What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cornerback recruiting

I wouldn't expect much from Harlos. Supposedly the medical staff really screwed up with his concussion injury. Plus he is way too thin right now

Actually, I think Ewing may be done with football. So that's one less safety we need to move to offense.

Just under 7 weeks to signing day. Very disappointing that we have only one verbal from a DB. This got to be an indictment on Greg Brown as a recruiter. We need 3-4 more DBs, time to make use Cabral and EB.

Last edited:
7 weeks left, I expect we'll have more than one db. Greg Brown isnt a top flight recruiter but he seems to be working hard at it this year. I think we'll end up with some good players in the db positions.

7 weeks left, I expect we'll have more than one db. Greg Brown isnt a top flight recruiter but he seems to be working hard at it this year. I think we'll end up with some good players in the db positions.

Some talented guys out there with cu on the radar. Better get a couple of them...

Man it sure does suck that all the DB's that CU was in on are already committed...wait...

Please BigBang, how can you conclude that we are doing such a bad job recruiting when we are in the lead for several of the top pure corners in the country? Even if we dont' end up signing Rios, Crawley, or Wright, the staff has been recruiting hard and well. And there is a long way to go before 2/15.

It takes a pretty exceptional eye for talent to predict that Hendersen would be capable of lining up as a freshman against Woods/Lee and virtually shutting one of them down. I think Brown is an exceptional recruiter. Consider his constraints. On the other hand, does it really take much recruiting skill if you are on the staff of USC or Ohio st?

Henderson is going to be an exceptional cornerback. He just needs a little more experience and feel to learn to look at the WR's eyes and sense the ball coming. I predict he is going to be much better than either Jahlil or Smith. He looks like another Hudson to me, if you remember him. (maybe not as good as Deon Figures, we'll see if he can improve his intermediate speed)

The other corner/db positions are a major concern. Good chance that harrington will take it over--you gotta like his confidence.

I am concerned about the LB and free-safety positions. We have some pretty fast athletes who can play safety. If we don't get Rippy, we will really be hurting for other position. I wonder if the coaches are recruiting these positions strongly. There are players on the roster who could become stopgaps over time, but we need a few more playmakers to make an immediate contribution if we are to have a strong, or even decent defense.

It was an okay post, but...

Did Henderson "virtually shut down" Woods or was it Lee? I forget... probably because it did not happen.

Henderson had a very nice true freshman year and was definitely a find by this staff. It will be interesting to see what his upside is. It may be that he's a good, solid player for 4 years but not a superstar. It wasn't that long ago that Chap Brown was the guy who played a ton as a true frosh while Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown redshirted.

Boulder is a beautiful place to visit, the close rate on DBs recruitment is poor. Kids will never turn down a free trip to Boulder. The worrying part is that these players have a good chance of playing early and still the staff is struggling to get commits. We need atleast 4 more DBs, apart from Henderson and Harrington, we have nothing at corner, the staff knew this that is why they prefered to play RBs and WR at corner. I have also heard the injury excuses on this site, the problem is the injured players were struggling during spring ball. In my opinion, we have a major crisis at the position, the staff got to do a better job.

Last edited:
Yes Henderson did. It was always Sandersfield or Smith who gave up the big play. The only play made on henderson was when he prevented a touchdown, but gave up a pass interference call. (if he had turned his head he could have got a pick). The larger issue is that he was always in their hip pocket, and that is a real acheivment as a freshman against two of the top WR in the country.

Henderson had a very nice true freshman year and was definitely a find by this staff. It will be interesting to see what his upside is. It may be that he's a good, solid player for 4 years but not a superstar. It wasn't that long ago that Chap Brown was the guy who played a ton as a true frosh while Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown redshirted.

Correct. We need to be bringing in new guys every season, especially now, who can provide real competition.

I actually think this topic is worth a revisit. Earlier our commits were more offense, now we are doing a great job with DL recruiting. Virtually no LBs and almost no DBs is starting to be concerning. I know we are in on some world-class talent-let's hope we get one or 2 of the big names and if not we are working hard on the second tier DBs.

Anyone care to put an updated list together of who is left that we are going after for DB that we have a realistic shot at?

I actually think this topic is worth a revisit. Earlier our commits were more offense, now we are doing a great job with DL recruiting. Virtually no LBs and almost no DBs is starting to be concerning. I know we are in on some world-class talent-let's hope we get one or 2 of the big names and if not we are working hard on the second tier DBs.

Anyone care to put an updated list together of who is left that we are going after for DB that we have a realistic shot at?

Here us your tip of the week. Go to the recruiting forum, go to 2012 Recruit Profile Tracker Sticky Thread and scroll down to Corner Backs....

Not a complete list at all, and you certainly can get information from the recruit profiles, but it seems like Yuri Wright and Kenneth Crawley are still in play and would provide the "star power" that a lot of folks are looking for. In addition to them, John Walker, Ryan Lewis, Marques Mosley and Jeff Hall appear to be some of the current guys we are in on. Haven't heard much about Leo Thomas, Chris Solomon, or Tyler Hasty recently, but I guess they are still out there. Jonavaughn Williams is not a target any longer apparently. Others can feel free to modify as you see fit.

Better title for the thread and concern would be DB recruiting. At CB we have Henderson coming back, Bell who was supposed to start this last season will hopefully be back healthy (I'm not counting on it,) and some other young guys. At safety we have Polk coming back as a senior and Terror as a jr. I'm not sold on him as a full time starter. We again have some young guys who have played little or none at all.

Overall I'm as worried about safety as I am CB if not a little more concerned. If you can put a good athlete out there with some insticts at CB you have a chance. Safeties on the other hand have much more complicated responsibilities and have to read and respond to a lot more stuff. They also have more responsibility in the run game.

We all can have our ideas about how things are going based on recruiting reports etc. but I am hoping for some more answers at both CB and safety.

A problem presented in the PAC is the variety of offenses that we will face. Everything from multiple WR sets to traditional sets with quality TE's to the run oriented spread like Oregon runs. Means you have to have DBs, especially safeties who can both cover and defend the run.

That's what I was afraid of......I sometime wonder how some here ever made it through college - they appear to be too clueless to even cheat!!!!!!!! Maybe they did not make it??!:rofl:
I found it months ago. I'm a compulsive reader. Reading retention is the only thing that got me through college.

Here us your tip of the week. Go to the recruiting forum, go to 2012 Recruit Profile Tracker Sticky Thread and scroll down to Corner Backs....
No offense ***hole but that is not what I was looking for. That is just a list of recruits by position. I wanted someone who is on top of this to do what lawdogg did. Give a brief summary of the big dogs we are going after and also the next in line and what our probability of getting them was.

Blackngold-what makes you even think I made it through college?

No offense ***hole but that is not what I was looking for. That is just a list of recruits by position. I wanted someone who is on top of this to do what lawdogg did. Give a brief summary of the big dogs we are going after and also the next in line and what our probability of getting them was.

Blackngold-what makes you even think I made it through college?
:lol: Softball!

I passed, but someone oughta take a swing.
Ok, just to shut you guys up before you try to ridicule me: Undergrad (Miami, Ohio); Master's (University of South Carolina)-pre-Spurrier of course; Ph.D. CU Buffs;

Doesn't necessarily mean I am on top of every DB recruit we are considering and where they stand with us. That's why I like this site, there is always someone who is a freak about this and can quote stats, offers, stars, OV dates, etc. of key targets.

Back