What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conflicted

I was in Steamboat Springs this weekend in a condo that didn't have Pac12 Network. Just reading these boards and checking the stats made me sick. It's logical that 2 of the worst defensive teams in P5 run up the score to 59-56 but goddam, where was the thinking at the end? Jesus. So happy I didn't see this cluster*uck. Will be at the OR State game. Go Buffs !!

I was in Steamboat Springs this weekend in a condo that didn't have Pac12 Network. Just reading these boards and checking the stats made me sick. It's logical that 2 of the worst defensive teams in P5 run up the score to 59-56 but goddam, where was the thinking at the end? Jesus. So happy I didn't see this cluster*uck. Will be at the OR State game. Go Buffs !!
The final four plays on offense were crappy. The final play was one where our senior RB ran the wrong way. The play likely would have still been stuffed, but it would have at least had a shot.

You missed one of the most entertaining games that will be played this college football season.

We're dissecting it since we had such a strong rooting interest (and lost), but it was one hell of a fun 4 hours on a Saturday.

Buffs were fun to watch. On the road. And should have won. That's my main takeaway. The rest is just analyzing more than 99% of fans care to do.

You missed one of the most entertaining games that will be played this college football season.

We're dissecting it since we had such a strong rooting interest (and lost), but it was one hell of a fun 4 hours on a Saturday.

Buffs were fun to watch. On the road. And should have won. That's my main takeaway. The rest is just analyzing more than 99% of fans care to do.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!! I'd rather lose 7-3 than 59-56 !! GGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! But now I"m calm Nik. GRRRR….Zzzzz. Ohm..

A team that is 2 seconds away from being undefeated. Just because we beat them AT HOME last year doesn't mean they aren't much improved this year. That was the closest we have come to looking like a Pac-12 team since we got here. I understand we lost, I am mad about it, but I am mad for much different reasons then you apparently. And it feels good to be upset this time.

You actually reinforce my point. So of two teams that know how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Cal proved that they were better able to finish. Great. Really lifts my spirits.

I want so bad to pump some sunshine about this game like "we were in it to the end" but I feel the coaches continue to make poor decisions. They play so conservative which tells me that they are not confident with their team or their coaching.

The final four plays on offense were crappy. The final play was one where our senior RB ran the wrong way. The play likely would have still been stuffed, but it would have at least had a shot.
prolific offense. Gave up huge plays on D. Opportunity for a road win. Poor execution in OT. Competitive in a venue where we were beaten badly and embarased under hawk. Recruiting? Conflicted sums it up.

Plain and simple it is both Sacky. I have not been that tired after watching 4 plus hours of football in a long time. The game was fantastic to be at first and foremost and I have not been able to say that in years. Second, it was damn entertaining and the most frustrating game I have seen in a long time. That is progress and the feeling of having expectations is coming back. A nice way to feel about the Buffs.

I want so bad to pump some sunshine about this game like "we were in it to the end" but I feel the coaches continue to make poor decisions. They play so conservative which tells me that they are not confident with their team or their coaching.

Care to elaborate? As discussed there were questions about kicking from the 2, (they didn't) and going for 2 at the end of regulation, (they didn't). Seems like a wash.

I was impressed that after the late pick they let Sefo get back out there and sling the rock. In the past decade we could have seen a QB change showing no confidence or an uninspired 4 and out on short gainers. This staff is stretching the field and being aggressive on offense, and is certainly generating pressure through timely blitzing on D. I still have questions about this staff, but being "so conservative" isn't one of them.

My take after watching the game was that it was entertaining and a brutal loss to stomach as a fan. I think punching it in on the second OT drive would have been a great fast forward for the confidence of this program. However, hanging in a game like Saturday's and knowing that they can compete on the road - and finding out that every single play matters may be more lasting. I believe they dropped a game they had to have for any legitimate bowl aspirations yesterday. On the flip side I would gladly trade missing the human fund, eat potatoes, or fight bullies bowl for a 'take notice' upset later this year.

That game was awesome. First play of overtime was a strike to Spruce. That was such as amazing play. I can't stop thinking how great that game was. I am so excited for the next game.

