What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU adding Fresno St. to 2011-13 football schedules

Fresno state plays anyone anywhere - Pat Hill is still hanging around. I would not overlook tham at all. This may be a tough game but who knows in 2011. I wish they would have taken a deal with Boise State - that would generate some interest and back stories.

Come on man. I'm not that scared of teams like LSU. Bring 'em on.

I'm not scared of LSU. I'm just saying let's build something first. It does not matter if you go to LSU and lose by 7 if you lose the next game to ISU buy 10. Rebuild a winning RANKED program then worry about LSU. Going 7-5 and saying hey we almost had em doesn't cut it. Go in to Baton Rouge with something for them to think about and kick some ass.

I'm not scared of LSU. I'm just saying let's build something first. It does not matter if you go to LSU and lose by 7 if you lose the next game to ISU buy 10. Rebuild a winning RANKED program then worry about LSU. Going 7-5 and saying hey we almost had em doesn't cut it. Go in to Baton Rouge with something for them to think about and kick some ass.

I would hope that by 2011 we'd already be ranked. It's not like we were going to play them this year.

Half the teams you mentioned are not mid-majors. Duke? Vanderbilt? Come on.
You're right. CU should not be worried about making more money off of home games. It's more important that some diehard fans really want to go to LSU.:lol: Why is the CU AD so worried about making money? We're absolutely rolling in the stuff!

Bohn was hampered some by ASU changing future game dates as well. You can call it rationalizing, but it's not like Bohn had an easy decision to make here. There are plenty of great dates on the future schedule (and LSU just might end up being on there). There will be more good teams added.
I'd note that nothing in this thread serves as any kind of glowing endoresement for a series with the Bulldogs. The 'mid major' and money associated with 2-1 arrangement is your focus. BTW, what qualifies as a mid-major misses the point. The emphasis is that there are lots of other programs out there that would make a more attractive 2-1 series opponent, and are just as easy or easier than playing Fresno, yet more appealling on a number of different levels.

BTW, the last time CU played LSU in Baton Rouge was 1980, so this is really a once in a generation deal that not many CU fans have ever experienced. Now it is indefinately postponed.

By comparison, CU has faced Fresno during the regular season in '88, '98 and a disappointing outing in '01 that cost CU dearly, and probably more than this upcoming 2-1 series will recoup.

Once all the ticket sales, TV contracts and bowl implications, and alumni goodwill are sorted out, my back of the envelope guess is <$2.2M realized over 3 years, assuming CU generates $80m revenue over three years with LSU home-home, versus $82m over the same period with the benefit of the extra home game. That's less than Barnett buy-out money.

I agree that there are some nice opponents coming up in the next few years with WV, Cal, Georgia and Hawaii. It's just that the 2011 season OOC has been downgraded from 'Epic' to 'adequate.'

I agree that there are some nice opponents coming up in the next few years with WV, Cal, Georgia and Hawaii. It's just that the 2011 season OOC has been downgraded from 'Epic' to 'adequate.'

You're free to think we should still be playing LSU, but to call that slate merely "adequate" shows you have some incredibly high standards IMO. The schedule definitely downgraded with LSU gone, but it's still a good schedule.

A home schedule with Cal, Fresno State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska is pretty damn good. That's the type of schedule that gets people in Folsom. Add in a potential game with CSU to fill out the last opening in the schedule and that gives in-staters 7 chances to see the Buffs. That's pretty cool.

Last edited:
dbl post.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're free to think we should still be playing LSU, but to call that slate merely "adequate" shows you have some incredibly high standards IMO. The schedule definitely downgraded with LSU gone, but it's still a good schedule.

A home schedule with Cal, Fresno State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska is pretty damn good. That's the type of schedule that gets people in Folsom. Add in a potential game with CSU to fill out the last opening in the schedule and that gives in-staters 7 chances to see the Buffs. That's pretty cool.

The 2011 home schedule only a part of the equation. It's the 2012 and 2013 dockets with CSU, Minny and Utah and FrSU where the ho-hum OCC schedule really comes into play. With the B12 opponents, there is enough quality that you can pretty much count on having two or three sound games with ranked opponents.

This scheduling talk always cracks me up..

