What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU class Holy ****

I think it's interesting they only signed a handful of instate kids as well.

:yeahthat: And I was pretty shocked to realize that Wyoming signed no Colorado players this year. Seems like it was a thin year in state, and a lot of kids at the top looking to get away from home.

Had to laugh seeing McElwaine's interview with Vic Lombardi tonight. He was, predictably, selling pretty hard on the idea that star ratings really don't mean anything. I suspect it's a pitch he never had to make too often at Bama... :lol:

:yeahthat: And I was pretty shocked to realize that Wyoming signed no Colorado players this year. Seems like it was a thin year in state, and a lot of kids at the top looking to get away from home.

Had to laugh seeing McElwaine's interview with Vic Lombardi tonight. He was, predictably, selling pretty hard on the idea that star ratings really don't mean anything. I suspect it's a pitch he never had to make too often at Bama... :lol:

Welcome to reality McElwain. I think he is going to learn quickly what a colossal mistake he made by going to CSU. Labor day weekend will be the next eye opener...

How much was he making at Alabama? I think he knew exactly what he was doing - if he can win anything at CSU, and with their schedule that may eventually be possible, he'll be the savior-in-waiting for some BCS program.

I would love to get CCSquared's take on the CSU class. Reasonable CSU poster with seemingly informed opinions. Did McElwain have enough time to make any impact? Did he get anyone to flip?

I don't really understand how they can be pleased with that class, but whatever.

They better have a better season next year or that shine is going to wear of that national championship ring pretty quick.

How much was he making at Alabama? I think he knew exactly what he was doing - if he can win anything at CSU, and with their schedule that may eventually be possible, he'll be the savior-in-waiting for some BCS program.
I don't think he knew at all what he was getting into, as evidenced by his yet-to-be-completed staff and his inability to hire any good coaches. They are a trainwreck.

I would love to get CCSquared's take on the CSU class. Reasonable CSU poster with seemingly informed opinions. Did McElwain have enough time to make any impact? Did he get anyone to flip?

I am no recruiting expert, but the class overall looks fairly unimpressive from a star rating standpoint. Although at the end of the day I think most give McElwain a pass on this class just given how difficult it was coming into a program that has been so down and having less than a month to recruit since the national title game. I am still more than comfortable with the staff moving forward. Both McElwain and Napier have been rated as top flight recruiters at different points in their careers and while CSU clearly isn't an SEC caliber program, I feel like full cycles on the recruiting trail should lead to better classes. One of the things I did look at was Fresno State who was in a similar position. I thought Fresno State made a solid coaching hire, yet that class looks fairly thin as well.

The thing I did like about this specific class was the balance. 10 on offense 10 on defense. McElwain seems to be building it the right way, by focusing on size in the trenches and building it from the inside out. The one comment he made that I liked is that he hopes to recruit 9 tight ends a class. While not totally serious, the point was he wants to focus on getting length and skill on the roster and then move those guys around to other positions (OL, DL, TE, FB). At a school like CSU that is what you have to do. For example, CSU will never get the 5* 6'6 270 DE coming out of high school, but there isn't any reason you can't get a 6'6 240 TE with nice feet and develop him into a solid 260-270 DE. Thats what was missing under Fairchild and I hope McElwain makes it work.

Overall, the biggest "get" of the class was probably the DT Tonga who changed his committment from Oregon State at the last minute. The kid is huge (6'3 320). CSU also added another DT Walker who was around 6'2 320. Those guys will help immediately at nose tackle and in the transition to the 3-4. The other part of this class people are overlooking and that I like is that McElwain took flyers on a couple of former Coloroado highschool transfers. RB Mister Jones (A&M) and OT Charles Ragland (Cal) both look like potential impact type transfers. I would still like to see CSU add another QB to this class and I have heard the staff is still actively recruiting a kid named Briscoe who is a 3* out of Texas.

Last edited:
McElwain added in walk-on tranfsers to his "class" to make it look less bad. And if I'm not mistaken McElwain hasn't even hired a DC or other position coaches

I can't fault them for adding some serious BEEF up front. The first step to rebuilding is in the trenches! Whether those guys can move at that weight will be interesting.

Like I've said before. I hope CSU can find a way to be relevant again. I'll never root for them against CU obviously, but I'm happy with them doing fine otherwise. I'll never hate them like I hate the Huskers.

Thanks CC. It does sound like McElwain has a nice strategy for recruiting with the "9 TEs approach". Also, Tonga and Walker are certainly some big bodies to move.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer CSU to be good. I appreciate you posting the information here. Navigating Ramnation is kind of a pain in the ***.

In a way for McElwain CSU is a no lose situation. Win, even if it doesn't mean winning the conference but just getting a minor bowl bid or two, and he is on his way to a higher profile coaching job with a much bigger paycheck and resources. Lose, and he has enough resume to go back to work for someone with a major program as a coordinator again. Either way I doubt he is at CSU in five years.

McElwain (sp) was in the same situation the Buffs staff was in last season, and didn't do as well. Of course, recruiting to CSU isn't remotely the same as recruiting to Colorado. I think, though, that given time, McElwain will do a good job.

It may work in that conference. CSU prepare for boring football.

I thought they hired a spread OC?

I can't imagine it'll be much worse then what they saw under Fairchild. He couldn't have called more then a handful of pass plays over 5 yards the last 2 games against us.

Thanks CC. It does sound like McElwain has a nice strategy for recruiting with the "9 TEs approach". Also, Tonga and Walker are certainly some big bodies to move.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer CSU to be good. I appreciate you posting the information here. Navigating Ramnation is kind of a pain in the ***.

CC is a good guy, csu being good means nothing to cu.

wow, this is actually kinda sad. I mean, they have never really been a good program, but it's sad to see a fellow colorado school do this poorly. Our shadow must be even more daunting now.

Back