What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference schedule - WTF?

HotRack

Rez BubbleHead
Club Member
So I finally took a close look at the basketball schedule now that the football season is done - and safe to say - I don't understand the conference schedule.

It was easy to understand the Big 12 schedule - home and away vs. North opponents every season then even split of away/home games (play twice each season) vs South opponents (play once each season.)

But looking at Pac 12 conference schedule - yes we do play everyone once, but our home and homes are with Utah (expected due to trying to force rivalry/travel partner) but the other home and homes are against only 2 other South teams (Arizona/ASU) but FOUR other North opponents (Cal/Stanford/Whoregon/OSU) what gives?

I would have thought that we would play more game against South Diviosn every year rather than North opponents. Not that I'm complaining - may make a boys weekend out of the March trip to OSU/Whoregon.

There are no divisions in basketball, so it's kind of random who we get only once every year. From the Arizona Daily Star:

How the schedule works

Under the new Pac-12 basketball scheduling formula, teams will still play 18 regular-season games but will no longer play a double round-robin.

Instead, each team will play its natural geographic rival twice every season and then skip one two-game weekend on the road and one two-game set at home. The skipped teams will also be skipped once the following season, but the sites will be reversed.

For example, Arizona will not take the Oregon-Oregon State road trip or host Stanford and Cal this season. Next season, the Wildcats will not host the Oregon schools and will not make a trip to the Bay Area.

The four teams to be played only once will be rotated and, over the course of a 10-year cycle, all teams but the geographic rival will be played 16 times while the rival will be played 20 times. Arizona will always play ASU in Tucson and in Tempe.

The unbalanced schedule could make the difference this season in a conference that is expected to have four or five teams challenging in a close race for the title.

There are no divisions in basketball, so it's kind of random who we get only once every year. From the Arizona Daily Star:

Thanks for the link, Goose. I guess except for Utah, we should never know what to expect when it comes to playing everyone else. Oh well, the Oregon roadie could be fun!

I don't remember where I saw it, but the schedule for, I believe, the full 10 year cycle was already published a while back. So if you can find that you will know exactly which teams are played home and home and which teams are played only once for each of the upcoming seasons.

As long as Utah continues to suck in Basketball we won't mind playing our geographic rival twice every year.

Back