What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU stadium

I think CSU is way down in the pecking order for any kind of B5 offer? Especially the Big XII who has Cincinnati and any other of the AAC teams to offer...plus BYU. Boise State would be ahead of CSU with the Big XII

At that time, there was no where else for CSU to go. Conference USA? Stay in the WAC when all their peers were leaving? The horrible 16 team WAC had to be rebooted and the MWC that came out of it was actually better than the pre-expansion early 90's WAC (trading UNLV for Hawaii was a decent move). Just like now, no big money conferences were knocking on CSU's door. They could have begged all they wanted, but the B12 or P12 invites were never coming. Seems like now there is a slight window with the B12 at 10 teams and no CCG. And it's definitely slight. Instead of building a B12 worthy stadium w/ no Big 12 invite, they should build a much cheaper stadium that has lots of pretty pictures on how to expand if that elusive invite ever comes their way.

States like Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa are definitely a little lucky to have two teams in big conferences - I don't see that happening now when it's all about TV markets. But they also do not have a local NFL team to compete with, so the base level of support for ISU and KSU might be more than CSU could ever get in a big conference.

With the uncertainty around the O'bannon lawsuit over name and likeness (TV?) rights, and the push for full cost scholarships, it could be very hard for CSU (or many other non Big5 schools) to even field a D1 football team in the near future without a invite to a big conference. And there just won't be many of those, if any at all.

A little revisionist history is in order. This is admittedly fiction. But it is fun to pretend CSU ****s Baylor.

Let's say CSU pulled strings in Denver to force the issue of CSU and CU being a package deal. In that event, the B12 picks up Texas, A&M and Tech. Mizzou goes to the south. Baylor is the odd team out, left to wander with TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice as SWC orphans.

In that event, CSU and CU shifts the gravity of the B12 westward, and brings Mile High into the rotation to host the CCG every 6 years. Two Colorado teams diminish the strength of the Texas voting block to 3 instead. CSU's rivalry game is in conference, and opens up another OCC game for the Buffs. The Rams get on the BCS gravy train and build really nice facilities.

Baylor, (being the Baylor) pitches an Ann Richards sized hissy fit that gives Baylor a seat in the Big 12.

Then CU and CSU bypass the B12 all together, going straight to the Pac12 in 1998. At that point, Utah isn't even a blip on the P12 radar.

As far fetched as that scenario may be, this historical fiction still seems more plausible than anything CSU could pull off going forward. Today's calculus is about money in the form of adding teams that add revenue to the conference. No power conference is going to add CSU if, by doing so, everybody else's cut of the pie goes down. Adding Denver is just not that big of a carrot because Colorado eyeballs aren't going to tune into WVU / TCU and a bunch of other dull B12 match-ups.

If the B12 expands, then BYU and Louisville are favorites from the non-P5 list of candidate. Round that list out with Cincinnati, UCF, SDSU, and Houston.

The pipe dream would be FSU and either Clemson or Miami,, if the ACC could be raided.

Flanking the SEC with FIU, South Florida or Fla Atlantic would be a more profitable option than CSU. Adding SMU, or Tulsa isn't out of the question, just to keep travel costs down. I just don't see any scenario right now where Boise or CSU would be targeted.

there is a great deal of chatter down here about a UCF-USF package to the big 12. lots of tvs and would also help west virginia- they heavily recruit fla.

there is a great deal of chatter down here about a UCF-USF package to the big 12. lots of tvs and would also help west virginia- they heavily recruit fla.

That makes sense from a financial and recruiting perspective.

I think the big question is whether the Big 12 powers (6 programs in TX and OK led by UT and OU) are willing to have that much travel for their fans. It's not exactly a conference alignment that survive with all 6 of them in one division.

Big 12 "Texlahoma" Division

Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas Tech
TCU

Big 12 "Red Headed Stepchild" Division

Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia
South Florida
Central Florida

I will laugh my ass off if they set it up that way.

looking at your list, Iowa States QB is from my HS alma mater, and ksu pulls a bunch of south fla kids too.

there would be a suicide watch on ramnation if the B12 took the florida teams(or Cincy for that matter).

there would be a suicide watch on ramnation if the B12 took the florida teams(or Cincy for that matter).

Or just start in about how it will be a virtual lock for the Pac-12 or the Big 12 to go to 14 teams like the other P5 conferences. Likely a bidding war due to pressure from the other conferences to have equal numbers, so actually it will work out to CSU's advantage that they waited until the next round.

