What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU's pre-spring depth chart

The RMS is about as contrived of a "big game" as there is. Invesco sucks as a venue, CSewe isn't a real opponent for the Buffs and it is usually attended by some sideshow circumstance (tear gas, crack of dawn start time, brutally hot weather, monsoon rains with lightning, body cavity searches upon entering stadium). I won't go to Invesco. Sorry, I sit at home and watch.

The RMS is about as contrived of a "big game" as there is. Invesco sucks as a venue, CSewe isn't a real opponent for the Buffs and it is usually attended by some sideshow circumstance (tear gas, crack of dawn start time, brutally hot weather, monsoon rains with lightning, body cavity searches upon entering stadium). I won't go to Invesco. Sorry, I sit at home and watch.

My Dad is in the same boat. He won't go to the game. This is a guy who's been to just about every home game at CU since 1970. I can't quite bring myself to that level, but I'm getting there. The Invesco experience is pure sucktitude.

My Dad is in the same boat. He won't go to the game. This is a guy who's been to just about every home game at CU since 1970. I can't quite bring myself to that level, but I'm getting there. The Invesco experience is pure sucktitude.

I'm there with you. I can't bring myself not to go to the game but I hate it when I'm there. I had great seats last year. 5 rows up on the 30 yard line but it still felt like I was miles away from the game.

Invesco=6 Flags Elich Gardens (new shiny supposed to be great but isn't)

Folsom = Old Eliches. (Not as much of the newer things like seat backs etc but lots of character and fun)

I'm there with you. I can't bring myself not to go to the game but I hate it when I'm there. I had great seats last year. 5 rows up on the 30 yard line but it still felt like I was miles away from the game.

Invesco=6 Flags Elich Gardens (new shiny supposed to be great but isn't)

Folsom = Old Eliches. (Not as much of the newer things like seat backs etc but lots of character and fun)

Hughes = Lakeside. (When the rollercoaster shot into the lake and everyone died)

fify

A few more years of bad attendance and the Mile High commission will want to drop this like a hot potato. It was embarrassing last year. They announce something like 68,000 and I doubt they had 45000. CSU could not of had 15000 in there section. I think the sponsors took note.

The problem is that they are two seasons into a 10 year contract between CSU and CU. I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that the Denver Sports Commission or other sponsorships are not a part of the agreement and have little to no impact one way or another.

Honestly, as a CSU fan I would not mind seeing the game go by the wayside. However, I just don't think that is going to happen. CSU will not be willing to mutually end the series and CU likely could not afford to pay CSU the accelartion/penalty clauses walk away from the contract at this point.

Like I have said before. I am just hoping that both programs can get back on track to make this game meaningful again. I don't think there are a lot of other options out there.

Last edited:
The problem is that they are two seasons into a 10 year contract between CSU and CU. I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that the Denver Sports Commission or other sponsorships are not a part of the agreement and have little to no impact one way or another.

Honestly, as a CSU fan I would not mind seeing the game go by the wayside. However, I just don't think that is going to happen. CSU will not be willing to mutually end the series and CU likely could not afford to pay CSU the accelartion/penalty clauses walk away from the contract at this point.

Like I have said before. I am just hoping that both programs can get back on track to make this game meaningful again. I don't think there are a lot of other options out there.

No offense, but this game was never meaningful to Colorado. Beating CSU when you then go into conference to play Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Oregon, Stanford doesn't mean ****.

No offense, but this game was never meaningful to Colorado. Beating CSU when you then go into conference to play Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Oregon, Stanford doesn't mean ****.

No offense taken. Maybe it hasn't been as meanigful to Buff fans, although I am sure some fans outside of you would disagree. However, the game has had implications on a national level before when one or both teams have been ranked coming into the game. I think that is the best we can hope for at this point to make the game experience better.

Also, you can't totally discount the MWC conference's impact on CSU's schedule either. Not being from Colorado originally and based on where Colorado has been under Hawkins, I have been in the past or am looking forward to games with teams like Boise State, TCU, Air Force, Utah etc just as much if not more. The RMS is just not where it was.

Last edited:
I don't understand why your are so thin skinned about CSU in general. My comment about Brown wasn't meant to be a dig at the Buffs at all. More a comment on an in-state kid that looks like he could have a nice career. The same can be said for guys like Mustoe and others in CU's class.

I find it ironic that someone who professes over and over again that he could care less about CSU spends a large amount of time on their message board and takes every opportunity possible to say how much he hates the "lambs".

Don't confuse caring with hate. You sheep trash CU every chance you get. You act like your board is some mystical place that you have to fly 30,000 miles into space to get to. It's a click. I find it funny that you are here kissing buff butt.

No offense taken. Maybe it hasn't been as meanigful to Buff fans, although I am sure some fans outside of you would disagree. However, the game has had implications on a national level before when one or both teams have been ranked coming into the game. I think that is the best we can hope for at this point to make the game experience better.