Care to elaborate? As discussed there were questions about kicking from the 2, (they didn't) and going for 2 at the end of regulation, (they didn't). Seems like a wash.

I was impressed that after the late pick they let Sefo get back out there and sling the rock. In the past decade we could have seen a QB change showing no confidence or an uninspired 4 and out on short gainers. This staff is stretching the field and being aggressive on offense, and is certainly generating pressure through timely blitzing on D. I still have questions about this staff, but being "so conservative" isn't one of them.

My take after watching the game was that it was entertaining and a brutal loss to stomach as a fan. I think punching it in on the second OT drive would have been a great fast forward for the confidence of this program. However, hanging in a game like Saturday's and knowing that they can compete on the road - and finding out that every single play matters may be more lasting. I believe they dropped a game they had to have for any legitimate bowl aspirations yesterday. On the flip side I would gladly trade missing the human fund, eat potatoes, or fight bullies bowl for a 'take notice' upset later this year.

The lack of any change in the redzone is where I see a lack of confidence. Where is our power, big or jumbo Oline? Each game we continue to get stopped in the redzone but yet no change.Just same old S%$T. Even in Pop Warner football you change the offensive personnel when you get in the redzone. we have some big bodies sitting on the sidelines. Our starting OGs are undersized and it shows up at the goal line. This should have been developed during camp. I am not sure where the lack of confidence is but these coaches need to grow a pair and make the adjustments.

Thanks for clarifying. Seems like a valid concern - just wasn't what came to mind in regard to a head coaches confidence.

Conservative at the end? You mean when they went for the TD on the second possession in 2OT on 4th down? Cmon now.... They made mistakes, but showed zero lack of faith and heart.

Last edited:
Feels like the coaching staff has turned a corner with the players. A CU team under Embree or Hawkins would have folded after Cal scored 21 straight to start the second half. If this game was played anytime in the previous 6 years, CU would have lost 56-21.

Just listening to the gripes after this game confirms that expectations have been raised from the fan base. And expectations don't get raised if the team isn't getter better.

When I thought about the final score and looked at the stats, my first reaction was, "Wow, we have a team again". Wins are going to be tough to get for the rest of the season and we missed one Saturday. Fans should be mad and so should the team.

But if you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be averaging almost 500 ypg after 5 games my reaction would have been, "No way". I thought the defense would be the first thing to come around on this team and it turns out just the opposite. The offense has clicked and it has been its best against our Pac12 brothers.

To me special teams was the culprit last Saturday. The third quarter, with a 34yd kickoff return and punts of 24 and 34 yards really killed it for us. Their offense only had to drive an average of 53 yards per score in the third quarter. Yet we were still there for two overtimes. I can't get the Kansas game out of my head and how different the spirit of this team is.

We are also doing it with players that a lot of fans don't have much confidence in. Recruiting that a lot of fans don't have much confidence in. Players and recruits are - too small, too slow, are developmental kids, don't have enough stars or division one offers, aren't true division one prospects.

Were are doing it with a coaching staff with obvious holes. Special teams, no running back coach and a guy who is just biding his time until retirement. And lord knows we only have one coach that can actually recruit.

Conflict is a good word for it Sacky. It feels like we are getting close. Wait, we are getting close.

Aren't we?

Last edited:
We should be happy. The Buffs are getting better. Now we are seeing the difference between a no * and 2* athlete against 4* and 5* guys. Need to sneak a couple of these winnable games and the tides will really start turning. Seeing zero star athletes being put in winnable situations is encouraging, but have to fix those short yardage situations.
Once again though, that is bigger stronger athlete vs smaller weaker athlete.