LSU - 2007 BCS champ
2007 Non-conference schedule:
Virginia Tech (home game)
Middle Tennessee State (home game)
Tulane (home game)
Louisiana Tech (home game)

Florida- 2006 BCS champ
2006 Non-Conference Schedule:
Southern Mississippi (home game)
Central Florida (home game)
Western Carolina (home game)
Florida State (home game)

Texas- 2005 BCS champ
2005 Non-conference schedule:
Louisiana-Lafayette (home game)
Ohio State (road game)
Rice (home game)

USC- 2004 BCS champ
2004 Non-conference schedule
Virginia Tech (road game)
Colorado State (home game)
BYU (road game)
Notre Dame (home game)

USC- 2003 BCS champ
2003 Non-conference schedule
Auburn (road game)
BYU (home game)
Hawaii (home game)
Notre Dame (road game)

Ohio State- 2002 BCS champ
2002 Non-conference schedule
Texas Tech (home game)
Kent State (home game)
Washington State (home game)
Cincinnati (home game)
San Jose State (home game)

Miami- 2001 BCS champ
2001 Non-conference schedule
Penn State (road game)
Troy (home game)
Florida State (road game)
Washington (home game)

Oklahoma- 2000 BCS champ
2000 Non-conference schedule
UTEP (home game)
Arkansas State (home game)
Rice (home game)

That's exactly the word I'm talking about. HOPE. Get there first.

But you schedule years and years in advance. If we end the 2010 season ranked #9, we aren't going to be able to schedule the #5 team (or the #25 team) for the 2011 season.

I'd note that nothing in this thread serves as any kind of glowing endoresement for a series with the Bulldogs. The 'mid major' and money associated with 2-1 arrangement is your focus. BTW, what qualifies as a mid-major misses the point. The emphasis is that there are lots of other programs out there that would make a more attractive 2-1 series opponent, and are just as easy or easier than playing Fresno, yet more appealling on a number of different levels.

BTW, the last time CU played LSU in Baton Rouge was 1980, so this is really a once in a generation deal that not many CU fans have ever experienced. Now it is indefinately postponed.

By comparison, CU has faced Fresno during the regular season in '88, '98 and a disappointing outing in '01 that cost CU dearly, and probably more than this upcoming 2-1 series will recoup.

Once all the ticket sales, TV contracts and bowl implications, and alumni goodwill are sorted out, my back of the envelope guess is <$2.2M realized over 3 years, assuming CU generates $80m revenue over three years with LSU home-home, versus $82m over the same period with the benefit of the extra home game. That's less than Barnett buy-out money.

:yeahthat:

This entire "stack the deck" until we are a top program SUCKS!!!!

What they hell has happened to everyone's ball sack???
I call BS. Let the rest of wussy programs out there stack the OOC schedule. I want every game to be against a top BSC school out of conference. This attitude that it generates loses because it is a tough schedule is crap. If you want to be the best then act like. You do that by playing the best and kicking their butts! I say bring em on.

I don't want no sticken' MNC that was won on the backs of Fresno State, Hawaii, BSU, Montana State. If that is what we need to do to win a MNC. Then you can keep it.

:yeahthat:

This entire "stack the deck" until we are a top program SUCKS!!!!

What they hell has happened to everyone's ball sack???
I call BS. Let the rest of wussy programs out there stack the OOC schedule. I want every game to be against a top BSC school out of conference. This attitude that it generates loses because it is a tough schedule is crap. If you want to be the best then act like. You do that by playing the best and kicking their butts! I say bring em on.

I don't want no sticken' MNC that was won on the backs of Fresno State, Hawaii, BSU, Montana State. If that is what we need to do to win a MNC. Then you can keep it.

That's the way everybody else gets there. 2 scrubs 1 decent 1 power BINGO.
4 powerhouse teams nobody schedules like that anymore.

That's the way everybody else gets there. 2 scrubs 1 decent 1 power BINGO.
4 powerhouse teams nobody schedules like that anymore.

But I don't care about how the other teams do it. I have no respect for the "New" Formula that is being followed by the teams to win the MNC. It is crap. I don't want to watch CU beat up on 2 scrubs so they can pad their win/losses. I want to CU great games every weak. CU can't control the ICS, but they can at least control the OCS. They need to bring the best teams week in and week out.