Also, you can't totally discount the MWC conference's impact on CSU's schedule either. Not being from Colorado originally and based on where Colorado has been under Hawkins, I have been in the past or am looking forward to games with teams like Boise State, TCU, Air Force, Utah etc just as much if not more. The RMS is just not where it was.

Csu's been ranked? You also looking forward to games like san jose state, utah state,UNC, utep? Btw, utah joined the pac 12....

This comes from someone who has spent a lot of time on campus in Ft. Collins. I have a masters from there.

Most CSU fans live for one thing, to beat CU. When they lose, which is the majority of the time they suddenly become very quiet. Their season is over for all practical purposes. Yes they will talk about MWC games and AFA and BYU and the big rivalry with Wyoming but CU is the game they really care about.

If they win they become insuferable. CSU clothing, banners, bumper stickers, etc. everywhere. They forget all the history and even the current circumstances and strut around like a kid in his dad's work clothes. What they don't get, because they don't want to get it, is that CU has bigger goals in life. Under Hawkins CU was a long ways away from those goals but in the grand scheme of things a game against a lower end MWC team doesn't inspire the same passion as a game against a perpetual top 25 program with the potential for BCS bowl bids on the line and yes even the real hope of getting another national championship.

I wish CSU well in most of their games and I do respect a certain number of their fans who understand the place CSU holds in the world of college athletics and who truly desire their team to maximize their potential in that place.

Unfortunately to many of the rest are the ones who want to think/pretend that CSU is a big time program despite being at or near the bottom of a mid-major conference in attendance, football revenue, football funding and being one of the losingest D-1 programs of all time.

The only reason CU plays CSU now every year is because of pressure put on by certain pro CSU politicians who wanted a CU game to feed their fantasies and to provide a funding subsidy to the program since the game makes a major difference in CSU football revenues even with CU getting the larger share.

Mtn: When did you attend CSU? I think there was some truth to what you are saying back in the late 90's and early 2000's. However, things changed for me anyway when the top end of the MWC began consistently competing for annual BCS games, undefeated seasons and were part of the national title conversation.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would have traded a potential win over CU last season for a win over eventual Rose Bowl champ, TCU, handsdown. A win of that caliber would have been arguably the biggest win in school history. The same can be said about the game against Boise State this season. This years Boise State team may be he best squad to ever come through Ft. Collins (outside of possibly the 1984 BYU squad) complete with a bona fide heisman candidate under center. I would do anything for a win of that magnitude.

Last edited:
CSU will NOT beat BSU this year, or in the next few years...CSU also won't win more than 4 games this year or the next year or the year after that. I wish for nothing but bad onto CSU and I hope they get beat by 100 ad go 0-12.

I go to the game and hate the environment. I go because I like to see CU play but I hate being held hostage and now you have to pay premiums to get decent seats, even if you donate at a high level for your seats in Boulder. Top that with the fact that this year they are even forcing you to buy the parking pass, not an option. We take the train so if anyone needs a pass this year, I will have one. This series is painful on so many levels and being played in Denver makes it that much worse.

Csu's been ranked? You also looking forward to games like san jose state, utah state,UNC, utep? Btw, utah joined the pac 12....

CSU has been ranked four time coming into the RMS since they renewed the game in 1995. And yes I am looking forward to all the games. I haven't missed a game in Fort Collins in nearly four years.

CSU has been ranked four time coming into the RMS since they renewed the game in 1995. And yes I am looking forward to all the games. I haven't missed a game in Fort Collins in nearly four years.

Well, i'm sure they'll be plenty of seats to choose from....

Does anyone know if or where you can access the new 10-year contract between CSU and CU? I assume this is public information given that both are public universities?

if anyone needs a pass this year, I will have one.

I may be interested. While I agree with you that the venue is craptacular, there's a chance I'll have a fairly large contingent this year and we may be in the market for an extra parking pass.

Mtn: When did you attend CSU? I think there was some truth to what you are saying back in the late 90's and early 2000's. However, things changed for me anyway when the top end of the MWC began consistently competing for annual BCS games, undefeated seasons and were part of the national title conversation.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would have traded a potential win over CU last season for a win over eventual Rose Bowl champ, TCU, handsdown. A win of that caliber would have been arguably the biggest win in school history. The same can be said about the game against Boise State this season. This years Boise State team may be he best squad to ever come through Ft. Collins (outside of possibly the 1984 BYU squad) complete with a bona fide heisman candidate under center. I would do anything for a win of that magnitude.

I was full time in the late 80's early 90's. I am still on campus for continuining ed as well as for some other work related stuff of a fairly frequent basis.

I have no doubt that you would trade a CU win for a TCU win or a win against Boise. A number of others in the small core of serious CSU fans that actually stick with the program outside of one game a year would agree with you. The trouble is the vast majority of the CSU "fanbase" for lack of a better term don't even know who TCU or Boise are. They become "big" CSU fans only in the rare years when CSU wins the CU game and hide in the woodwork the rest of the time.

