1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conner Wood

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by EddieCrowder, Sep 1, 2013.

1. EddieCrowder

EddieCrowder Club Member Club Member

For the first time a couple years I am very excited it's game day. I hope Conner Wood shows why he was a 5* recruit, shows us the kid that played at Houston Second Baptist, and the All-American game in San Antonio. He has been through a lot and I think we all know between UT and the coaching he got from the previous staff his ability has been stunted to say the least. Hell there is better QB coaching in Texas 5A HS ball then Mac Brown's staff or Embry's. I don't care what the score is as long as CU has 1 more point then the Ewe's. Go Buffs, lets get one and start this thing right.

2. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Connor Wood, PRich, and DD are going to show some spark, with some strong support from the guys we saw last year (Spruce, Powell, Abron, etc).

The question marks in my mind revolve more around being sound in assignment and limiting big mistakes that become gashers. I don't fear the Pro Style CSU runs nearly as much as spreading the field with a bunch of speedy athletes (next two games).

3. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

I think Wood may do well under MM, I wish him the best, and I get that a lot of big schools talked to him & offered, but this link lists the Colorado high schools that are the same size as Houston Second Baptist. This is CHSSA Div 3A, i.e. Austin Hinder @ Steamboat Spgs, etc. CHSA 3A are high schools having 600-1049 students. Wood was very very far from TX 5A football, as written about in today's Denver Post. Best to keep Sefo's helmet nearby.....

http://www.maxpreps.com/division/co...qA/football-fall-13/standings-division-3a.htm

4. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

I was shocked this morning to read a positive, fair, and comprehensive article about Wood in, of all places, the Denver Post. Even more shocking is the fact that it was written by John Henderson, the so-called Colorado beat writer for the Post. Normally Henderson can be counted on to give the buffs treatment equivalent to that which Pravda gave the USA in 1959, but this is actually a good piece of journalism, in fact exactly the type of article one would expect of a competent beat writer. I am shocked.

5. Germinator

Germinator New Member

I think Wood will step up big time this year. You can throw whatever happened last year out the window. The last staff was so terrible at coaching kids up that anybody in Wood's position would have struggled. Coach Mac and his staff are light years ahead of Embree and Co. when it comes to building up players and coaching them according to their strengths, as far as I can tell. I can see Wood becoming not only the biggest breakout player on the Buffs this year, burin the whole conference, if a few things go his way.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Not sure what the OP is talking about with Texas 5A, but I assure you that the private school division in Texas is a far cry better than 3A Colorado football..

7. PAHIBuff

Thanks for that news. Just going by comparable school sizes. If Houston Second Baptist was in Colorado it would be in 3A based on enrollment. I don't doubt that the TX coaching is better, but Wood's competition in a private religious league made up of small schools likely wasn't high. I enjoyed TX HS football when I lived there.

8. White_Rabbit

No problem, happy to help!

9. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

Most important player on the field for CU today and probably every game this season. Hopefully the new staff and his visit to the Manning Passing Academy have boosted his confidence and taken him to a new level. Go Conner.

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I think that is why it has taken him a bit longer to develop. But he has all the skills.

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Those private religious schools are in Texas, football holds a different place in the culture down there. Those private Christian schools have lots of administrators and parent/boosters who are grads of Baylor, SMU, Rice, etc. Compared to them Valor doesn't take football seriously enough.

12. White_Rabbit

Also, does it really matter at this point where he went to high school and what offers he had? He's a redshirt junior, the time is now. If we are calling for Sefo later on today, things have gone pretty poorly and we're pretty screwed this season.

13. Dalbuff

Dalbuff New Member

Texas high school football is rediculous. I went to highschool at Highlands Ranch back when there was one high-school and we had to play our football games at Douglas County. When I moved to Texas the highschool stadiums had press boxes and rivaled most small colleges. I"m not a long horn lover by any means, but they usually get their pick of the crop and if they saw someething in Connor, then that says something about his potential. Connor Wood is going to excel today against the Rams. I think with a a new coaching staff and the pistol offense....we are going to be just fine today. No way can CSU's defense contain DD goodson and P-Rich and a QB finally over 6' tall. I can't even describe how good it feels that our QB will be able to see over the OL. If our DBs can not give up the big play that break our will to win...we win today.

14. PAHIBuff

You're welcome! Actually, I compared it to Englewood, Moffat County, and Alameda. But thanks for showing me that posts can be independently edited here. Fun fact to know. In response to your later post below, WR, I thought it was interesting that the CU staff has already telegraphed that Sefo is in the batter's box and ready to go....I personally hope Connor throws for 350 yds and 4 TDs.

15. PAHIBuff

Great performance by Connor Wood !! Very poised and a quick release. Played like he's been starting for a long time.
    I'm very happy for Coach M2 and all the Buffs ! Can't wait to go up for the Cent Arky game next week.

16. White_Rabbit

Totally forgot this thread existed even though I posted in it today. :lol:

Great game Connor!

17. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Eating crow on Wood. Didn't think he could play a lick but today he threw some fantastic balls, didn't turn the ball over, and went to his bell cow (Richardson) in crunch time! Great game.

18. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

mechanics look great, stayed calm, GREAT VISION, identifying defensive breakdowns, scrambling...Wood for Heisman!

19. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Looked great.Amazing what talent does with good coaching

20. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Besides, wood deserves the toolbox

21. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

I agree, poise under fire. Finally didn't feel like it was a broken play on every down.

I was watching on a small TV. One question, was he throwing off his back foot as much as it looked on TV? (not criticism just an honest question)

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Threw off his back foot when the pass rush didn't give him time to set up normally. Didn't throw terribly when he did.

23. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

That's what I was leaning towards also. Just tough to see from the TV. Also why I wasn't complaining as even his back foot and off balance throws were still decent. A few of them had my stomach in my throat but the receivers came back towards the play and got to the ball.

24. EddieCrowder

EddieCrowder Club Member Club Member

The point I was trying to make is there are better coaches in the TX 5A HS division specifically at coaching QB's then there are on Mac Browns staff and especially Embry's staff. So Wood got zero coaching for the better part of 3 years

25. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

So nice to have a QB who can see down the field! I think this is our first true starting QB who is comfortably over 6 feet tall in about a decade.

26. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

27. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

kid has a great arm that we didn't see much of in the wash game last year because he was too busy running for his life..also helps that the offense has been simplified for everybody!