If we are going to win a MNC I want it to be done the right way, not the easy way.

But you schedule years and years in advance. If we end the 2010 season ranked #9, we aren't going to be able to schedule the #5 team (or the #25 team) for the 2011 season.

If we ended the 2010 season ranked 9th I bet LSU would dump us. Look at that great 2011 schedule they have. UH, Tulane and NIU:wtf:. We are easily the best thing on their OOC. Who can say whether Cal will be ranked in the top 10 and Fresno in the top 25. The schedule is fine.

This scheduling talk always cracks me up..

LSU - 2007 BCS champ
2007 Non-conference schedule:
Virginia Tech (home game)
Middle Tennessee State (home game)
Tulane (home game)
Louisiana Tech (home game)

Florida- 2006 BCS champ
2006 Non-Conference Schedule:
Southern Mississippi (home game)
Central Florida (home game)
Western Carolina (home game)
Florida State (home game)

Texas- 2005 BCS champ
2005 Non-conference schedule:
Louisiana-Lafayette (home game)
Ohio State (road game)
Rice (home game)

USC- 2004 BCS champ
2004 Non-conference schedule
Virginia Tech (road game)
Colorado State (home game)
BYU (road game)
Notre Dame (home game)

USC- 2003 BCS champ
2003 Non-conference schedule
Auburn (road game)
BYU (home game)
Hawaii (home game)
Notre Dame (road game)

Ohio State- 2002 BCS champ
2002 Non-conference schedule
Texas Tech (home game)
Kent State (home game)
Washington State (home game)
Cincinnati (home game)
San Jose State (home game)

Miami- 2001 BCS champ
2001 Non-conference schedule
Penn State (road game)
Troy (home game)
Florida State (road game)
Washington (home game)

Oklahoma- 2000 BCS champ
2000 Non-conference schedule
UTEP (home game)
Arkansas State (home game)
Rice (home game)

Looks to me like the argument can go either way. Bottom line - win your games and you win national championships.

But I don't care about how the other teams do it. I have no respect for the "New" Formula that is being followed by the teams to win the MNC. It is crap. I don't want to watch CU beat up on 2 scrubs so they can pad their win/losses. I want to CU great games every weak. CU can't control the ICS, but they can at least control the OCS. They need to bring the best teams week in and week out.

If we are going to win a MNC I want it to be done the right way, not the easy way.

This scheduling thing is not as easy as you make it out to be. The AD needs to make money too. It's not as easy as just snapping your fingers and you get four top-line BCS teams on your schedule (not that I agree with the tactic anyway). Getting top-line teams to go on the road is not always the easiest thing to do, and CU needs at least two home OOC games a year.

Slade's list:
1990- 3-1-1
Tennessee (Tie) (Conference Champions)
Stanford (Win) (Stanford was 5-6 that year)
Illinois (Loss) (Conference Champions)
Texas (Win) (Texas was 10-2 that year - Conference Champions)
Washington (Win) (Washington was 10-2 that year - Conference Champions)

How in the hell could anyone say we deserved to share the MNC when we tied the SEC Champ, and beat the Big 10, PAc 10, and SWC champions? Oh yeah, we also beat the best independent team in the country when their program was at its peak.

F*** Osborne!

</Rant done>

This scheduling thing is not as easy as you make it out to be. The AD needs to make money too. It's not as easy as just snapping your fingers and you get four top-line BCS teams on your schedule (not that I agree with the tactic anyway). Getting top-line teams to go on the road is not always the easiest thing to do, and CU needs at least two home OOC games a year.

Yeah, but in the case we had LSU ON THE SCHEDULE and we chose to tuck tail.

It's one thing to fill slots that you are having trouble filling with a Mid-Major, but to remove a BCS team from the schedule and replace them with a Mid-Major is bogus.

JMHO.

Yeah, but in the case we had LSU ON THE SCHEDULE and we chose to tuck tail.

It's one thing to fill slots that you are having trouble filling with a Mid-Major, but to remove a BCS team from the schedule and replace them with a Mid-Major is bogus.

