What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU 2011 Verbal Commitments

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

A look at those players who have said they will sign with Colorado on National Letter-of-Intent Day, Wednesday, February 2nd.

Nelson Spruce – WR

Just the facts … Committed December 18th … Spruce is a wide receiver prospect from Westlake High school in Westlake Village, California. He is 6′2″, 195 pounds, and runs a 4.5 in the 40. Spruce has a 3.8 GPA.

What others say about Spruce … Nelson Spruce is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. Spruce is the 94th-best wide receiver prospect in the nation, according to Scout.com. In his senior year, Spruce had 73 receptions for 1,292 yards and 18 touchdowns. A two-way starter, Spruce was named his league’s Defensive back-of-the-year, with 31 tackles and three interceptions.

Mustoe had other offers from … at least a dozen schools, including Washington State, Hawai’i, Air Force, Colorado State, and Northwestern. Spruce will take his official visit to Colorado January 14th. He had discussed taking an official visit to Hawai’i before he announced his commitment, but it is unclear as to whether Spruce will still take that visit. Spruce’s head coach, Jim Benkert, speculated that Spruce did not receive more BCS offers because Spruce played baseball this past summer, instead of going to summer camps. “He has been a three-year starter for us,” Benkert told BuffStampede.com. “He played safety, corner, inside and outside receiver … he returned punts, kicks, never left the field … We played 14 games this year, and he probably played past halftime in four games. So his numbers, not only are they impressive, but considering he didn’t play in the second half in probably ten of those games, that tells you how dynamic a player he is.”

In his own words … “I’ve been talking to Coach Embree a lot, and he seems like he has the program going in the right direction,” Spruce told Rivals.com when he committed, “so I wanted to be a part of it.” Being able to return to California to play also played a role. “That’s one of the many things that attracted me,” said Spruce. “I’ll be able to come back to California, so that was a big part of it.” Spruce has yet to make his official visit, but it looking forward to seeing Boulder on January 14th. “I just want to get a feel for how the players are and how the atmosphere of the school is,” said Spruce. “I have heard a lot of great things about Boulder, so I am sure that it will go well.”

Marc Mustoe – OT

Just the facts … Committed December 11th … Mustoe is an offensive line prospect from Arvada West High school in Arvada, Colorado. He is 6′7″, 273 pounds, and runs a 5.3 in the 40. Mustoe has a 4.0 GPA.

What others say about Mustoe … Marc Mustoe is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. Mustoe is ranked as the 5th-best overall prospect in the state of Colorado. Mustoe is ranked as the 55th-best offensive tackle in the nation by Rivals, and the 32nd-best offensive tackle by Scout.com.

Mustoe had other offers from … at least five other Pac-12 schools, including Cal, Arizona, UCLA, Arizona State, and Utah. Mustoe also had offers from Louisville, Notre Dame, and Kansas State. Mustoe was an early commit to UCLA (June 23rd), but changed his commitment after Jon Embree was hired as the new head coach at Colorado.

In his own words … “I visited UCLA (on June 22nd), and got a chance to see the campus for the first time and it was awesome. I committed (that night),” said Mustoe last summer. “I told Coach (Bob) Palcic and Coach (Rick) Neuheisal, and they were*pretty fired up … I was leaning to leaving Colorado, and going someplace out-of-state for school”. After meeting with Jon Embree, however, Mustoe changed his mind, and his commitment. Mustoe told PrepColorado.com that the “program at Colorado is looking up”, and that he wanted to be a part of it. Mustoe was particularly impressed with Embree. “He bleeds Colorado. He went to Cherry Creek, played at Colorado, was a coach at Colorado, and now he is the head coach … Coach Embree has a vision of making the program what it once was.”

Alex Kelley – C

Just the Facts … Committed October 4th … Kelley is an offensive line prospect from Vista High school in Vista, California. He is 6′3″, and weighs*295 pounds.

What others say about Kelley … Alex Kelley is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. Kelley is listed as the 22nd-best center prospect in the nation by Scout.com. Kelley was an all-league player for the Vista offensive line, and is also an all-league wrestler. Kelley helped Vista to a 12-1 record and a CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship. In the title game, the Panthers gained 313 yards rushing.

Kelley had other offers from … Boise State, Minnesota, San Jose State, Nevada, San Diego State and New Mexico State. Kelley also had interest from Iowa State, USC, Kansas and*UCLA. Kelley took only one official visit, to Colorado for the Georgia game, and committed that weekend.

In his own words … Kelley committed to Colorado when Dan Hawkins was still head coach. Though Kelley had ties to Colorado (his father, Karry,*played along the CU offensive line from 1976-79), the change in regimes gave Kelley pause. “(Interim head coach Brian) Cabral said they still want me 100 percent, and I am still one of their main guys,” Kelley told BuffStampede.com on December 10th. “I am still taking a wait-and-see approach. I still haven’t decided where I am going from here.” After hearing from new head coach Jon Embree, though, Kelley stayed with the Buffs. “I didn’t know who Colorado was going to hire, and I was worried they might not get the right person,” said Kelley. “But now I have gotten a chance to talk to coach Embree for a good amount of time, I know I am going to Colorado now … They said I would fit in perfectly with their offense since I absolutely love to run block. They said they are going to do lots and lots of running and that got me excited.”

Brady Daigh – LB

Just the Facts … Committed July 19th … Daigh is a linebacker prospect from Mullen High school in Denver, Colorado. He is 6′2″, 230 pounds, and runs a 4.7 in the 40.

What others say about Daigh … Brady Daigh is considered to be a three-star prospect by both Rivals and Scout. In the Rivals.com final rankings of Colorado prep players, Daigh moved up from a No. 10 preseason ranking to a No. 3 final ranking based upon a strong senior season. In 2010, while helping Mullen to a third-straight 5A state championship, Daigh recorded 141 tackles and five sacks, adding two interceptions and two fumble recoveries.*Daigh is considered the 33rd-best at his position in the nation by Rivals; the 32nd-best in the nation by Scout.

Daigh had other offers from … Colorado State, Wyoming and*North Dakota all offered Daigh, who also had interest from Kansas State, Arizona State, Cal, Baylor, Nebraska, TCU, and Utah. Daigh would likely have received offers from several of these other schools had he not committed to Colorado so early (July 19th).

In his own words … Daigh never waivered from his early commitment, even after Dan Hawkins was fired in November. “I could kind of see it coming, but I like (Hawkins) as a coach,” Daigh told BuffStampede.com*in November. “The program is going in a different direction, and I am fully committed to them. I’m solidly behind them.” After Jon Embree was hired, Daigh met with him in December. “I liked him a lot,” said Daigh of Embree. “Coach Embree said they want to run an aggressive defense, attack the offense, and make the offense react to them, which I like … They didn’t really mention specifics, but said they will be playing 4-3 mostly. It is what I am used to, so I am excited to play in that*type of defense.”

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to view the article.

Back