You can talk about the improved level of play in the MWC and as far as the top of the conference you would be correct. TCU, Utah, BYU (all leaving) have earned at least a place in the discussion along with Boise (entering). Nevada may be the next mid-major building a solid program to be able to contend, at least on a one game basis, with the top teams in the country. This all still doesn't change the fact that CSU and the bottom half of the MWC is still minor league. CSU's average home attendance last year at Hughes was around 22k, this with ticket prices a little under 50% of those in Boulder for a team that sucked and still averaged over 45k. Wyoming has had a hard time averaging over 20k, UNM with a monopoly on the Albequerque sports market was about 25k, UNLV well under 30k.

CSU fans don't come out for anything other than the CU game. They failed to reach 30k for a game against a Cal team ranked in the top 10 a couple of years ago. Their biggest home crowds are against BYU, AFA, and Wyoming but the stadium for those games is almost a road game. CU fans bitch about 10k fans from Nebraska in a stadium with 40k+ from CU, CSU fans don't think anything of having 20k in green and 12k+ in blue or puke brown and gold.

CsquaredCC, I respect your enthusiasm for your team. As I stated I generally hope that CSU does well and probably follow them more closely than most of their "fans" do. I am also realistic about who and what they are. CU is not a perpetual national power. One look at the funding and emphasis that schools like Texas, OU, the top BigX, virtually all the SEC, and others put in compared to CU resources shows that. At the same time CU is one of the top 30 in revenue generated and CU does have a legit shot at major bowls and even the national championship. CSU, despite the wishes of that small core of fans will never exceed what they did under Sonny (national #14 and win the league) and with changing circumstances that may not even be possible. I sometimes wonder if CSU would not be much better of to accept who they are and step down to an FCS level where they can compete on an even basis.

In the mean time, despite protestations of the limited number of serious fans they have such as yourself, for the huge portion of CSU fans the CU game is the season, the reason, and the dream.

I may be interested. While I agree with you that the venue is craptacular, there's a chance I'll have a fairly large contingent this year and we may be in the market for an extra parking pass.

Let me know as we get closer. I will not use it.

CSU fans don't come out for anything other than the CU game. They failed to reach 30k for a game against a Cal team ranked in the top 10 a couple of years ago. Their biggest home crowds are against BYU, AFA, and Wyoming but the stadium for those games is almost a road game. CU fans bitch about 10k fans from Nebraska in a stadium with 40k+ from CU, CSU fans don't think anything of having 20k in green and 12k+ in blue or puke brown and gold.

I generally agree with your analysis of CSU's attendance, which has seen a drastic and sustained drop since 2005. However, having gone to every home game in the Fairchild era, I think the fans are hungry for a winner and will start to turn out again as long as the program starts to show signs of life. In fact, last season nearly 31,000 came out for the game against a bad UNLV team and I think I could count the number of UNLV fans in the entire stadium on one hand. The Cal game in 2007 was bad, but that was also towards the end of Sonny's run and I think the program was on an 8 game losing streak coming into that game. I think the Bosie State game will be a packed house this year and I wouldn't be suprised if it approaches the attendance mark of nearly 40,000 for a Utah game back in the '90's. My guess is the home opener against Northern Colorado is good draw this season and games against Wyoming and Air Force to finish the year will be fairly well attended games.

Open invite to any of you wanting to tailgate and attend the game on October 15 against Boise State in the Fort with me. If nothing else, it would be a good chance to see Kellen Moore in person.

Last edited:
Ya you guys are balling with your one game over 30k. Only 22k showed up for a #5 TCU team. And not to mention multiple other games under 20 k. FAIL

The 1996 CU team that came to Ft. Collins was pretty damn good. 10-2 that year and a top 10 finish. Our two losses that year to Michigan and Nebraska (who would each share the national title the next year ironically) were by a combined 12 points.

That was probably our last year we were a legit national title contender with the exception of the 2001 team.

Last edited:
The 1996 CU team that came to Ft. Collins was pretty damn good. 10-2 that year and a top 10 finish. Our two losses that year to Michigan and Nebraska (who would each share the national title the next year ironically) were by a combined 12 points.

I was at the game in '96. I think that '96 CU team compares favorably to the 2008 TCU team that came through Fort Collins and went 10-2 with losses to # 2 Oklahoma and a three point loss to an undefeated Utah team at Utah. Which turned around and spanked Alabama. TCU also finished in the top 10 at the of the year.

The 2010 TCU team was as good as I have ever seen come through Fort Collins last season and ended up undefeated and #2 in the country. That TCU team is the only team I have even heard compared to the '84 BYU team which most of the old timers claim is the best and won a national championship that season.

Last edited:
Back