1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contrast this game to Hawk & Embree's first games.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It's not even close. Hawk - loses to freaking Montana State. The game was an absolute embarrassment. The team folded. Had zero confidence. Didn't know what to do when the chips got down. Hindsight being 20/20, we should have known right then that he was a complete fraud. A good coach finds ways to win football games. Hawkins was too concerned with getting their horns out and other such garbage.

Embree - loses on the road to Hawaii. Didn't make any adjustments at all. Couldn't figure out how to stop their quarterback, seemed lost and without direction. The players really wanted that game, you could tell. They just didn't have the tools and preparation necessary to pull it off.

Yesterday - the team has a plan. They execute the plan. When they run into trouble, they make adjustments. They scouted their opponent's tendencies. Nothing surprised them. It was beautiful.

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

We finally have competence on the sideline and in the box for the first time really since 2005 with Barnett, and to an extent when Cabral was the interim HC in 2010 for three games. So nice to see.

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

definitely a different feel to this one. Hope it stays that way.

4. OrangeBowl

OrangeBowl Club Member Club Member

Night and day

5. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

I'd go back even further to Slick Rick's first year. Barney's coordinators were no great shakes, but rather good friends and his teams were notoriously slow coming out of the blocks. It was as if the first couple of games didn't count for GB. His good assistants were tapped by other schools and CU was stuck with FOBs.

This staff OTOH, is organized and all on the same page. The team looked coordinated in coming on to the field offensively, defensively and on special teams. Two returns aside, special teams' play woas the differnce in the game.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Whaaa?

7. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

We kicked well, but I agree with you, CSU had significant returns early in the game before the two gashers that almost turned the outcome. We started squib and rugby kicking after that.

8. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

the only criticism I have of the staff in this first game is I think they should have called timeout when we had possession near the end of H1 when the offense wasn't clear on the subs and upcoming play. I think we left a TO on the table and that kind of situation can be disastrous against a competent opponent.

Other than that...two thumbs up!

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Never go full BuFfEnuf