Conservative at the end? You mean when they went for the TD on the first possession in 2OT on 4th down? Cmon now.... They made mistakes, but showed zero lack of faith and heart.
My concern with the coaches is that they lack the confidence to make meaningful adjustments. Similar to deer in the headlights, we continue to do the same thing in the redzone with the same results. This is big boy football and we keep taking baby steps. If you watch other programs that improved quickly it had much to do with the coaches having the gonads to make big changes and demand production out of their Coaches and Players. These athletes are men and they want to be challenged. Many of their peers are working full time jobs, in the service fighting on the front lines in the middle east and we still treat our athletes like children. I know Coach Mac is upset about this game but he needs to go beyond that and make needed adjustments or kick some coaches backside.

still think the coaches are coaching to not lose as much as to win. They are still dealing with fragile player psyche IMO. Have the baby spoon out feeding slowly and small bites. Next year the team will be kicked out of the high chair, sink or swim. These coaches are going to play the best player at given position

My wife said it best. We listened to the game while driving through the mountains wathcing the foliage change with the kids.
We were ticked that we lost, but my wife then said, "it's way better than the last few years where we'd turn the game off halfway thorugh the first
quarter because we were so over-matched."

good point.

I hate the fact we lost this game AND the ASU game...games where we played great overall.
However, at least we are showing that we CAN compete in the PAC12...and we're very, very young!
I think Coach Mac is learning what it takes to win in the PAC12 as much as the kids are.

I'm proud of how they played, but dang, to be so close is just so hard....I think we kill Oregon State this next week...I mean, destroy them!

The program is looking up, finally....and I think we're on the right track.

We're in for a huge let-down if we don't mudhole OSU this week in a game we're not favored to win.

My wife said it best. We listened to the game while driving through the mountains wathcing the foliage change with the kids.
We were ticked that we lost, but my wife then said, "it's way better than the last few years where we'd turn the game off halfway thorugh the first
quarter because we were so over-matched."

good point.

I hate the fact we lost this game AND the ASU game...games where we played great overall.
However, at least we are showing that we CAN compete in the PAC12...and we're very, very young!
I think Coach Mac is learning what it takes to win in the PAC12 as much as the kids are.

I'm proud of how they played, but dang, to be so close is just so hard....I think we kill Oregon State this next week...I mean, destroy them!

The program is looking up, finally....and I think we're on the right track.
Good point. Moral victories are for fans, and I am happy with the team's progression. Soon they will put together a full 4 quarter game in all 3 phases. Hopefully it happens against a good team Mac gets his signature win.

and you know, hindsight is 20/20...if they had scored, we would have hailed Mac's coaching call.
However, we missed it and lost. I was telling the wife before the play that you should never take points off the board in OT,
ESPECIALLY when CU would get the ball LAST in ht enext OT posession. Put up 3 and then let the D make a stop and go deeper in OT.

However, also, Oliver missed 3 FG's, so maybe they weren't feeling him at that point, too...and felt they NEEDED to score a TD.

Good point. Moral victories are for fans, and I am happy with the team's progression. Soon they will put together a full 4 quarter game in all 3 phases. Hopefully it happens against a good team Mac gets his signature win.
to be honest Mac deserves it as much as the kids do. I know he is getting paid well, but what a scary task for him to have taken on.

to be honest Mac deserves it as much as the kids do. I know he is getting paid well, but what a scary task for him to have taken on.

This.

MacII caught a meteor headed our way at full speed and a program in shambles. He is well paid, and he will need to be successful, but it is obvious he is extremely invested in CU and team success. I understand the staff frustrations expressed by many, me too at times, but the team and coaches are making progress even if execution is still uneven.

It's fine to be pissed and frustrated, but this team is progressing. I believe this team responds this next weekend and the coaches continue to get more out of this group.

(*Also shout out to Rick George because I think all of these pieces tie together. The mental side of this situation is so key and the changes underway have already had a huge impact)

"Conflicted" is appropriate for most Buff fans. We want to give HCMM all of our support but we don't want him to relax and enjoy it too much. We want him to keep it running at full steam, we don't want to settle for good. We want him to take us to great.

"Conflicted" is appropriate for most Buff fans. We want to give HCMM all of our support but we don't want him to relax and enjoy it too much. We want him to keep it running at full steam, we don't want to settle for good. We want him to take us to great.

With ya on all the above except one. I am pretty sure he is not relaxed at this moment :lol:

I am hopeful

Hopefully the offensive numbers and way we are playing offense will get noticed by the better recruits who will want to play that style of football....we need more Shay Fields-quality recruits in all offensive areas...and who wouldn't want to put up the numbers Nelson Spruce is putting up....unbelievable

Back