JMHO.
We blew it - this sucks. It would have been the road trip of a lifetime, and we stick our tails between our legs, and for what Fresno State? You only live once, why be scared? We just lost any right to criticize KSU.

Last edited:
We blew it - this sucks. It would have been the road trip of a lifetime, and we stick our tails between our legs, and for what Fresno State? You only live once, why be scared? We just lost any right to criticize KSU.

no we didnt..

Oh puh-leeeze. That's a little over-the-top. Don't we play at Hawaii that same year? How's that for a trip of a lifetime? Unreal.

If we ended the 2010 season ranked 9th I bet LSU would dump us. Look at that great 2011 schedule they have. UH, Tulane and NIU:wtf:. We are easily the best thing on their OOC. Who can say whether Cal will be ranked in the top 10 and Fresno in the top 25. The schedule is fine.

Hah!!! If.... they would dump us. WE dumped THEM!

With all this talk bordering on the INSANE. Fresno State will make the BCS in 2009. Mark it down and quote me on this one.

With all this talk bordering on the INSANE. Fresno State will make the BCS in 2009. Mark it down and quote me on this one.

You are missing the point. Boise St. made the BCS and BEAT Oklahoma in a bowl game in 2006. Would playing an ooc game vs Boise St. last year be anything like playing one vs LSU? See?

You are missing the point.

Probably, I see threads that become this long and its really difficult for me to stay focused after the 3rd page.

I appreciate some of your guy's passion, but I am physically unable to get pissed about a football schedule 3 years from now.

Oh puh-leeeze. That's a little over-the-top. Don't we play at Hawaii that same year? How's that for a trip of a lifetime? Unreal.

This has to be brown nosing of the CU AD. What else could it be? Sacky has not once acknowleged that it'll be 40 years inbetween Baton Rouge trips or that Fresno is an unfortunate opponent.

The posts = 'but we play Cal.' Or 'but we play Hawaii.'

Don't you recognize that CU gave up what was the greatest possible schedule occurring at a time when Darrell Scott is a Heisman candidate and Coach Hawkin's Buffs should be peaking? 2011 was set up to be a MASTERPIECE. The best schedule EVAR!

The collision between a great team and a perfect schedule is ruined.

When CU has won the 2011 mNC, that victory will have a big asterick next to it that asks, "What if?"

And when/if CU ever gets another chance to play in Baton Rouge, I might be too old to even care if LSU fans really do smell like corn dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you recognize that CU gave up what was the greatest possible schedule occurring at a time when Darrell Scott and Coach Hawkin's Buffs should be peaking? 2011 was set up to be a MASTERPIECE. The best schedule EVAR!

And that perfect season schedule was ruined.

When CU wins the nMC in 2011, that victory will have a big asterick next to it that asks, "What if?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

repped.

This has to be brown nosing of the CU AD. What else could it be? Sacky has not once acknowleged that it'll be 40 years inbetween Baton Rouge trips or that Fresno is an unfortunate opponent.

The posts = 'but we play Cal.' Or 'but we play Hawaii.'

Don't you recognize that CU gave up what was the greatest possible schedule occurring at a time when Darrell Scott and Coach Hawkin's Buffs should be peaking? 2011 was set up to be a MASTERPIECE. The best schedule EVAR!

And that perfect season schedule was ruined.

When CU wins the nMC in 2011, that victory will have a big asterick next to it that asks, "What if?"

And when/if CU ever gets another chance to play LSU on the road, I might be too old to even care if LSU fans really do smell like corn dogs.

40 years inbetween Baton Rouge trips, like that's supposed to be important? How long inbetween trips to Hawaii? How long inbetween trips to Tennessee? Or Auburn? Or Penn State? Or Ohio State? This is ridiculous. You make it sound like this was the golden opportunity of a lifetime. Get real. You want to see a game in Baton Rouge? Buy a ticket. The LSU fans will still smell like corndogs regardless of whether they're playing CU or not.

This entire argument is absurd, IMO. Is Fresno a comparable opponent to LSU? Of course not. But to make the argument that we're ducking LSU because we want an easier opponent is crazy talk. All that has happened is that we've replaced a freakish schedule with a pretty difficult one and will be paid better for the inconvenience.

Back