Boise State is open admission and had an AD that was breaking rules to win. Cheating wins. And if you do really win big, then the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. Do you think Alabama, Auburn, Miami or Ohio State regret any of their cheating ways?

Graham does not care about a career as an AD. He will do what's necessary to win (draw your own conclusion on what that entails).

About as much as Chase, Goldman Sachs and CitiBank care. Citi coughed up a about a 10th of the profits they made on crooked mortgages today with a slap on the hand, must be nice to be a criminal and just pay a small fine when you get caught.

As far fetched as that scenario may be, this historical fiction still seems more plausible than anything CSU could pull off going forward. Today's calculus is about money in the form of adding teams that add revenue to the conference. No power conference is going to add CSU if, by doing so, everybody else's cut of the pie goes down. Adding Denver is just not that big of a carrot because Colorado eyeballs aren't going to tune into WVU / TCU and a bunch of other dull B12 match-ups.

If the B12 expands, then BYU and Louisville are favorites from the non-P5 list of candidate. Round that list out with Cincinnati, UCF, SDSU, and Houston.

The pipe dream would be FSU and either Clemson or Miami,, if the ACC could be raided.

Flanking the SEC with FIU, South Florida or Fla Atlantic would be a more profitable option than CSU. Adding SMU, or Tulsa isn't out of the question, just to keep travel costs down. I just don't see any scenario right now where Boise or CSU would be targeted.

Remember that Louisville is in the ACC now.

rio tinto as a model

Estimated 114 mil 2014 build cost with 20 k capacity. Build something similar with capacity to scale up if and when needed.

The thing is, CSU students and alums deserve better than Hughes in its current state. Well, you get what you deserve, so they need to fund it... but I think you know what I mean.

A reasonable stadium on the campus would be so much better than spending the same kind of money to upgrade Hughes. And leaving Hughes as it is would be awful.

So I'm rooting for CSU to pull together funds for a stadium. I just want it to be the right size stadium for their needs and not some bankruptcy-inducing thing that chases the fantasy of a P5 invite.

"One thing is for sure, CSU has raised more than CU, and will break ground before CU."

circa a couple months ago. Oops

Well now they have the money to put pavement and shrubs in the parking lot. CSU stadium essentials.

the big question is how much money is Captain Jack going to spend of his own money ?

The good news is the enormous coaching salaries that they are paying in football and basketball are easily sustainable with their revenue stream in the MWC.

How much annually is their athletic department upside down after they hired all of the SEC guys? At some point the President up there is going to waive a white flag. His job goes on the line when they are spending tax dollars into a black hole. I hope they see my earlier post on the Rio Tinto stadium as a model. I want them to succeed, but when bowl seasons drive 20K fans, I can't formulate a viable alternative for them. I am happy they hadn't broken ground without he funding in place and caused a financial crisis. Good for their President that he or she had the foresight to require the money in the bank in advance of the spend.

It is crazy how so many of their fans indicated emphatically that the money was already raised a couple years ago. It is also strange how the school allows these fictions to continue to fester. Seems like hard facts wouldn't hurt their capital campaign?

So in 2 years of fundraising CSU has raised $40mil. Not bad at all. Problem is they need a third of the construction cost like we did to begin the project. Their projected cost is over $300mil! At the current pace it will take them another 4 years. IF it doesn't lose steam by then. They need to drastically reduce the scope of this project if they are ever going to get anywhere.

I'd contribute to their fundraising.... like $10/lb for fresh carved Lamb chops, or maybe something at their bake sale !!

So in 2 years of fundraising CSU has raised $40mil. Not bad at all. Problem is they need a third of the construction cost like we did to begin the project. Their projected cost is over $300mil! At the current pace it will take them another 4 years. IF it doesn't lose steam by then. They need to drastically reduce the scope of this project if they are ever going to get anywhere.

I agree, except Tony Frank put a deadline of October to have the fundraising completed.

I'm still not sure how they will pay the remaining 2/3. No tv money of any significance, unless they secure a spot in the P5. There's no way concert/event revenue could make up that shortfall.

I'd like to see them get it built and $40 mil is nothing to sneeze at, but what is the end game here? I guess just trying it get a P5 slot. But what if that doesn't happen? How will they pay for this toy? They definitely better keep fundraising past the 2/3 goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back