What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU Pregame Thread

CU has given up less than 125 yards per game rushing and less than 4 yards per rush. I just don't get the criticism of the linebackers generally and Gillam in particular.
How many tackles did he have against uMASS? Our secondary are our leading tacklers.

really ? nobody mentions special teams ? really ??

it seems like every year a special teams break down always changes the momentum in this game ...
didn't CU give up a long kick off return right before halftime (csu had no real offensive threat up to this point)
If I remember correctly .. right after the long return csu scored on a semi-tricky play ...
that was csu's first TD and gave them momentum-

got to not give up long returns or blocked punts-

really ? nobody mentions special teams ? really ??

it seems like every year a special teams break down always changes the momentum in this game ...
didn't CU give up a long kick off return right before halftime (csu had no real offensive threat up to this point)
If I remember correctly .. right after the long return csu scored on a semi-tricky play ...
that was csu's first TD and gave them momentum-

got to not give up long returns or blocked punts-
Special teams have been a huge problem for us in this game. Crawly's dropped punt on the goalline(ish) right before halftime in 2012 was a difference maker in that game. Long punt and kick returns...ugh!

It's kind of about that. But not really

I see all these posts about how important QB play is, and I don't disagree, but why does that not apply to CSU here? They're solid on defense, and Higgins is good, but he's injured, along with a few other players, and they don't have a Qb. Why does that apply to one team only?

Great question and one that I think is valid. It is the delivery, not the message that keeps pissing everyone off. All valid points and questions I raised in the original post.
We have our issues and as you point out, they do as well. Higgins will not be 100% but I think he will be well enough to be a factor if they can get the ball to him. Our secondary scares the crap out of me. Crawly has not been what I expected and UMass was even picking on him somewhat. Walker played well and hope he can keep it up. Things settled down a bit on his side when he went in on Saturday.

If our DBs play like they did in the first series against UMass, CSU will get up early on us. They will not drop the ball that is right in their hands. We got lucky we were not down early in the game last weekend.

We will see how the QB play goes, I think we will have an advantage with Sefo. As for the running game, I think we have a big advantage here. I hope we can run it down their throats and we stay with it long enough to punish them with our Oline.

Bottom line, folks will engage with you and listen and discuss if you quit jumping down everyone's else's throat who does not agree with you. Take a breath and enjoy the discussion and do not get so mad.

Special teams have been a huge problem for us in this game. Crawly's dropped punt on the goalline(ish) right before halftime in 2012 was a difference maker in that game. Long punt and kick returns...ugh!
I believe you are thinking of DD Goodson...

And yes, ST has been, well, special, since Chuck's kid took over. I think we have all resigned ourselves to that reality.

How many tackles did he have against uMASS? Our secondary are our leading tacklers.

He's credited with 1. UMASS ran the ball less than 30 times and threw it 42 times. I would expect the secondary to be the leading tacklers.

I'm not saying the linebackers have played perfectly. Gillam missed an interception on Saturday and was beat for a TD in the passing game (though it was a mismatch, he can't be expected to cover that RB). I just think it's odd to criticize the LBs and Gillam when they seem to be playing their roles well. I haven't seen any of the real headscratchers I saw last year from Gillam and Olugbode, especially in the running game.

He's credited with 1. UMASS ran the ball less than 30 times and threw it 42 times. I would expect the secondary to be the leading tacklers.

I'm not saying the linebackers have played perfectly. Gillam missed an interception on Saturday and was beat for a TD in the passing game (though it was a mismatch, he can't be expected to cover that RB). I just think it's odd to criticize the LBs and Gillam when they seem to be playing their roles well. I haven't seen any of the real headscratchers I saw last year from Gillam and Olugbode, especially in the running game.
I wondered where the safety help was on that play.

We need to run the ball and get off to a fast start on D. The UMass game could've been closer-to-ugly if it weren't for the fact their QB missed some wide open guys in the first quarter.

I've also noticed we've dominated physically and wore them down the first 2 games. I don't know if CSU is as physical as us and I don't know about their QB. Those are the 2 big questions for me. It won't even be close if their QB is average and we have the physical/endurance factor.

I'm not really sure who either team is at this point so it should be an interesting game. It looks like CSU can play a little bit of defense, for once, so that's a nice development. However, can they score? Minnesota probably has one of the better defenses CSU will see all season, but the lack of QB production and all the turnovers has me concerned. Winnable game for both programs.
Their D is still untested IMO. Minnesota has a horrendous offense and SSU is a pretty bad team.

I don't expect physicality to be an issue on CSU's end, but a more balanced offense (CU's) and QB issues could be CSU's undoing. Minnesota has a one dimensional offense, the run game. CSU held up fairly well against it so at a base level I think they can deal with the run game, but if you can mix in effective passing playing defense gets a lot harder. I'm optimistic that CSU's defense is going to keep them in games this year. I have no clue where things stand with regards to CSU's QB and offense in general. Is Minnesota's defense that good? If so, we could see a reemergence, especially if Higgins can go and be healthy. If not, points are going to be tight for CSU. Like I said before, I can definitely see scenarios where each team wins close or even comfortably. CSU is more tested at this point, which could help, but I still feel like we know a whole lot of nothing about either of these teams.

