinions otherwise, BYU with its current honor code policies is toxic for any P5 due to inevitable law suits and protests. BYU may escape legal jeopardy for its discriminatory Honor Code policies by depending on a religious exemption, but it is an exemption not granted to conferences. Not by choice, but BYU is an independent, likely for a long, long time. I do think conference affiliation would help ND and will likely happen with the next shake up. Hopefully, the PAC 12 will be proactive.

SIAP, but see the link below for a really long and detailed history of the first couple of rounds of B12 realignment from the Mizzou perspective (which means it somewhat downplays Mizzou's initial destabilization of the league by flirting with the B10 and may play up Texas's role). One of the few pieces I've seen to get quotes on what was going on in the B12 boardroom meetings and a pretty good piece of journalism for an article originating from a Rivals site. It has a few interesting nuggets, including:
  • Colorado made it clear to the rest of the league we were gone regardless when Beebe held the first "come to Jesus" meeting to see if they could hold the league together.
  • The TV folks seemed to know that the LHN was going to have to be treated as a "loss leader" but at the time ESPN was apparently worried about losing all the P16 / Texas rights to Fox. As previously assumed Texas seemed mostly concerned about the themselves, and consistently acted that way.
  • The rest of the league knew or believed that Texas and Oklahoma had unspoken agreements that weren't necessarily in writing but the rest of the conference was expected to adhere to, and those tended to favor the southwestern schools.
  • Loftin (at TAMU at the time) really seems to have disliked Dodds and the Texas administration.
  • Texas, TAMU and Colorado were really the only schools that fit the academic profile the P12 was looking for, so it apparently took some work to get the P10 to agree to the other schools (its been assumed this was the case but this confirms it).
  • Boren's grandstanding in the press was perceived as not helpful by his peers.
https://missouri.rivals.com/news/zero-trust-inside-mizzou-s-move-to-the-southeastern-conference

It really does make you question if Texas is even capable of being a in a league they can't run as their own fiefdom. I'm not sure the extra money would be worth the headache.

Let this be a lesson to anybody who says adding Texas would be a good idea. It's not. After reading that, I'm not sure adding Oklahoma would be a good idea, either.

SIAP, but see the link below for a really long and detailed history of the first couple of rounds of B12 realignment from the Mizzou perspective (which means it somewhat downplays Mizzou's initial destabilization of the league by flirting with the B10 and may play up Texas's role). One of the few pieces I've seen to get quotes on what was going on in the B12 boardroom meetings and a pretty good piece of journalism for an article originating from a Rivals site. It has a few interesting nuggets, including:
  • Colorado made it clear to the rest of the league we were gone regardless when Beebe held the first "come to Jesus" meeting to see if they could hold the league together.
  • The TV folks seemed to know that the LHN was going to have to be treated as a "loss leader" but at the time ESPN was apparently worried about losing all the P16 / Texas rights to Fox. As previously assumed Texas seemed mostly concerned about the themselves, and consistently acted that way.
  • The rest of the league knew or believed that Texas and Oklahoma had unspoken agreements that weren't necessarily in writing but the rest of the conference was expected to adhere to, and those tended to favor the southwestern schools.
  • Loftin (at TAMU at the time) really seems to have disliked Dodds and the Texas administration.
  • Texas, TAMU and Colorado were really the only schools that fit the academic profile the P12 was looking for, so it apparently took some work to get the P10 to agree to the other schools (its been assumed this was the case but this confirms it).
  • Boren's grandstanding in the press was perceived as not helpful by his peers.
https://missouri.rivals.com/news/zero-trust-inside-mizzou-s-move-to-the-southeastern-conference

It really does make you question if Texas is even capable of being a in a league they can't run as their own fiefdom. I'm not sure the extra money would be worth the headache.

Ya think? Texas is pure evil. We dont want them in the pac12, ever.

What about San Diego State as an option? It certainly fits the geographic profile. I don't know anything about their academics but they could probably get up to speed athletically to be competitive. Selfishly I'd rather not go east.

Back