1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could be a lot of coaching openings this year....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BlackNGold, Nov 16, 2009.

1. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Looks like Charlie Weis is all but gone at Notre Dame...if they go after a proven HC it could open up other jobs creating a domino effect.

Virginia - will they ever let Al Groh go? I think he may actually stay.

Ralph Friedgen at Maryland - rumored to be on the way out.

Dennis Erickson at ASU - this could be interesting. The boosters are not happy with DE. This could be a plum opening if Erickson is let go.

Kragthorpe at Louisville may be in trouble...he has only been there 3 years but they have struggled. Rumor is that he will be let go.

Rich Rodriguez at Michigan is feeling the heat but I think he gets another year.

I think all the Big 12 coaches are safe except for Hawkins although the Aggie fans are getting restless.

Could be a lot of movement in the off-season.

2. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Yep, the big domino is ND. If they hire Kelly (or Stoops?) then that opens up another BCS job.

Gotta figure that the big names to fill the jobs are Brian Kelly, Charlie Strong, Skip Holtz, Chuck Heater, Gus Malzahn (if he stays in NCAA), possible one of (or both) Oklahoma assistants : Venables and Wilson, UGA O.C. Mike Bobo, Unemployed coaches Fullmer and Tuberville.

And of course some of the NFL candidates too.

A darkhorse coach candidate that should get considered somewhere: Chuck Martin, HC - Grand Valley State. He might need a "stepping stone" position first, but a school like Memphis would be wise to look at him.

3. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

You have the potential to move up candidates in Patterson at TCU (I dont think he will), Turner Gill and Sumlin. While the last two are not getting as much press this year as TCU they did manage to win at abysmal programs. Solich has also turned in a good season at Ohio potentially giving him the chance to move up.

4. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

The Fridge isn't leaving UMD. It wouln't make sense for Yow to push him out 2 seasons early when Franklin hasn't proven that hes ready to take over as HC. Ralph may be pushed out at the end of next season though.

5. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Frank Solich is 65.:lol:

He'll be moving up alright, moving up to the Great Beyond.:smile:

I wouldn't consider Houston an abysmal program, they were successful under Art Briles who built the program back up.

Sumlin might stick around for awhile at Houston, he can gurantee himself good talent yearly recruiting in a hotbed like Texas.