What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could Buffaloes Coach Tad Boyle Be A Candidate At Kansas State?

I know that sounds great and all, but did you know that Dean Smith didn't win a national championship until his 21st year as head coach at UNC? For all the success he had, he only won two national championships.

I'd be thrilled if Tad Boyle had that kind of success here. Absolutely thrilled. Just saying that Dean Smith's legend is far greater than his reality.

Two beats one but you are right, Dean Smith gets a lot of reputation based on the end of his career and it did take him a long time to get there.

Maybe we could go for a Bobby Knight without all the surrounding drama.

Two beats one but you are right, Dean Smith gets a lot of reputation based on the end of his career and it did take him a long time to get there.

Maybe we could go for a Bobby Knight without all the surrounding drama.

Dean had a run of like 15 straight years making the Sweet 16, too, iirc. They were amazing.

Dean had a run of like 15 straight years making the Sweet 16, too, iirc. They were amazing.

From a record standpoint I would gladly take a Lute, Dean, or Bobby in Boulder. Dean and Bobby also ran programs with very clean reputations and had very high graduation rates. I won't comment on Lute's record as far as graduating kids because I don't know how he did there but I don't remember him getting a lot of bad publicity either in terms of how he ran the program.

Frankly, if Tad does half as much as any of those guys accomplished in Boulder he will be head and shoulders above any other BB coach we have ever had.

Well lets check the banners.

Lute Olson:

Championships
NCAA Division I Tournament Championship (1997)
Regional Championships - Final Four (1980, 1988, 1994, 1997, 2001)
Pac-10 Tournament Championship (1988, 1989, 1990, 2002)
Pac-10 Regular Season Championship (1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005)
Big West Regular Season Championship (1974)
Big Ten Regular Season Championship (1979)

Dean Smith:

Championships

NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships: (1982, 1993)
Regional Championships - Final Four (1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997)
ACC Tournament Championships
(1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1997)
ACC Regular Season Championships
(1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1993, 1995)
NIT Championship (1971)

UUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM ... A CU resume like either of those would work just fine for me.

This notion that K-St, or anybody else for that matter, could pay gobs and gobs more than CU is preposterous. Somebody needs to tell them that anything they offer would be easily matched. Easily. Without hesitation.

Culture question for you Sacky, do you really think CU is ready to pay Boyle 65% MORE than its head football coach and offensive co-ordinator combined?

Culture question for you Sacky, do you really think CU is ready to pay Boyle 65% MORE than its head football coach and offensive co-ordinator combined?

We should be asking questions like this one.

I think we know the answer here...

We should be asking questions like this one.

I think we know the answer here...

This is my big fear. I have very little doubt that the administration is willing to give Boyle a blank check. I just wonder what the political fallout will be when CU -- which is a football school historically -- starts giving their basketball coach $2 million a year.

This is my big fear. I have very little doubt that the administration is willing to give Boyle a blank check. I just wonder what the political fallout will be when CU -- which is a football school historically -- starts giving their basketball coach $2 million a year.

I guess our football program better get it in gear then.

It becomes a lot easier to justify when you can look at a program that historically has been a money loser and show it to be a money maker, even with the coaches salary jumping up to that level.

D3H is also correct in that Tad has wins to fall back on. I have no doubt that when Embree and EB start winning a significant number of games and Folsom is sold out on a regular basis their contracts will be readjusted to reflect that.

The political fallout will be CU says "**** it" and goes private.

Guys the AD is absolutely committed to the football program. There is no way they are going to spend a quarter of a billion dollars on facilities if they weren't. The coaches are going to get all the support they need to build a winning program here and then it will be up to them to be successful. If Tad only won a quarter of his games this year, we wouldn't be talking about a 2 million dollar paycheck.

Do I think CU would up Boyle to $2 million a year to keep him? Yes. Do I think it would raise some eyebrows in both the donor base and the AD due to the culture built up over the years? Absolutely. It is what it is. Basketball is grabbing the headlines and delivering wins, but we are still a football-oriented school at heart. That mindset tends to manifest itself when you start talking about raising the basketball coach's salary in a big way.

The Fact that the main question in this thread is still in doubt saddens me. Tad isn't going anywhere people. If kansas comes calling when Bill Self leaves, we may have a discussion, but K State could offer Tad $100 Million and I'm still pretty sure he wouldn't be going there.

The Fact that the main question in this thread is still in doubt saddens me. Tad isn't going anywhere people. If kansas comes calling when Bill Self leaves, we may have a discussion, but K State could offer Tad $100 Million and I'm still pretty sure he wouldn't be going there.
Exactly. Kansas maybe, Kansas' bitch - hell no.

This thread jumping to 8 pages scared the **** out of me. Then I realized 3 of those pages were discussing the legacy of Dean Smith...

The KSucks fans are losing their minds over Gottlieb.. Love the guy on Radio, but this is gonna be a disaster.

There are two ways of looking at that. First, we are probably under-paying our head football coach and offensive coordinator. Second, the basketball program has shown a lot more success than the football program. So yes, I think it would be completely appropriate and yes, I think CU is ready to do that (at least they should be). Once our football team has the kind of success our basketball team is having, then by all means, jack up Embree's salary.

The political fallout will be CU says "**** it" and goes private.

CU is a de-facto private institution anyway. They get something like 5% of their operating funding from the state. That is nothing. However, being a state institution has a lot of other benefits, like being able to tell the city of Boulder to jump in a lake whenever CU wants to build a 20-story dorm complex. CU doesn't need the money it gets from the state. It's had to make a lot of adjustments in order to cover the reduced funding. So at this point, CU has the best of both worlds. All the perks that come with being a state institution without a lot of the political pressure that comes with it. Honestly, do you think there's a governor or state legislator who can try to tell CU how to operate at this point? They'd be laughed out of the room.

Guys the AD is absolutely committed to the football program. There is no way they are going to spend a quarter of a billion dollars on facilities if they weren't. The coaches are going to get all the support they need to build a winning program here and then it will be up to them to be successful. If Tad only won a quarter of his games this year, we wouldn't be talking about a 2 million dollar paycheck.

$250,000,000.00 on facilities? First I've heard...

CU is a de-facto private institution anyway. They get something like 5% of their operating funding from the state. That is nothing. However, being a state institution has a lot of other benefits, like being able to tell the city of Boulder to jump in a lake whenever CU wants to build a 20-story dorm complex. CU doesn't need the money it gets from the state. It's had to make a lot of adjustments in order to cover the reduced funding. So at this point, CU has the best of both worlds. All the perks that come with being a state institution without a lot of the political pressure that comes with it. Honestly, do you think there's a governor or state legislator who can try to tell CU how to operate at this point? They'd be laughed out of the room.

Yep, the CU administration has completely shot down the multi year contract limits imposed by the state, and given all of the assistants multi year deals. Completely laughed the state legislature right out of the room...

Yep, the CU administration has completely shot down the multi year contract limits imposed by the state, and given all of the assistants multi year deals. Completely laughed the state legislature right out of the room...

The current administration likes that rule. Once Benson & DiStefano move on, if the news guys want multi-year in the AD, we'll get a good test of the power balance.

Back