What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Congrats to Plati and his staff...

was a bit disappointing for Plati to actively promote the "we are the football program here in the Dal, you are just miscreant fans who don't know the real good stuff that happens here in the Dal" line of the previous coach. i get that it's his job to a degree, but it seemed like more than that vis a vis the "negativity around the program" mantra that the previous regime tried to make sound like an unfair burden foisted on them from outside (whilst winning at a clip that would be about right if you were George Brett at the plate).

by all accounts Dave does a fine job but i had a former student who did the sports/CU football show on 1190 and he said Plati was pretty aloof and cold to them. that soured my opinion of him and the powder blue "200" thing was a farce.

Plati goes out of his way to treat the national media with all the adoration and attention some think they deserve. So, I understand why Plati is very well liked and respected by the national media. I think he is not as well liked by his students and by some CU fans (myself among them) for a reason. He can come across as creepy, aloof, angry or just a flat-out jerk, depending on your perspective.

No one is perfect but I can tell you Plati is a stand up guy. I have asked him for favors several times and he has always come through...he always responds to an email or a phone call and you don't have to be a member of the press.

I don't always agree with everything that goes on in the AD and I have had a couple of complaints with Dave in the past but he does his job professionally.

No one is perfect but I can tell you Plati is a stand up guy. I have asked him for favors several times and he has always come through...he always responds to an email or a phone call and you don't have to be a member of the press.

I don't always agree with everything that goes on in the AD and I have had a couple of complaints with Dave in the past but he does his job professionally.
This^^

Not sure why people are ragging on him.

People are ragging on Dave because they're haters. There has never been a reason, whether intentionally providing misinformation (otherwise known as lying), poor fan relations, or questionable conduct in the classroom, to rag on Dave. Heck, even his chubbiness is downright lovable. Just wanna give the guy a big hug.

People are ragging on Dave because they're haters. There has never been a reason, whether intentionally providing misinformation (otherwise known as lying), poor fan relations, or questionable conduct in the classroom, to rag on Dave. Heck, even his chubbiness is downright lovable. Just wanna give the guy a big hug.

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

We've been over this before, but since we're here again, I'll throw in my .02:

There is no one in this universe who knows more, or cares more, about University of Colorado athletics than Dave Plati. I have no doubts that he is one of the best at his job in the country, and the accolades and awards that he has received are well deserved. Personally, I have always received a prompt reply from him when I have e-mailed a question.

However, as good as he is in the technical application of his job description, I think he has exhibited some disturbing tendencies when dealing with ancillary things in recent times. The Powder Blue 200 thing, his public tongue-lashings of internet scum, and his PR blunder dealing with the kid who asked for his money back are a few of the larger *****s showing up in his armor. He reminds me of the cranky old grandfather who says what he thinks at the dinner table, even if it offends or embarrasses some members of the family. In his defense, his job is to disseminate the "official" party line of the AD and the University. Sometimes, though, I think he gets put in a defensive mode, and that is usually when he gets in trouble. There is, absolutely, internet scum out there. But not every person on the webz is out to harm him or the program. I really feel like he has been caught flat-footed with the explosion of outside information sources, and since he does not have a way to deal with them properly, they all become "the enemy". There have been a lot of good ideas posted on this site on how the AD could partner with fan sites for the mutual benefit of everyone.

Bottom line for me - he is an excellent SID who does his job as well as anyone, but one who needs to be a little less defensive, and to figure out how to adjust to the times.

We've been over this before, but since we're here again, I'll throw in my .02:

There is no one in this universe who knows more, or cares more, about University of Colorado athletics than Dave Plati. I have no doubts that he is one of the best at his job in the country, and the accolades and awards that he has received are well deserved. Personally, I have always received a prompt reply from him when I have e-mailed a question.

However, as good as he is in the technical application of his job description, I think he has exhibited some disturbing tendencies when dealing with ancillary things in recent times. The Powder Blue 200 thing, his public tongue-lashings of internet scum, and his PR blunder dealing with the kid who asked for his money back are a few of the larger *****s showing up in his armor. He reminds me of the cranky old grandfather who says what he thinks at the dinner table, even if it offends or embarrasses some members of the family. In his defense, his job is to disseminate the "official" party line of the AD and the University. Sometimes, though, I think he gets put in a defensive mode, and that is usually when he gets in trouble. There is, absolutely, internet scum out there. But not every person on the webz is out to harm him or the program. I really feel like he has been caught flat-footed with the explosion of outside information sources, and since he does not have a way to deal with them properly, they all become "the enemy". There have been a lot of good ideas posted on this site on how the AD could partner with fan sites for the mutual benefit of everyone.

Bottom line for me - he is an excellent SID who does his job as well as anyone, but one who needs to be a little less defensive, and to figure out how to adjust to the times.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The real issue is he should be allowed to focus on the SID job and not get bogged down with having to wear a pr hate. They are totally different jobs requiring different skill sets. This is an old problem at CU and really is above Plati's level. CU needs someone that is focused on their messaging to the public.

CU needs someone that is focused on their messaging to the public.

i agree with that. i used to sit in the UMC mornings before i would teach as a grad student in 99-03ish and watch Pepsi trucks roll into the loading dock with DU basketball ads for season tickets on them. every one. DU didn't even have D-1 hoops again until 3 or 4 years before...out were outmarketing us around Boulder and on the CU campus.

meanwhile, one might get an email about a big upcoming basketball game (maybe the day before)...in crude yellow and purple text. like a 10 year old used 10 point font here, and 32 there to announce the big matchup.

i believe as far as the AD goes, and it was inculcated to me all through the early 90's by my pops (CU Law '77, Curmudgeon 'Always )....that CU failed (was failing) magnificently in growing the overall athletic department when it had the national stage in the late 80's and early 90's. Big-time program revenue! he would rail about it all the time. the sit and lick the sweet cream and Nike spunk out of our whiskers bunch set the tone for Tharp and his martini lunches at Dolan's, cruise on the being CU-Boulder in the mountain, hooray for us, mindset. Frankly, that's been the attitude at CU's admin level for a long time. hooray for us, get by on out-of-state tuition despite the inefficiency, drive Saab's in and out of Regents. top faculty will take a pay cut to "just be in Boulder", no reason to be competitive with peer institutions (while CU faculty can't afford to LIVE in Boulder). Friday is a ski day. whoop!

in that sense, Mike B. is a step up. lack of work isn't ever going to be Mike's deal. and i think for some amazing reason is the first of our modern era AD's to see the AD as a complete organism, if you will. that hoops is a big part of revenue.

Last edited:
I dont give a crap if he's the biggest pr(*k on the planet, look for any obscure stat about CU football and Dave's got it

So what you're saying is that Plati is a highly gifted stat monkey. I agree. He should shut the fu*k up and provide us stats when we ask for them.

Back