1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could the High Performance Sports Center be a Difference Maker for CU?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Aug 23, 2014.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Listening to how much Mac raves about the conditioning program we have, the increased reliance on doctor's and blood testing, etc. and thinking about the new Sports Center, I am starting to think this could be the beginning of a real difference maker for CU athletics.

If we could be a real center of excellence in North America on sports medicine and physiology it could lead to better trained and prepared student athletes and could even be used in recruiting as something few other universities have. Maybe we'll even come out with our own version of Buffade?

If this thread exists somewhere else please remove, but if not, it seems worthwhile to discuss the implications of the complex on our AD and the football program.

2. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

World-class training will only remove a negligible disadvantage CU has had for a long time. Recruiting way better is the only difference maker that I see.

3. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Keeping your starters healthy is a massive first mover advantage on a new training regime. We also need to recruit better, but that doesn't make what our training regime is delivering any less of a big deal.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's a training tool.
    It's a rehab tool.
    It's a recruiting tool.
    It's a fundraising tool.
    It's a community relations tool.

In other words... it's allsome.

5. 8Jah

8Jah Club Member Club Member

You can't teach speed and size, but much can be achieved through extreme training. I think ten three star athletes can be trained into four five stars in strength, explosiveness and quickness; the other six washing out. But if a kid doesn't have extreme motivation you are not going to give it to him, and extreme motivation is as hard to find as exceptional athletic ability.

6. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

May be true but the other day I read an article on Rivals when Adam interviewed Forman and he asked Forman what his main messages are for recruits and their family. He talked about reducing the number and intensity of injuries. That he will keep their sons healthier and reduce the risk of more serious injuries.

Not sure how many of you are parents, but that message would resonate with me if he could back it up with proof which appears he can based on SJSU and CU so far.

7. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Yeah. I don't agree with roostr on the "negligible disadvantage" thing. I do agree that recruiting is what will turn things around. But I think world class facilities should have much more than a negligible effect on recruiting. But the facilities are just a piece of the puzzle.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

True, you can't teach speed, but as WB showed, you can teach slow.

9. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Wrong on three counts: You can certainly teach and improve technique to increase speed (if coaching didn't work, why would guys like Usain Bolt hire speed coaches?) and quality size can be regularly added to virtually every player. Height? Likely not, but find a bunch of TE-sized and skilled HS kids and you can turn them into what you need, with proper training. We're not talking of turning Spruce into a challenger of Bolt, just into a All Pac 12 WR. And finally, you just need solid motivation----- not an extreme level of the kind you must need to get out of the recliner or take the stairs instead of the elevator.

See: Stanford for a perfect example. A whole roster of nothing but "extremely motivated" kids? Unlikely.

10. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Untrue. He recruited slow, then didn't teach them anything.

11. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Sure, it could help. It isn't going to make us a Top 25 team, but it might help us win some recruiting battles and it looks like an asset we can be proud of beyond the success of the football team.

12. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Is CU going to barber chair, bro?
    [​IMG]

13. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'd think, with the IPF, our track and field teams will greatly benefit.

14. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Track Stanford or even SJSU!. Their experience says otherwise.

15. prf

prf RalphieReport Writer

One way that the High Performance Center could benefit CU i, if Forman is as impressive as many seem to believe, access to those facilities and potentially innovative minds might encourage him to stick around when someone inevitably tries to hire him away.

And yes, we definitely need a barber chair. I think a lot of our guys go to Aurora to get their cuts.

16. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

[​IMG]

17. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Any differentiation in recruiting seems to be a benefit. I could see if our injuries rates are lower than other schools, this could help with recruiting...especially with moms.

It also is a cool bragging for us Buffs...as if we need more things to brag about! :lol:

18. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

QFMFT