1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could the Big 12 teams run the Gators style of the Option?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BornRed, Jan 9, 2009.

1. BornRed

BornRed Member

Since I read where some of you CU fans are still strong supporters of Option football.....do you think teams in our conference could run the Gator's type of option football? That triple option where Tebow could tuck it and run, pitch it to the RB or flip it to the TE was really giving OU's defense fits. I personally think their style of the option kept OU guessing. Especially in the second half. Thoughts, comments? Me personally, I think it would work in the Big 12 but then again, I will always be partial to the option.

2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I agree, although you need someone very talented doing those litle pitches. Those could get turned over real easy. I love the Gators last TD with Tebow jumping to throw.:lol:

3. BornRed

BornRed Member

Yeah he has done that a few times in his career. The killer was OU covered that play really well. He just made a dead on throw to the WR.

4. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I love the option, and running game in general. It's too bad that college football in general has turned into this quick scoring passing game.

5. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I believe that Florida's particular option style is unique to having a player like Tebow. After he leaves, they are not going to just be able to put the new guy in and have the same success or be able to run the same type of offense.

However, with regard to the triple option-type formation that you speak about, I do think that you will see teams try to do more of that, but you need a QB who is not only a real threat to run/pass, but one who can withstand lots of punishment and dole some out. Tebow is pretty special that way.

As I've stated before, I think that the next Big 12 team to revert to an option/wishbone attack will have success - for example, if I were Baylor, and had 3 years of Robert Griffith to work with, that's where I would go.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

That's what makes Florida so good though, when Tebow leaves Meyer will build the offense around whatever the next guy is good at. When they had Leak in there they threw it a lot more, they built the offense around him. Tebow comes in with his ability to run and make good decisions so they went to this offense. I really wish we had coaches that would run the offense based on our strengths and weaknesses :cry:

7. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

Yeah, if they had Florida's talent

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

The option is making a nice comeback in the game. The problem I see with it is having the type of QB like Tebow who can put his head down and rush when necessary. And all the other skill players and a talented OLine. Plus you have to mix it up. UF has good WRs so the opposing D has to play coverage where as in a pure option they could play up.