This game normally comes down to line play. Last year we got absolutely abused on the edge of our defense. We never made any adjustments until it was too late, so hopefully that doesn't happen again.

One thing I think we absolutely have to do is get an early lead. I have no faith in Lindgren sticking with the run game if we get down. None. We've seen two weeks in a row that the run game is effective and can probably be very good from here on out. We have to stick with it and not abandon it, if we find ourselves down. I'd also like to see more of Lindsay and Carr. Lindsay has really impressed me thus far this year. He is finding the holes and just exploding through them. Carr, I think, can be the wildcard in this game. Hopefully we find creative ways of getting him the ball in space, as I think he is probably the fastest guy on the field.

Not sure what to take of our D at this point. We've seen flashes of brilliance and then complete breakdowns. It seems we are still a little confused in the secondary, at times. I'd like to see Walker starting as one of the corners. He has been solid thus far and we can't lose another game trying to play musical chairs. We have lots of depth on D, so hopefully that goes a long ways in this game.

CSU is a good team and will expect their best effort, like always. I think Mac has circled this game since last year, as he still seems a little upset on how we lost, which he should be. They have their flaws just like CU, but will be the best team we've seen thus far. Any time CSU wins it seems they get momentum going into the locker room. Let's not let that happen this year.

I won't even go into Special Teams. I just hope it is negated and we don't see a difference either way. Although, I have been very impressed with Diego thus far.

Should be a fun game. CU just needs to stick to its game plan and dictate the game. If that happens, I like our chances.

I don't know why I haven't been able to figure out how to quote, but to @Shldr2Shldr the team is pumped or the guys that I know are pumped. They were talking about the CSU game before the season started for better or for worse. I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic. I hope I don't come off as some genius insider that is better than everyone else. I just have a couple good friends that happen to be on the team. I think we will also see a trick play on our first series...

I don't know why I haven't been able to figure out how to quote, but to @Shldr2Shldr the team is pumped or the guys that I know are pumped. They were talking about the CSU game before the season started for better or for worse. I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic. I hope I don't come off as some genius insider that is better than everyone else. I just have a couple good friends that happen to be on the team. I think we will also see a trick play on our first series...

The quote function happens when you click Reply in the bottom right corner.

Not trying to make it sound like you're an insider, just know you have some friends on the team. Also not being sarcastic, genuinely interested in how they are approaching this week and this game. Would be nice to see them stay pissed off. It worked pretty well this past weekend.

Last edited:
UMass' QB and WRs are light years ahead of CSU's (save for Higgins) this year. I agree that UMass missed some early chances that could have given them the lead, but overall, our pass rush and secondary did a great job defending them.

It's my opinion but I don't foresee CSU's passing game being an issue for us. Being consistent against the run is another issue, however. Hopefully we can shut that down early and force them into passing situations.

UMass' QB and WRs are light years ahead of CSU's (save for Higgins) this year. I agree that UMass missed some early chances that could have given them the lead, but overall, our pass rush and secondary did a great job defending them.

It's my opinion but I don't foresee CSU's passing game being an issue for us. Being consistent against the run is another issue, however. Hopefully we can shut that down early and force them into passing situations.
Higgins is a good receiver. Obviously his numbers regressed last year against FBS competition, but he is still one of the better ones we will face this year. Your QB statement is true though.

The quote function happens when you click Reply in the bottom right corner.

Not trying to make it sound like your an insider, just know you have some friends on the team. Also not being sarcastic, genuinely interested in how they are approaching this week and this game. Would be nice to see them stay pissed off. It worked pretty well this past weekend.
Hey I figured it out! Alright sweet. Oh yea I am expecting a pissed off team still. I don't think the win makes them feel more satisfied. Especially the Colorado kids on the team, losing 2 out of the last 3 to CSU is simply embarrassing to them. I think you have some passionate Buffs out there on Saturday. Like you said in an earlier post, a big crowd is needed. I think CSU having more fans there last year did not help our cause. I sincerely think that a big crowd will hype the guys up even more.

Hey I figured it out! Alright sweet. Oh yea I am expecting a pissed off team still. I don't think the win makes them feel more satisfied. Especially the Colorado kids on the team, losing 2 out of the last 3 to CSU is simply embarrassing to them. I think you have some passionate Buffs out there on Saturday. Like you said in an earlier post, a big crowd is needed. I think CSU having more fans there last year did not help our cause. I sincerely think that a big crowd will hype the guys up even more.
I would think, from a mental perspective, a confidence-building blowout win for CU v. a heart-breaking OT loss for CSU favors our team. Who knows what the reality is, though.

I'll let @MontanaBuff break it down in his TIPS.

This is a big game. Do you guys think it's big enough for one of the (old) Coach Mac pregame speeches? Or would it be bad to have the players that amped up?

have to assume he will play until he doesn't ... csu won't tip their cap
I also would not be surprised to see Key start, and for CSU to have prepared him to start all week, regardless of what they're saying in the media.

I also would not be surprised to see Key start, and for CSU to have prepared him to start all week, regardless of what they're saying in the media.
Key, I think is the better of the QB's overall, but he doesn't scare me. Not enough experience back there.

8/13 91yds and 1 TD is not very good. Neither of them look like much threat to run it either.

Back